PDA

View Full Version : Double-cut saw?

Jason Dreyer
06-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Anyone have one of these? I saw an infomercial for one about a month back, and now it looks like HF is offering one as well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/doublecut-saw.html (http://www.harborfreight22.com/r2/r4.asp?r=16453_32012&i=Q31054C02H002&)

The HF model is $90, whereas the version on the infomercial was something like $190. Just curious if anyone has either of these and what they think.

Jerome Hanby
06-29-2011, 11:52 AM
I've seen the infomercials. Scares the willies out of me.

Paul Stoops
06-29-2011, 12:01 PM
My cousin has one of the originals and I was impressed by how well it works for metal cutting. Pretty spendy, tho. The reviews on the HF model don't look too promising.

paul cottingham
06-29-2011, 1:03 PM
My favorite line: "because its from harbor freight tools, you know you are getting the best value for your money."

Larry Edgerton
06-29-2011, 7:07 PM
I tried one of the originals when they were selling for about $400. If you can imagine trying to make a straight cut with an angle grinder, well, there you have it. It is strainge not to have the saw blade pulling into the cut, so maybe that is an advantage. They say you can cut steel with the carbide blade set supplied, but we took off half the teeth on mild steel. i=It cut steel fast, but for how long? And what do blades cost?

If I had one, I doubt that I would ever use it, but who knows........

John M Wilson
06-29-2011, 9:04 PM
I saw (no pun intended) these being used by Nascar pit crews to quickly remove sheetmetal on damaged race cars a few years ago. Since those folks have nearly unlimited budgets, and value quick work over anything else, I was intrigued. Craftsman (IIRC) made a big splash at the time about their particular version (don't recall the name right now...) They seemed to come and go fairly quickly, however, and now I notice that the sheetmetal cutting tool of choice for pit crews in a hurry appears to be a battery powered sawzall.