PDA

View Full Version : 'Nuther breakfast thread

Curt Harms
06-28-2011, 8:43 AM
I was in our local supermarket-Giant in Plumsteadville, PA.- and what to my wondering eyes should appear but COUNTRY HAM!!!!!. First time I've seen it in this part of the world except in a restaurant. It's not as good as some I've had but it was plenty good enough!:D

Kent A Bathurst
06-28-2011, 9:35 AM
Google + UPS = "the real stuff"

Nothing like the real-deal country ham. The kind you have to soak in the sink, covered with water, overnight, then drain and repeat.

Bryan Morgan
06-28-2011, 11:19 PM
Google + UPS = "the real stuff"

Nothing like the real-deal country ham. The kind you have to soak in the sink, covered with water, overnight, then drain and repeat.

We have a shop over here that sells nothing but hams.... I've never been in it but now I'm curious, what is "the real stuff"? If I go in there I'd like to know what to look for.

Ryan Mooney
06-29-2011, 12:19 AM
Make it yourself:
http://www.amazon.com/Charcuterie-Craft-Salting-Smoking-Curing/dp/0393058298
is recommended as a beginning book (its not necessarily the "best" on any one bit and rhulman is a writer not a chef, but its reliable which counts for a lot). You do have to have a wee it of patience though (and a place to hang stuff for a few months).

Gary Hodgin
06-29-2011, 12:23 AM
I'd have a big hunk of it tomorrow morning if my wife would let me. Big piece of country ham, 2 fried eggs over easy, 2 big biscuits, strawberry preserves, and a pot of hot black coffee. If I'm ever on death row, I think I'll go with that.

Rich Engelhardt
06-29-2011, 4:36 AM
It's almost worth the cost of a road trip to head to VA for a "real deal" Southern smoked ham.
Wait, what am I saying w/the "almost"?!?!?

Big slab of it - I prefer to toss mine in a cast iron skillet - and a mess of corn pone W gobs of butter - oh yeah!!!

Kent A Bathurst
06-29-2011, 7:19 AM
We have a shop over here that sells nothing but hams.... I've never been in it but now I'm curious, what is "the real stuff"? If I go in there I'd like to know what to look for.

Perfect - go in and ask 'em. For me, commonly known as Virginia Ham, but that's too generic. You want a salt-cured ham. Go ask 'em. They'll set you right.

There are a number of brands. I've gotta ask SWMBO - there is one in particular that she regards as the premium of the premium. Will get aback to you.

'Till then - uncooked, dry-cured with salt describes it: http://www.smithfieldhams.com/product/455/genuine-smithfield-ham

Curt Harms
06-29-2011, 7:33 AM

AFAIK the "real stuff" doesn't need to be refrigerated if you buy a whole ham. It's also pretty dry compared to commonly available ham. That was the purpose of the curing process-preserving meat prior to refrigeration. Refrigerate or freeze after "opening". Like Kent says, you have to soak it to get the salt levels down to edible levels. The stuff I get locally that's ready to use still has 1600 mg. sodium in 2 ozs. of ham. Not an every morning thing but it's good once in a while.

Belinda Barfield
06-29-2011, 7:51 AM
I'd have a big hunk of it tomorrow morning if my wife would let me. Big piece of country ham, 2 fried eggs over easy, 2 big biscuits, strawberry preserves, and a pot of hot black coffee. If I'm ever on death row, I think I'll go with that.

Gary, I'm not that far from Tennessee. I can't make it before Sunday morning but I'll be at your table with fork in hand . . . LOL.

Belinda Barfield
06-29-2011, 7:52 AM
By the way, all, it is illegal to serve country ham without grits and red eye gravy and buttermilk biscuits. Wouldn't want y'all to go and do nothing to cross the law. :D

Zach England
06-29-2011, 9:12 AM
What on earth is "country ham"?

*bites into quinoa and sips soy latte*

Belinda Barfield
06-29-2011, 9:22 AM
What on earth is "country ham"?

*bites into quinoa and sips soy latte*

Something that probably will never cross your lips, and a little taste of heaven which if not prepared properly is virtually inedible.

http://www.countrycuredhams.com/

Rod Sheridan
06-29-2011, 9:55 AM
By the way, all, it is illegal to serve country ham without grits and red eye gravy and buttermilk biscuits. Wouldn't want y'all to go and do nothing to cross the law. :D

Belinda, I'm with you on the ham, however the gravy, grits and biscuits is just something this northerner doesn't recognise as edible. I've tried many times in my visits to Georgia and Tennessee, yet I just can't develop a taste for them.

