PDA

View Full Version : So Lee Valley is having free shipping...

Zach England
06-29-2011, 2:14 PM
What tool do I need?

NONE!

But which one should I order? Which one are YOU ordering?

Mike Nguyen
06-29-2011, 2:17 PM
I don't need it but I just ordered a BUS along with a 50* blade :D
Mike

george wilson
06-29-2011, 2:47 PM
I'm certainly not ordering any FILES!!!!:)

Zach England
06-29-2011, 2:56 PM
I don't need it but I just ordered a BUS along with a 50* blade :D
Mike

aready have :)

Chris Griggs
06-29-2011, 3:03 PM
Its funny how the opportunity to save $5-$10 can get so many of us (myself included) to suddenly spend a couple hundred bucks :D

I'm certainly not ordering any FILES!!!!:)

Can I tempt you with this... (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=32955&cat=1,43072,43086&ap=1) instead of some files ;)

Jim Neeley
06-29-2011, 3:11 PM
I'm working up my list.. including their small plow plane! The toughest part is deciding which items to order this week and which to hold off until next week! <g>

I'd like to share accolades for what I *particularly* like, that sets them apart from most vendors. When they offer free shipping in the Lower-48, they also offer a shipping discount for those of us in Alaska and other areas.

It's always been a sore point with me when vendors offer free shipping to some but charge others "full rate". Discounting what they'd pay for Lower-48 shipping is doing is certainly fair. It's not so much the $$$ (save $13.50 on my $500+ order) as it is feeling gouged.

Zahid Naqvi
06-29-2011, 3:15 PM
I wish I knew this was coming, I order a couple files late last week, I could have waited a few more days. I don't suppose they will accommodate back orders :(

Mike Nguyen
06-29-2011, 3:22 PM
Its funny how the opportunity to save $5-$10 can get so many of us (myself included) to suddenly spend a couple hundred bucks :D

Lee Valley usually offers free shipping twice a year so I usually make it an "event" to order hand tools that I want but don't need. Yike!

Chris Griggs
06-29-2011, 3:23 PM
I wish I knew this was coming, I order a couple files late last week, I could have waited a few more days. I don't suppose they will accommodate back orders :(

It's only on orders of $40 or more, so a couple of files alone wouldn't have gotten you free shipping anyway- not that it takes long to spend that much in an order - I'm pretty sure I've never spent under $40 on a Lee Valley order.

Hmmmmmmmmm, come to think of it I could use a few card scrapers and a decent burnisher, and that file holder for jointing saws and scrapers.

My next major purchase from them though will be the plow (or is it plough) plane and all the blades - Sadly it will need to wait as I just spent all my money my upcoming vacation :(.

The vacation will only last a week, the plane would have lasted a lifetime - I think I made the wrong choice.

Jim Neeley
06-29-2011, 3:25 PM
Mike,

Surely you misspoke.. Did you mean to say you *need* them so they're available when you need them right away?!! :D

David Weaver
06-29-2011, 3:26 PM
I wish I could think of something to order. Something that I need. This always comes up and three weeks after it ends, I'm looking for something and don't get it because I don't want to pay shipping.

Andrew Gibson
06-29-2011, 3:45 PM
I just ordered $50 worth of hardware yesterday. Literally missed free shipping by a few hours... ooh well thats a little carma stored up to come around later I guess.

The list of what I want is to long to tipe out right now... but the skew block and that routher plane with all the irons would be nice.

john brenton
06-29-2011, 3:52 PM
Thanks!!:mad::rolleyes: That was just enough to push me over the edge to buy vise screws. There is a creeker here who makes REEEEEEEEEEEALLY Nice 2" wood screws and I wanted to buy them from him, but I just couldn't justify it right now. I hope he does his debut here on the forum soon because he should be letting everyone know what he's making for such an good price.

I bought two screws, two handles, and two....files!

