PDA

View Full Version : plane ?

Mike Sheppard
02-13-2005, 2:32 PM
About 2 years ago I picked up what I think is a Jack Plane at a yard sale for $5, it has no name on it, all it says is "made in the USA". Do any of you experts know who made them like that? I also have three planes that were hand me downs I have not used much, (a short one, a rabbet, and a long one that says #7 all stanleys. As of late I have wanted to clean them up and start using them. This looks like the place to get info on them.
Thank in advance for any info.
Mike

Steve Cox
02-13-2005, 3:14 PM
Pictures of them would help tremendously with identifying them for you.

Jerry Olexa
02-13-2005, 4:18 PM
http://www.rexmill.com/ Try this Lots of good info!!

Mike Sheppard
02-13-2005, 10:38 PM
Steve
If I ever learn to post pictures I will do that.
Jerry
Neet site, I put it on favorites and will bring that plane in tomorrow and look it up.

Thanks
Mike

Joseph N. Myers
02-13-2005, 11:08 PM
Mike,

If you got a camara, take a picture and can get it on your computer, the forum can help you post the picture(s).

Regards, Joe

Mike Sheppard
02-15-2005, 11:32 PM
back to frount
Bailey #7
miller Falls #85
Stanley #220
But the next one has no name only in the casting "Made in USA" also in a cast part "#397" and on the blade stamped "Victory Made in USA". Could this mean the plane is made by Victory or just the blade? I have not heard of Victory tool Co.
The bottom line is time I cleaned them up and learned how to use them. It's been said you are never to old to learn.
Mike

Mike Sheppard
02-15-2005, 11:34 PM
I'll be darned it worked.
Mike

James Mittlefehldt
02-16-2005, 5:43 AM
Funny thing but I was out this weekend and accompanied my wife to a couple of antique malls, which I enjoy thoroughly, and I maust have seen four or five planes more or less as you describe, no identification on them save either made in USA or made in Canada.

I wonder if they are something that Stanley made to be sold in boxes as a generic brand of some sort. All that I saw were roughly number four size, with rather thin blades.

Louis Bois
02-16-2005, 7:47 AM
Mike,

The last plane (at the front) is a Millers Falls Jack plane #814, that was marketed under the Mohawk Shelburne line. They had black painted knob and tote and were considered their "budget" line of planes. They were produced between 1935 and 1949. The blade must be a replacement.

Check out Randy Roeder's excellent Millers Falls reference page for more information: http://www.public.coe.edu/~rroeder/main/bench/economyplanes.htm

Mike Sheppard
02-16-2005, 9:17 AM
Thanks Louis that is it, if it cleans up nice still a bargin at $5.
Mike

Roger Nixon
02-16-2005, 9:18 AM
I wonder if they are something that Stanley made to be sold in boxes as a generic brand of some sort. All that I saw were roughly number four size, with rather thin blades.

Stanley did sell planes like this to retail stores. The certain way to tell who made a plane is to look at the frog design as these were patented.