PDA

View Full Version : Wood gloat

David Reed
06-28-2011, 10:10 PM
I don't know how this happened but I misplaced this nice BLM burl. Now you may ask how could something of this size be misplaced199726 and I have no valid defense. I found it in a dark corner of the barn today. Now I need to decide just what to do with it. Any thoughts?

Jim Burr
06-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Holy cow!!! All my ideas are based on purely selfish thoughts!

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2011, 10:20 PM
I can see how it got misplaced... you probably been walking by it all this time and thought it was a hill! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

David E Keller
06-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Whew! I looked at the picture before I read the caption, and I thought you had an enormous mole that had taken over your entire body with the exception of your head! I'm relieved to find out that it's just a burl.

If it were me, I'd chunk it up and make smaller, roundish things from it.

Tim Thiebaut
06-29-2011, 12:54 AM
Holy smokes...now thats a burl!! And BLM no less....I am SO jealous right now.

neil mackay
06-29-2011, 2:53 AM
:) I love it when something like this turns up out of the wood heap. As to what to turn199764
depends on its shape. If its like this one, then you can slive it up into all sotrs of HV bowls etc

Rick Markham
06-29-2011, 4:27 AM
David, I'm happy when I find $5 in a winter coat pocket, If I found that just kicking around somewhere I'd be overjoyed! That's absolutely fantastic. You look pretty happy in the pic!

Neil, That is incredible. That's nearly a perfect sphere

Donny Lawson
06-29-2011, 6:34 AM
Very nice re-find. It should make for alot of nice turnings.

John Keeton
06-29-2011, 7:13 AM
WOW!!! David, that is a wonderful find, and after being "on the road" for a while, this has to be a great start to a round of turning. If you turn off the end of your Jet, I would have to consider a cross section of that thing for a huge wall hanging. One could do some really neat stuff with that, but I imagine a Woodmizer would be a requirement for that.

Then you could use a lot of the NE for various turnings, including some hollow forms.

Very nice burl!!

David Reed
06-29-2011, 8:57 AM
If you turn off the end of your Jet, I would have to consider a cross section of that thing for a huge wall hanging. One could do some really neat stuff with that, but I imagine a Woodmizer would be a requirement for that.

John: I like that thought. A large platter sliced off the base then chunk up the remainder. And I have an outboard toolrest nearly completed apparently just for this project.
It would require a really big Woodmizer so that won't likely happen. Always seems kind of a shame to turn most of these into dust.
thanks all for the thoughts

Baxter Smith
06-29-2011, 12:34 PM
So how big is that across? Or are you a fisherman too David?;) (My friends all make sure they hold their fish well out in front of them when they have their pictures taken!):)

David E Keller
06-29-2011, 8:42 PM
So how big is that across? Or are you a fisherman too David?;) (My friends all make sure they hold there fish well out in front of them when they have their pictures taken!):)

That's funny, Baxter... I thought about that too.

Rick Markham
06-29-2011, 9:35 PM
I'd be tempted to turn a giant set of natural edge nested bowls out of that. It looks like it would fit nicely outboard on my mustard monster... but I'm "not all there" at times :eek:

David Reed
06-30-2011, 9:55 AM
So how big is that across? Or are you a fisherman too David?;) (My friends all make sure they hold their fish well out in front of them when they have their pictures taken!):)
I thought about that after I viewed the picture. The burl measures 34x30 inches and about 12-14 at the thickest. Of course that is using my 'fishing tape' so who knows.

I'd be tempted to turn a giant set of natural edge nested bowls out of that. It looks like it would fit nicely outboard on my mustard monster... but I'm "not all there" at times :eek:
That would be cool but would require a giant woodsaver.
Guess I'll have to keep it in view of the lathe while I think on the subject.

Baxter Smith
06-30-2011, 10:59 AM
.... The burl measures 34x30 inches and about 12-14 at the thickest. Of course that is using my 'fishing tape' so who knows.
That is a big fish! Johns idea of cutting a slab off the bottom would give you a nice NE platter or wall hanging. At someone elses suggestion I did that with a large burl I had.(though not as big) It ended up about 27 across so I was able to it with my chainsaw. It retained more of the burls character and I was thankful for the suggestion. It is finished but I was hoping to get a picture of it in use before posting.