PDA

View Full Version : gloat? maybe, any input?

curtis rosche
06-28-2011, 8:17 PM
i was lookin around our second shop at work and i found some pulleys i could use on my lathe, i asked about them and was pointed to a gear box that had been used on a line shaft in what used to be a metal shop. i was told i could have it for $20

i will have pictures of it when i clean it up, right now its so covered in crud that a picture wouldnt do any good.

the gear box is a Turner UNIDRIVE gear box, 8 or 9 speeds i forget.
i took the cover off and it all looks great on the inside, but i know nothing about it like the oil or what its max speed is.

here is a picture similar to what i have. it looks the same only mine is blue and has different pulley attached.

im thinking i can use this gear box as a speed control. it can go from a ratio of 4:1 all the way to 1:2.
can it be used on a lathe? do you think it would work in a vertical position?
what oil can i put in it?

Donny Lawson
06-28-2011, 9:50 PM
I don't see why you could not use it on a lathe. I would probally use 90wt in it since it looks like a gear box type.

curtis rosche
06-28-2011, 11:44 PM
can this type of gear box be used in a vertical position?

curtis rosche
06-29-2011, 12:02 AM
the plate on the gear box says to use mobil "BB" oil.
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENINDMOMobil_DTE_Oil_Double_Letter.aspx
is there an oil similar that is cheaper?

Dennis Ford
06-29-2011, 1:25 PM
I think that any 90 wt would be OK for the limited use it will get on a lathe. I would NOT change the orientation though, that would likely cause problems with lubrication.

Ed Morgano
06-29-2011, 5:23 PM
can this type of gear box be used in a vertical position?

Curtis,
I don't know why you would want the shaft vertical? But, gearboxes are usually designed to be mounted in different positions. They will have a drain plug and a vent plug. These can usually be positioned so the bottom half of the gear box has oil in it and the vent plug is on the top to take care of the air in the gear box getting hot and expanding. Without a vent plug, that expansion will force the oil out one of the shaft seals. Good luck.

curtis rosche
06-29-2011, 11:10 PM
i was thinking the orientaion could be so that the levers are facing up and the shafts are still horizontal, but the vent would leak oil then.