PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question Moving Unisaw

Steve Schoene
06-28-2011, 3:47 PM
We are moving, or rather movers are moving us, to a new place about 45 miles down the road, mostly expressway. My shop stuff will load from my garage, to a basement that is reached through a garage with only a six inch step up. Not too tough a move.

I'm removing the rails from my unisaw fence. (Don't want to give them easy "handles".) Should I prop up the motor with a 2x4 or the like to take weight off the belts and hence the arbor. Are there any tips on how to prop this up without creating a hazard? Remove the belts from the motor pully I suppose.

This is a 46 vintage Unisaw with a floor in cabinet, supported on a cast iron plinths.

Thanks guys, in advance.

i

Jerome Hanby
06-28-2011, 4:05 PM
I removed rails, extensions, and table from mine. Doing it over, I'd also remove the motor just to make things less vulnerable to bouncing. Of course, my intention was to disassemble, clean, and paint anyway, so taking it apart didn't add any extra work.

Bruce Page
06-28-2011, 4:05 PM
I think as long as you have the elevation & tilt locks snug you should be alright. I would also think about removing the wings. They are very tempting for someone to try and lift/move the saw around by and easily broken. At the very least I would tape some “Do Not Lift” signs to them.

Harvey Pascoe
06-28-2011, 4:24 PM
No way would I trust movers moving my saw fully assembled as those people are not adept at moving heavy stuff like that. When I moved, I removed the top and crated both it and the base,separately. Two packages, each lighter and smaller and easier to move with fewer odds of damage.

Curt Harms
06-29-2011, 7:50 AM
Not a Unisaw, but when I moved a G1023 to my basement, the wings were already off. I removed the top (keep track of which shims go where) and motor. Pretty simple, the only thing that might be a challenge is remounting the motor. At that point I could pick the cabinet up myself. You'd probably want to recheck everything after a move like that anyway so reassembling doesn't add that much work.