PDA

View Full Version : Pedastals for DR table?

Steve Stack
06-29-2011, 9:42 AM
Long time been gone but have a question for the furniture makers here. I'm planning to build my daughter a DR table now that she graduated college. Plan on a table top around 7'X42-48" and want to mount it on a double pedastal base, with three feet coming off each pedastal and a stretcher joining the two pedastals instead of a fourth foot. What diameter should the pedastals be at the largest and smallest circumference of the turning and would you glue up a solid or hollow blank? Thanks,
Steve

David Reed
06-29-2011, 10:06 AM
I have not done the double pedestal thing but have made several hollow single pedestals. I would think since doubled with a stretcher that anything over about 3 inches would be sound. I very much like the appearance of larger (hollow) pedestals. I have done from 4inches to 12 inches and they give some visual mass to the base. It also makes it easier to attach removable legs with nuts on the inside. Plus I really think it is fun to turn these. Here is a pic of my most recent (single) pedestal. A new design for me - simple with fluting.