Now ham, pancakes and maple syrup from Quebec, that's breakfast for me.......LOL............Rod.

Belinda Barfield
06-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Belinda, I'm with you on the ham, however the gravy, grits and biscuits is just something this northerner doesn't recognise as edible. I've tried many times in my visits to Georgia and Tennessee, yet I just can't develop a taste for them.

Now ham, pancakes and maple syrup from Quebec, that's breakfast for me.......LOL............Rod.

LOL . . . I refuse to debate the edibility of either grits or boiled peanuts. I just can't win. For some reason for me pancakes go with all you can eat bacon. Sausage, grits, and scrambled eggs get piled together - cut up link smoked sausage, rarely patties. I really don't like grits and red eye gravy, I'm more of a cheese grits or shrimp and grits gal. Bear in mind that cheese grits are not grits with cheese tossed on top, the cheese has to be melted into the grits during the last few minutes of cooking.

Jay Maiers
06-29-2011, 10:30 AM

Rod,
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your Georgia and Tennessee travel privileges have just been revoked.

Our mountain roads will miss you :(

Belinda Barfield
06-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Rod,
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your Georgia and Tennessee travel privileges have just been revoked.

You tell him, Jay! Northerners, we don' need no stinkin' Northerners . . . wait, actually we do. It's good tourism money.

P.S. We're planning a group ride up to Helen for Octoberfest Jay and I'm guessing you would fit right in!

Rod Sheridan
06-29-2011, 10:48 AM
Rod,

Dang! That's harsh.

I'll really miss those mountain roads, they're some of my favourite riding areas..........Regards, Rod.

Rod Sheridan
06-29-2011, 10:52 AM
You tell him, Jay! Northerners, we don' need no stinkin' Northerners . . . wait, actually we do. It's good tourism money.

P.S. We're planning a group ride up to Helen for Octoberfest Jay and I'm guessing you would fit right in!

Yes, those evil tourism dollars, brought to you by those banished northerners......LOL.

You would have laughed, a few years ago I was in Chatanooga, checking into a hotel and the woman behind the desk remarked to me that that sure were a lot of people in the hotel today with accents, I said "Funny, I've noticed that as well", however the humour was lost on her.

Regards, Rod.

Belinda Barfield
06-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Yes, those evil tourism dollars, brought to you by those banished northerners......LOL.

You would have laughed, a few years ago I was in Chatanooga, checking into a hotel and the woman behind the desk remarked to me that that sure were a lot of people in the hotel today with accents, I said "Funny, I've noticed that as well", however the humour was lost on her.

Regards, Rod.

too funny

To tie this into the topic, Rod you must come to Savannah for breakfast.:) Seriously if come as far down as Chatanooga what's five more hours?

Jay Maiers
06-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Dang! That's harsh.
I'll really miss those mountain roads, they're some of my favourite riding areas..........Regards, Rod.
Fortunately there's a way around this issue. A toll in the form of some of that Quebecian Syrup should appease the powers that be. After all, everyone likes good syrup. ;)

My bike's been down for about a year now. :( After moving into a new house last year I haven't dedicated the time to get it up and running. There's always something to do that gets in the way.

Do keep me posted though; I'd love to hook up with y'all if I find the time (and budget) to get it fixed!

Kent A Bathurst
06-29-2011, 1:05 PM
I've gotta ask SWMBO - there is one in particular that she regards as the premium of the premium. Will get back to you.

OK - here you go. This one is terrific, but it is different in texture than the Smithfield that I linked to in the earlier post. More subtle, more refined. It's a personal preference thing. I like 'em both - below is the link - elegant version. The Edwards Bone-in Uncooked or the Smithfield one is the stuff of which we've been talking.

Edwards of Surry, VA: http://www.edwardsvaham.com/index.cfm

Go to
> Specialty Food
> Delicatessen
> Surrayano Ham
> Boneless Ham or Ham Slices.

