PDA

View Full Version : My Second burl form

Ed Morgano
06-28-2011, 5:59 PM
I ended up with another goblet. This is from an ambrosia maple burl. Pedistal and finial are holly. All is dyed and 3 coats of spray laquer. Not buffed yet but it will be. C&C Always welcome.

David E Keller
06-28-2011, 6:04 PM
That's pretty cool, Ed, and I can see the progress from the first. It may just be the photo, but the finial doesn't look quite as smooth as the pedestal. As a matter of preference, I'd like to see the upper portion of the finial a bit narrower between the top detail and the onion. I love the teal color, and I think you did an nice job with the elongated ogee shape of the bell. I'm already looking forward to your next one!

Ed Morgano
06-28-2011, 6:34 PM
That's pretty cool, Ed, and I can see the progress from the first. It may just be the photo, but the finial doesn't look quite as smooth as the pedestal. As a matter of preference, I'd like to see the upper portion of the finial a bit narrower between the top detail and the onion. I love the teal color, and I think you did an nice job with the elongated ogee shape of the bell. I'm already looking forward to your next one!

David,
You're absolutely right about the finial not being as smooth. I really wasn't quite finished. It still needs some sanding and another coat of laquer and then some buffing. I was anxious to get some pictures up here for comments. I'm still practicing on the finials and I WILL get better. Thanks for the comments, they are appreciated.

Jim Burr
06-28-2011, 6:42 PM
First thing I noticed...other than the fact these are way above me...is the finish. Very metallic/mirrored looking... I love it and am still staring at it. Along with Doc...I noticed the grain about 1/2 way up the finial. Practice should fix that. I think it's beautiful Ed...very well done!!

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2011, 9:52 PM
Ed - I really like the color combination on this but have to wonder what it would look like if you had left the Holly natural.... always something! Be sure to post some photos of it once it has been finished. Thanks!

Ron Bontz
06-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Just beautiful. End of story. Congrats.

John Keeton
06-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Ed, you are making headway quickly!! You might try finishing the finial/stem on the lathe to completion. It seems to work better for me doing it that way.

Ed Morgano
06-29-2011, 6:50 AM
I polished up the finial and lid and put another coat of laquer on it. Here are the final picutres.

John Keeton
06-29-2011, 6:55 AM
That helped, Ed! Very nice color on this one.

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-29-2011, 7:12 AM
Ed,
You have a terrific color and design sense. I like the blue. This piece will make someone proud to own.
faust

David Reed
06-29-2011, 9:04 AM
Ed;
I really like what you did with the double ogees. Very well executed and the color adds interest and a unique quality. The pedestal is also quite well done but I agree that the finial is a bit chunky.
Very nice at any level but outstanding for a second piece!

bob svoboda
06-29-2011, 9:24 AM
That's a very nice piece of work, Ed. The color is stunning.

Tim Rinehart
06-29-2011, 9:56 AM
Ed, the pedestal is perfect in my opinion, the color is cool and as said, metallic looking which makes it interesting. I think with a revised finial...it's a winner. Excellent progress...I too am looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Baxter Smith
06-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Nice job Ed. You and your lathe are turning some neat things!