PDA

View Full Version : AAW Symposium Gloat

David Gilbert
06-28-2011, 2:06 PM
I really enjoyed my first AAW symposium (I've only been turning for a little over a year). Everyone was incredibly friendly and helpful. The event had too many interesting and informative demos and lectures. Everyone commented that it was tough to make a pick about which one they should attend. Each rotation had about 16 different topics to pick from. Fortunately, many of them were repeated so you could still hear them. For most of the rotations, I had 3 or 4 demos that I wanted to attend.

On Sunday, while eating lunch my cell phone rang from a Minnesota phone number. A St Paul woodworker wanted to purchase the yarn bowl that I had put into the Instant Gallery. I’ve attached a photo of the spalted beach bowl (before I cut in the yarn slot). I went down and we agreed on a price. This was the first turned object that I have ever sold so it was memorable. The purchaser needed to get some additional cash and left for a few minutes. Before he returned, Bill Luce arrived to pick up his lovely bowls that were on an adjacent table (http://www.billluce.com/classic.html). I introduced myself and asked him if he would critique my (sold) bowl. He seemed a bit uncomfortable and asked about what I hoped to hear. I told him that “nice” isn’t in a critique and that I just wanted to know how I could improve my bowls. He was very friendly and liked my bowl and also identified some design features that could have been improved. Some of these I knew about and some I didn't. Needless to say, I didn't reveal the critique results to the buyer. Meeting Bill was one of the highlights of my symposium. After exchanging the bowl for the cash, I returned to Doug Thompson’s booth and bought a small detail gouge and one of his signature handles. It was a fantastic experience and was almost like getting free tools!

Cheers,
David

Tim Thiebaut
06-28-2011, 2:28 PM
Congrats on your first sale!! That is very cool, and nice that you were able to get someone to give you an honest professional opinion on it in person as well, sounds like you had a great time out there in St Paul.

David E Keller
06-28-2011, 6:00 PM
That's a pretty sweet 'twofer'! There's nothing like an honest critique, and the trading of turned things for tools is a close second(I'm not sure you held the money long enough to call it a sale... More like a three way trade).

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2011, 8:34 PM
David - congrats on your first sales! Feels great doesn't it?

I was lucky enough to be talking with Brent English when Bill Luce come in to check out the American Beauty. I got to listen in on all the questions, etc as Bill threw a piece of wood on the lathe and fired it up. Took a couple of photos of him turning and thought it was cool how he was shooting curlies about 15 feet into the air.... unfortunately, the folks on the other side of the divider were not as thrilled as I!

John Keeton
06-28-2011, 9:32 PM
David, congrats on the sale, and for quickly realizing the sole purpose of selling turnings is to immediately buy more toys!!! How else can we keep all these folks in business?:D

Doug W Swanson
06-29-2011, 9:20 AM
Congrats on the sale! The bowl looks nice and I really like the edge/rim. I've done that on a few of mine and I really like how it looks....

Scott Hackler
06-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Congrats on your sale, David. :)

Baxter Smith
06-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Congrats on the sale. I am sure it was a great feeling when there were so many amazing things there a buyer could have chosen from!