Frank Carnevale
06-29-2011, 7:28 PM
I just received my Veritas Plow Plane. Looking forward to doing some drawers :) There is also a 10% off coupon out there I believe but cant use with the free shipping one

Robert G Brown
06-29-2011, 10:03 PM
Worked out real good for me. About a week ago decided I wanted the Skew Registration Jig but in no hurry so I would wait for the free shipping. Saw the $40 limit and added the small-blade holder to the purchase. Sent it off this morning. Faster gratification than expected.

Eric McCune
06-29-2011, 10:45 PM
I'll find something and it will include pencils. I love their pencils. So nice to have a simple pencil that is easy to sharpen and works. I'm so sick of Chinese crap built to make American executives more money. Lee valley pencils are my form of protest. Well that and European tools.

george wilson
06-29-2011, 10:53 PM
Right!! Like I'm going to pay over $21.00 for a replacement saw file!! I think I'll just keep struggling along sharpening them freehand(struggle,struggle,sweat,sweat!)

Shaun Mahood
06-29-2011, 11:40 PM
I've got a Lee Valley store 5 minutes from work.

It's quite dangerous - some weeks I've gone there pretty much every day.

Zach England
06-30-2011, 12:35 AM
Small scraping plane is calling my name...

Wes Grass
06-30-2011, 2:24 AM
Clamps. Last time they did this I got a big box full of big Bessey clamps. But I don't think I have room to stash anymore right now ...

Now, if they sold anvils ... that'd be the thing to wait for free shipping on.

Trevor Walsh
06-30-2011, 7:18 AM
I may be going for the LH skew rabbet plane, but I think I might need the LN cabinet makers block plane more...

David Weaver
06-30-2011, 8:37 AM
Clamps. Last time they did this I got a big box full of big Bessey clamps. But I don't think I have room to stash anymore right now ...

Don't we all wish they sold anvils. Don't we all wish anyone sold a good anvil cheap.

glenn bradley
06-30-2011, 8:47 AM
I wish I could think of something to order. Something that I need. This always comes up and three weeks after it ends, I'm looking for something and don't get it because I don't want to pay shipping.

I use their Wish List for this. I dump things in the wish list as I think of them and then order when free shipping is offered.

Andrew Gibson
06-30-2011, 9:51 AM

I can offer some storage space for your clamps if you want to pick some up now with the free shipping, then you can make room for them at your leisure.

Also if anyone wants to stash a few tools in my shop so the wife does not get suspicious, I would be happy to offer some space.

Will Winder
06-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks, finally ordered the Mk. II Honing Guide

Rob Lee
06-30-2011, 5:16 PM
I just received my Veritas Plow Plane. Looking forward to doing some drawers :) There is also a 10% off coupon out there I believe but cant use with the free shipping one

Hi Frank -

That coupon's not ours!!!! We don't do discount coupons!

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee
06-30-2011, 5:17 PM
Don't we all wish they sold anvils. Don't we all wish anyone sold a good anvil cheap.

Hi David -

Got an anvil in the work right now....

... only 10lbs though...

Cheers -

Rob

David Weaver
06-30-2011, 5:19 PM
Maybe that will grow into a 150 pound cast steel anvil over time as more are added to the line :)

Rob Lee
06-30-2011, 5:22 PM
Maybe that will grow into a 150 pound cast steel anvil over time as more are added to the line :)

Well....

Let's see how we do with the 10 pounder first....! ;)

Cheers -

Rob

Ed Looney
06-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Came home from work tonight and there it was; the box with the goodies inside. I ordered the low angle jack plane along with the 38 and 50 deg blades last week. I did not know that the free shipping was just around the corner or I would have wated. However there is a bright side to this story. I get the first new tool gloat.:D

Ed

Jim Neeley
06-30-2011, 11:49 PM
Ed, you *dawg*... but remember, without pictures, it never happened!! <g>

David Weaver
07-01-2011, 8:37 AM
Well....

Let's see how we do with the 10 pounder first....! ;)

Cheers -

Rob

I'll put my vote in for a soderfors style anvil with a surface ground top an inch thick and about 52-54 hardness!!

