PDA

View Full Version : Producing 3D/Vector Graphics From Photos

Wayne Kilford
06-29-2011, 8:41 AM
This message may be dupplicated but it may also have not made the screen for some reason:rolleyes:

Hello again and thank you to everyone for your replies.

I will just mention a little bit more about what it is I am trying to achieve. I work with YAG lasers designed for engraving in metallic items only, typically for Mould maker’s; logos, part numbers, symbols etc. We also have a machine capable of engraving 3D images using the Artcam software.

We have the ability to make 3D models but the idea is if a customer wants a certain picture from a photo or drawing engraving into a steel plate etc we would then like to try and produce a model from this (Ideally the grayscale graphic).

I Have trialed the Gantry logo sample and the results were pretty remarkable. I understand that it is painstaking business and is not so cost effective, but if possible I would like to uncover how to create these graphics myself and what particular software I may need to use.

Once again thank you for your time, your answers are much appreciated.

Wayne

3D Lasertec Ltd, UK

PS
If it is not a possibility to produce the 3D Greyscale files directly from the photo image, are you regulars able to suggest a file that is possible to convert/arise from an image to produce the picture as 2D or 3D graphic, what format would this be?

Dan Hintz
06-29-2011, 10:05 AM
A number of us replied to your earlier (similar) post with some useful info... why start a new one?

Doug Griffith
06-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Dan's post from your previous thread pretty much said it all.

In a nutshell - 2D grayscale images use light and dark to represent highlights and shadows. 3D grayscale images use light and dark to represent highs and lows. They are completely different animals. There isn't a magic process that can read a 2D image and automatically create a TRUE 3D image.

Dan Hintz
06-29-2011, 11:14 AM
There isn't a magic process that can read a single 2D image and automatically create a TRUE 3D image.
Fixed that, before someone jumps in with examples from Microsoft, MIT, etc. While it can be done, it's well outside the realm of what's being asked... but I wanted to be thorough.

Martin Boekers
06-29-2011, 6:59 PM
Here is your original post;

www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?168185-Producing-Grayscale-Graphics-From-Photos&p=1727330&highlight=#post1727330 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?168185-Producing-Grayscale-Graphics-From-Photos&p=1727330&highlight=#post1727330)

You can find what you previously posted by clicking on your name.

ArtCam is some pretty strong software. Check with them for seminars.
No press a button and "instant-chango" 3D

Wayne Kilford
06-30-2011, 4:11 AM
Sorry to all, new in this Forum world

I got 'warnings' about featuring our web-site and could not find the last entry, so assumed the thread had been zapped as no replies etc came from that day, I did not send the web-site as advertising just thought you would all be interested in our market area.

Also the first thread was fixed on 3D greyscales, I need a way to get the image out of the photo onto a steel surface, this could be a face or a pattern and would need to be recognisable as the person / animal in the picture. Artcam is the main software in use this does allow me to use the Lithophane idea as a surface texture but it still looks a little odd when I can not shine a light through the finished product

When I see some of your web-sites I see images engraved into wood surfaces that are recognizable as fish, bear, etc and in a similar context I have a grey coloured surface with a grey engraving to reproduce all the shades within the photo, you have the pine wood with a darker pine coloured engraving and the likeness shows through.

All the help received from you guy�s is appreciated any new thoughts taken on board and investigated, maybe I can feature a photo when I have achieved the goal

Thanks again
Wayne