Belinda Barfield
06-29-2011, 1:20 PM
Kent, this is a smoked ham and not a true country salt cured ham, correct?

ray hampton
06-29-2011, 1:43 PM
Rod,

ROD, what they meant were that the next time you are is the south YOU will be moving to the south

Gene Howe
06-29-2011, 1:57 PM
too funny

To tie this into the topic, Rod you must come to Savannah for breakfast.:) Seriously if come as far down as Chatanooga what's five more hours?

Belinda,
Savannah treated me to my first taste of Scrapple. I've not been the same since. I want MORE!!!

David Weaver
06-29-2011, 2:22 PM
In the era of cheap food, haven't had salt cured ham in quite a while, but...

.... patty sausage, a stack of buckwheats and some real maple syrup with black coffee....wow...that makes me wish it was saturday morning.

Rod Sheridan
06-29-2011, 2:22 PM
Ahh, thanks Ray., missed that point.........regards, Rod.

Rod Sheridan
06-29-2011, 2:23 PM
Belinda, if I make it down to Savanah I'll buy you breakfast and you can elighten me on grits and biscuits..........Rod.

Gary Hodgin
06-29-2011, 2:32 PM
Gary, I'm not that far from Tennessee. I can't make it before Sunday morning but I'll be at your table with fork in hand . . . LOL.

I'd agree with that. The gravy is extremely important. Clifty Farms in Paris, TN sells some pretty good ham, but the best stuff is the local stuff that's cured in a cellar. My grandparents had a root seller and for years one of my grandfathers killed his own hogs and cured his own hams in a root cellar. The root cellar doubled as a storm cellar as well.

http://www.cliftyfarm.com/

Belinda Barfield
06-29-2011, 2:46 PM
Belinda, if I make it down to Savanah I'll buy you breakfast and you can elighten me on grits and biscuits..........Rod.

Deal. There are maybe only three places here that cook decent grits so you might have to test all three to form an opinion:D.

I'd agree with that. The gravy is extremely important. Clifty Farms in Paris, TN sells some pretty good ham, but the best stuff is the local stuff that's cured in a cellar. My grandparents had a root seller and for years one of my grandfathers killed his own hogs and cured his own hams in a root cellar. The root cellar doubled as a storm cellar as well.

http://www.cliftyfarm.com/

I'm familiar with Clifty Farms. I don't think their products are available around here though. I'll have to check on that. My great grandparents and grandparents butchered their own hogs. They had smokehouses though, not root cellars. I can still remember "hog killin' time". My mother still occasionally has a craving for blood sausage (yes, exactly what it sounds like). I've eaten it but can't say that I've ever craved it.

Scott Shepherd
06-29-2011, 3:55 PM
And don't go getting a "spiral spliced" ham confused with a proper country ham.

If it's done properly, you'll need a glass of sweet tea next to it. If it's done wrong, it's like eating any other thing on the menu.

The good stuff is getting harder and harder to locate. Everyone is switching out for the "sweeter" versions. They tend to be pinkish in color. To me, a proper country ham is a darker redish color inside. NOT pink!

Kent A Bathurst
06-29-2011, 4:26 PM
Kent, this is a smoked ham and not a true country salt cured ham, correct?

Yeah, sorta - tends toward he prosccuitto end of the scale. Not the std uncooked dry salt cured goodies.

Gary Hodgin
06-29-2011, 4:42 PM
Kroger is big around here and it carries Clifty Farm ham. I remember two hot killings when I was a kid. I only watched the beginning of one. I loved the result, but hated the process.

People have different taste for country ham. Some like it saltier than others and some like it cooked differently. I like mine thicker than normal. My wife's stepmom fried very thin ham and it was as tough as leather. She and my father in law loved it, but I could hardly eat it. I'd told her I like ham before I ever tasted hers. I'd always eat a couple of pieces but it was tough. Of course, I'd rather eat the tough ham than hurt her feelings. She took a lot of pride in her cooking and was a great cook otherwise.

Belinda Barfield
06-29-2011, 5:40 PM
Belinda,
Savannah treated me to my first taste of Scrapple. I've not been the same since. I want MORE!!!

I don't know that I've ever had Scrapple in Savannah. I was under the impression that it was one of those northern foods.:D

Belinda Barfield
06-29-2011, 5:43 PM
Kroger is big around here and it carries Clifty Farm ham. I remember two hot killings when I was a kid. I only watched the beginning of one. I loved the result, but hated the process.