You can call it an infill planemaker's anvil. :)

george wilson
07-01-2011, 9:55 AM
It is costing $1500.00 per anvil just to get the new 300# early style anvil i made a pattern for cast. Haven't seen one with the top ground yet. This is the early type one with 5 feet,and a rather smallish looking horn. I was finishing it up when I retired. I posted a picture of the first sample casting if you search for it. They got the first one back,and the hardie hole was too large for some reason. It is very hard to get someone to cast a tool steel anvil these days.

If you care to see my anvils,search "Anvils I made the patterns for" by George Wilson. The blacksmith shop has been using the first type since the 1970's. Pattern got lost when the foundry in Texas went out of business. The latest one has 5 feet,the extra one being in the center of the side of the body. It is a remnant of very early anvils with "church windows",or arched looking features forged into their sides.

David Weaver
07-01-2011, 10:07 AM
I remember hearing or seeing that there is nobody who is doing..can't remember the step, the forging? or maybe it was the heat treating of a cast steel anvil these days.

Someone sold me an anvil, sold it to me as a soderfors but I don't see a mark on it. It is that pattern of anvil, though, and I would imagine that there will not be a surface ground version of such a thing because (maybe?) a blacksmith wouldn't care about perfect flatness like that.

I still haven't done anything with my anvil because I haven't peined another plane since I got it, but maybe I can change that soon.

It took me a while to find an anvil with a good flat top that wasn't too small (mine is 125 pounds, a good easy-to-move size), and I paid dearly to get it ($325).

That isn't close to as dear as a new one would have to cost, though.

(I posted these last year, I'd still love to know if there's any way to tell who actually made the anvil).

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=166389&d=1288966903

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=166388&d=1288966894

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=166387&d=1288966894

george wilson
07-01-2011, 10:14 AM
They want a flat top,all right. Probably after hardening,grinding is the easiest way to get the top flat these days. I have seen a few old,never used anvils,and they looked ground on top. As cast,there draft angles on the top of the anvils,like a very low pitch roof. These have to be eliminated. Of course,old anvils were forged,with the steel top welded on,but no one does that work any more.

Jim Neeley
07-05-2011, 1:34 AM
so today I got one on order. :D

I did ask about the upcoming wide blades but they're not yet available.

I feel a full-fledged gloat coming on!! :)

Jim

Zach England
07-05-2011, 12:04 PM
I ordered a couple of squares and an angle-finder. I just don't need any planes. I have planes I have never even sharpened.

But I think I MIGHT need a few more irons for Krenov plane projects.

Wait...I don't need any more planes....right?

Is MAKING a plane OK even if I cannot justify BUYING one?

Will Boulware
07-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Just ordered a tail vise screw (to make a leg vise out of) and the inset vise for my Nicholson/Schwarz/big-fat-apron-on-the-front bench I'm building. Very excited about these items. Thanks to Mr. Lee for the free shipping!

paul cottingham
07-05-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm not sure what is worse, having to wait for free shipping, or living 5 minutes away from a Lee Valley. I know which one my wife would pick......:-)

David Weaver
07-05-2011, 1:23 PM
Is MAKING a plane OK even if I cannot justify BUYING one?

It's always OK! Buy some metal for the sides and the bottom while you're at it. Building planes is nice. Building types you'd never be able to justify spending the money on is even better.

Mark Godlesky
07-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Here is what I got during the latest free shipping deal. I've had my eye on one for a while. Sweet!

Archie England
07-19-2011, 12:00 AM
drool!!!!!!

Mark Godlesky
07-19-2011, 8:43 PM
So no one else got any new toys, uh tools, during the free shipping deal???

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-19-2011, 9:14 PM
I got a gift certificate to Lee Valley for my birthday. My birthday was the 12th. The day after free shipping ended! Murphy's law again. Oh well. Wish I had known that was coming, I might have asked for it a day early...

Tom Vanzant
07-19-2011, 10:56 PM
Joshua, that's what I did. The free shipping expired between Fathers' Day and my birthday, so I put out the word and got a two-fer, now 92% depleted.