PDA

View Full Version : Northern VA WW Show

Ken Robb
02-13-2005, 6:55 PM
Any of you MD & VA SMCer's going to the WW show in Chantily next weekend? Taking the LOML & son for the weekend. I'll be at the Show bright & early Sat morning with my want list in hand. Going to get some needed safety items from Micro Jig including a Grr-ripper & a thin kerf splitter. Also planning on a Forrest WWII if the price is right, a new router table plate, some Jointech accessories, and if I have any money left then visit the LV booth to check out some of that "tailess" woodworker stuff that Terry & John M have become addicted to.

To justify my time at the Show scoring new tools I bribed the LOML. Sometime in the midafternoon I'll swing back to the Hotel for the LOML's turn. We'll be off to the Tyson I & II malls for some serious shoppping! I called the credit card company on Fri to up our credit limit.

My 8-1/2 year old son is thrilled too. We scored a mini suite with my travel points that includes a 4 person hottub. They have an indoor pool too. I also promised to let him play Nintendo on the room's TV. A very inexpensive bribe compared to LOML.

Hope to meet some SMCer's at the Show.

Ken

Michael Gabbay
02-13-2005, 7:36 PM
Ken - I'll be there. Might I also recommend a dinner at Clydes in Reston Town Center? Call ahead and make reservations. They offer a 30 minute wait instead of the usual hour to 2 hours. Some other nice places near by are Dulles Mall. It's off of Rt 28 about 20 minute drive from the show. Reston Town Center is about 20 minutes as well.

Mike

JayStPeter
02-13-2005, 8:01 PM
I'll be there at some point during the weekend. Haven't really firmed up my weekend plans yet. Only thing that I know is out is Sat evening. Maybe some input from this thread will help me decide between Sat AM and Sun.

Jay

Paul Di Biasio
02-13-2005, 9:53 PM
I'll be there as well, hopefully Sat Morning. I'll probably be hanging around the Minimax booth.

Dave Brandt
02-14-2005, 7:37 AM
I'll probably be there too. We'll most likely be moving more south in the next year, so I'm on double-secret tool buying probation. Need to touch a few of the European flavored saws and combos so I'll know what I want after the move. Hope to see some SMC hats there.

Douglas Robinson
02-14-2005, 9:11 AM
Look for a Woodcentral hat as I don't have a SMC hat.

Chris Mann
02-14-2005, 4:13 PM
I'd like to try and swing by Friday for a bit. Really want to check out the minimax machines.
Never been to one of the big shows, are there actually deals to be had at shows like this or is it more of a chance to get to see everything up close and in person?

Douglas Robinson
02-14-2005, 4:18 PM
My experience is that the end of the day on Sunday is usually the best time to try to get a "deal." Exhibitors sometimes are willing to give an extra amount off the show price just so they do not have to pack up the item and lug it to the next show. (This is only true sometimes, not all the time) I got a good deal last year on a router lift mechanism and got them to thrown in the template for routing out the opening in the router table top for the plate for free.

I have no idea whether one can get a deal on a minimax machine.

Jim Becker
02-14-2005, 4:25 PM
I have no idea whether one can get a deal on a minimax machine.
You can if you pre-buy the show floor model...no shipping cost and they clean it (for the most part) for you. The show special prices are also good, but you do pay shipping on top.

Chris Mann
02-15-2005, 8:40 AM
Oh, I'm just lusting at minimax, but there's no way it fits in the budget at this point. I was more wondering about general stuff, like lie-nielsen planes and wood and saw blades.

Sam Blasco
02-15-2005, 10:01 AM
I'll be there, in the Mini Max booth, and look forward to meeting with and talking to fellow Creekers.