PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Bandit Struck Again!!!

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2011, 5:22 PM
I've been busy getting things back in order after attending the AAW symposium - yard work, laundry, groceries, etc. I went out to get the mail and found this sitting on my doorstep!!

The box obviously had a great story to tell but I couldn't wait ... so I opened it up (sure didn't take much to open!!) to find this....

WOW! I don't believe I have ever seen Chilean Mesquite! Absolutely beautiful wood and it has a wonderful smell! I know lots of folks talk about the smell of mesquite but this is the very first time I have ever smelled any - even though I have turned a few dry pieces.

Just for reference for those curious.... the piece on the right is 3 1/2" x 4" by 10" long and the large block is 9" x 9 1/2" x 5 1/2" thick! Gonna make for some beautiful turnings!

Beautiful wood! Thank you so very much Kathy! You really made my day! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Roger Chandler
06-28-2011, 5:32 PM
What a nice lady, that Kathy M! She just keeps on blessing others. What a nice piece of wood............I for one look forward to what you will do with this one Steve...........should make for something special for sure!

David E Keller
06-28-2011, 5:36 PM
What a wonderful surprise! Looking forward to seeing what you make from it.

Ed Morgano
06-28-2011, 5:52 PM
Kathy,
I knew that's what you were talking about in the other thread. Or at least I figured it was....you've been sending wood to so many. That was sweet. I know Steve will enjoy it.

Scott Hackler
06-28-2011, 6:03 PM
Yep, that Kathy is the best!!

Dick Wilson
06-28-2011, 6:21 PM
I wonder if Kathy has my address:confused::confused::confused::confused::co nfused::confused::confused:;);):D:D:D:D

Tim Thiebaut
06-28-2011, 7:03 PM
Congrats Steve!! That is so nice of Kathy to do this for people! If you can save your shavings Steve and you can use them the next time you guys BBQ.

Bernie Weishapl
06-28-2011, 7:31 PM
Congrats Steve. Kathy is a wood angel for sure. She is the best.

John Hart
06-28-2011, 8:22 PM
Yer gonna love it Steve. Green mesquite is heaven to turn. Kathy...You Rock!!!! :)

Kathy Marshall
06-29-2011, 12:06 AM
You're very welcome Steve!
The box looks a little worse for wear, I'd hate to think what the contents would have looked like had it been something fragile!
I'm sorry to hear you've never been blessed with the experience of turning mesquite, but happy I could fix that lack!
Warning! Turning green mesquite can become addicting!
Have fun and can't wait to see what you come up with!

allen thunem
06-29-2011, 8:58 AM
out of curiosity kathy where and how did you acquire chilean mesquite?
grow wild in az?

Baxter Smith
06-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Congrats Steve. Looks like some amazing wood! Steve needed another thrill Kathy! Hasn't had many lately!;):D

Rob Cunningham
06-29-2011, 1:23 PM
Really nice of you Kathy. Steve, I can't wait to see what you make from this.

Kathy Marshall
06-30-2011, 11:35 AM
out of curiosity kathy where and how did you acquire chilean mesquite?
grow wild in az?

Allen, chilean mesquite is not native here buts its very heavily planted as a landscape tree. It is literally planted everywhere and is pretty suceptible to wind damage so availability is pretty good.

Donny Lawson
06-30-2011, 5:36 PM
That was very nice. Now where is mine??????????? :DOh, I'm sorry I'm wood poor at the moment.

Rick Markham
07-04-2011, 6:21 AM
I can't wait to see what you make Steve! Kathy sure is sneaky... ;)