PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of new turnings including my first HF

Chris Burgess
06-28-2011, 3:49 PM
Here are a couple of new items off my new old lathe.

1st is my first successful spindle. It is not that tall and made from the pith of some Spalted Oak. It was more of a test to see if I could do it yet w/ out snapping it. It is about 1/8" at it thinest and 3' tall.

2nd is a small box. It is Pecan w/ a Spalted Oak lid. Not sure I care for the lid on it much as there is really no contrast but I like both pieces separate Maybe I will make a Corian lid for the box and a new Oak bowl for the lid.....

Here is my first attempt at an HF. The opening grew like you would not believe, not even sure it qualifies as an HF anymore:confused:. The opening is 3" and the bowl is 7.25" x 2.25". I don'thave any hollowing tools so it is about 1/4" thick on the top and bottom but the top tapers down and the side is likely close to 1/2". All I have right now is a 3/8" fingernail gouge to get in there. I plan on making some goose neck scrapers but funds are limited.....Maybe next month. I plan to make a lid but again I do not have any contrasting wood so I was thinking about one from Corian again. We will see what inspires me. Will post when done.

Now a question. How on earth do you sand he inside of the HF's? The far reaches look pretty bad inside there.

As always your comments are appreciated and needed.

Thanks for looking.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

David E Keller
06-28-2011, 5:55 PM
Neat stuff, Chris. The little eccentric finial on the lidded form is a nice touch, but I'm not sure about the wood combo... I'll have to think on that. I'm amazed that you were able to hollow as much of that third piece as you did given the tools at hand. A little cold rolled steel and some HSS cutters from Enco will get you started on hollowing pretty cheaply if you're interested.

As for the sanding the inside of hollow forms, well, it sucks! I think the best trick is to make the opening so small that you can't really see in there... In that case, you only have to sand as far as another turner's finger will reach. You can hold sandpaper in a hemostat or with a dowel to reach down inside. On the piece you've shown, I'd probably just use the interference pad from my sanding setup as a backer and stick my fingers in through the opening. With a slow speed, it shouldn't be too dicey.

Jim Burr
06-28-2011, 7:04 PM
I like your yard Chris! Digression complete! That is some cool stuff! To prevent sanding the inside, make it really smooth to start with, or use some 10" dialysis tubing clamps, being mindful to keep your fingers out of the holes!! On smaller forms, needle drivers or curved kelly's work good. Make friends with the local ER staff...we throw the stuff out. 100 grit works well or whatever others like is cool too!

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Sanding the inside of hollow forms is always a challenge. Best recommendation is to turn a wide collar, throw a finial on it and call it good to go!

Baxter Smith
06-29-2011, 12:48 PM
Looks good. I like the knob on the lid. Neat idea!

Bernie Weishapl
06-29-2011, 5:59 PM
Great looking pieces.