PDA

View Full Version : Master Machinery 8" Jointer

Paul Zonneveld
06-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Noticed a Master Machinery 8" jointer for sale on my local craigslist and I have never heard of that brand before. Did a quick google search and did not come up with much. Any of you guys heard of this brand before. for $300 would this be a good buy? Its a 220V machine which I really like as well.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chuck Wintle
06-29-2011, 11:43 AM
you should go and check it out in person to see the condition and if any negotiating is possible. it is likely an asian import with just a name one it.

Paul Zonneveld
06-29-2011, 1:03 PM
I think it may be an import but wanted to see if anyone knew anymore about this tool before I take a look at it.

Jerry Marcantel
06-29-2011, 1:12 PM
It's a more than likely a Chinese made jointer, made in Tiawan in the 80's. I have a 36" wide belt sander with a Master Machinery label on it. Recently aquired it, but the previous owners defeated all the saftey protocals, and I can only get it to run for only 30 seconds at a time........... It's well made, and everything wants to work.
If that jointer is made by the same people, I believe it's good. Is there a picture, and if there is, does it look like any of our American named jointers, like PM, Rockwell/Delta, yates, or others..... Jerry (in Tucson)

Paul Zonneveld
06-29-2011, 1:25 PM
Thanks for the response Jerry. This is one of the images attached to the craigslist add.

http://images.craigslist.org/3k83p73l05O45Q25R5b6n61788a9850121373.jpg

Dave Gaul
06-29-2011, 1:35 PM
Paul, that looks EXACTLY like the 6" one I got off of CL a while ago, same colors and all, except for the front. I bet you'll find "made in Taiwan" somewhere on it. Mine has served well after many hours of tuning and some elbow grease, but I would negotiate!

Mine was labeled "IMS"

Chip Lindley
06-29-2011, 3:38 PM
It's hard to find an 8" jointer anywhere for $300. Go For It!

David Nelson1
06-29-2011, 3:56 PM
Double down on what Chip said. Run don't walk.

Paul Zonneveld
06-29-2011, 5:29 PM
Agreed and I am going to check it out today however I just want to get a feel for whether or not this will be a good tool or a heavy paperweight:)

Chip Lindley
06-29-2011, 9:09 PM
Paul, the jointer is just a generic Chinese machine, but if the tables are flat and the motor runs, it's hard to go wrong. Even if it needs a replacement motor or bearings, that's not so bad. Warped tables or fence would be the deal breaker.

Paul Zonneveld
06-29-2011, 11:59 PM
well I will be checking it out tomorrow and taking a straight edge with me to check the table and fences. What other suggestions do you guys have to look for tomorrow? I will check to make sure it runs but what would be some of the other items to look for?

John Coloccia
06-30-2011, 12:06 AM
well I will be checking it out tomorrow and taking a straight edge with me to check the table and fences. What other suggestions do you guys have to look for tomorrow? I will check to make sure it runs but what would be some of the other items to look for?

Take two pieces of wood with you. Joint them. Candle the joint. If it's a good joint, fine...you can use the wood you just straightened as a straight edge to look for warps in the table. If it's a bad joint, why bother checking the tables any further? At that point, you would have to assume that any issues you find are correctable AND that there are no further issues which aren't. Personally, I wouldn't care too much about the fence. I can always buy a flat piece of metal or wood, screw it to the fence and shim it to correct fence issues. I care if the thing makes not-straight wood straight.

Just my opinion.

Wayne Ashing
06-30-2011, 12:30 AM
I believe Homier, the truck sales co used to sell that brand. Seems the tables shorter like on the 6" Rigid I had at one time.
Almost bought one myself several years ago.

Paul Zonneveld
06-30-2011, 12:31 AM
Wow John talk about a KISS moment (keep it simple stupid). I didn't even think of that. Just put a piece in the truck to check it tomorrow.

Mark Godlesky
07-02-2011, 2:19 PM
Sooo... did you get the jointer?

Paul Zonneveld
07-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Yes picked it up last week for $250:). Could not run the board through the jointer as they did not have a 220V outlet in the garage where the jointer was being stored. Also the blades were shot. did not have a lot of time this weekend but I did get it cleaned up and the tables cleaned up. Motor seems to run just fine. Ordered some blades for it and they should be here this week. I did have one question though. Is there a way to adjust the infeed table a little. there is some sag to the table and I am not sure that there is any way to adjust for this. any advice would be appreciated. Will post some pics soon.

Don Jarvie
07-05-2011, 1:53 PM
The tables are probably ride along dovetails (where the iron meets at the table and base). Look at the back one and see if there is a piece of metal acting as a shim. If there is you can push this up towards the top on to the bottom and this can take out any sag at either end.

I have a Reliant 6 inch but looking at the picture they appear similar in design. You may be able to get a manual from Harbor Frieght or Grizzly. Just see which model looks like yours.

It may not be a bad idea to remove the tables and give everything a good cleaning and paste wax.