People have different taste for country ham. Some like it saltier than others and some like it cooked differently. I like mine thicker than normal. My wife's stepmom fried very thin ham and it was as tough as leather. She and my father in law loved it, but I could hardly eat it. I'd told her I like ham before I ever tasted hers. I'd always eat a couple of pieces but it was tough. Of course, I'd rather eat the tough ham than hurt her feelings. She took a lot of pride in her cooking and was a great cook otherwise.

Geez, I'm in Kroger at least twice a week. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. I'll ask next time I go in. My mom cooks country ham the same way. Dry and tough. Come to think of it, I think I have a pack of country ham in the freezer, along with some fresh bacon. I need to go check on that.

Kent A Bathurst
06-29-2011, 7:13 PM
I don't know that I've ever had Scrapple in Savannah. I was under the impression that it was one of those northern foods.:D

Oh, yeah, baby - exactly correct....New Jersey diners are the place for the real deal on scrapple.

Gary Hodgin
06-29-2011, 8:21 PM

Belinda,
I'm not sure that all Kroger's carry Clifty Farm. The two around my house do and the CF website lists Kroger as one of the chains that carry their products. It may be a local discussion as to whether or not to carry it. Could be that your Kroger carries a competitive brand and doesn't carry CF for some reason.
Gary

Bryan Morgan
06-30-2011, 12:00 AM
OK - here you go. This one is terrific, but it is different in texture than the Smithfield that I linked to in the earlier post. More subtle, more refined. It's a personal preference thing. I like 'em both - below is the link - elegant version. The Edwards Bone-in Uncooked or the Smithfield one is the stuff of which we've been talking.

Edwards of Surry, VA: http://www.edwardsvaham.com/index.cfm

Go to
> Specialty Food
> Delicatessen
> Surrayano Ham
> Boneless Ham or Ham Slices.

Good lord that looks tasty! Thanks! I need to go see if I can find one!

Kent A Bathurst
06-30-2011, 7:01 AM
Good lord that looks tasty! Thanks! I need to go see if I can find one!

Don't mistake this for the "real deal" Va ham....getcha some of that too.

Curt Harms
06-30-2011, 8:18 AM
Oh, yeah, baby - exactly correct....New Jersey diners are the place for the real deal on scrapple.
If it's real scrapple though, it likely came from Lancaster Co. PA. Scrapple originated with the "Pennsylvania Dutch" which are actually of German origin. Growing up in South Western Wisconsin with a strong German influence the equivalent was called "kanip"-don't know how it is spelled. Basically scrapple mixed with steel cut oats but not formed into a cake. It was frozen as a semi-solid and eaten with either syrup or vinegar. I think both scrapple and kanip serve the same purpose; a use for edible parts of the pig for which there is no other use.

Belinda Barfield
06-30-2011, 8:27 AM
a use for edible parts of the pig for which there is no other use.

LOL . . . wish you could have met my grandparents. There is no part of a pig that is inedible. This is why I have actually eaten blood sausage. I would like to say I've never eaten head cheese or brains and eggs, but I probably did when I was too young to say NO. My paternal grandmother was also famous for her chicken feet and rice, topped by cooked egg yolks from the egg sac of the freshly killed chicked that donated the feet.:eek:

Kent A Bathurst
06-30-2011, 8:40 AM
..............I have actually eaten blood sausage.....

OK - as briefly as I can. Travelled to London for Christmas and Edinburgh/Glasgow for New Years. Stayed a few days at an honest-to-god castle outside Glasgow - giant hall with minstrel's gallery, flags lining the walls, a fireplace that 12 people could stand in - precisely as you see in the movies; Mary Queen of Scots stayed there when she was on the run; Cromwell shelled it with a trebuchet, and the Lord surrendered - there is a 20' diameter crater about 6' deep high up in the 14' thick wall. The resident ghosts did not make an appearance - I was disappointed in that.

The owner, her husband, and her Dad happened to be the only other guests there at the time. Her dad was a retired Colonel from the British Army - disguinshed, silver-haired, pencil mustache - again, just like in the movies.

For breakfast, I had some blood sausage. The Colonel looked over to me, nodded at the blood sausage, smiled, and says to me "Don't you suppose you'd better stab that with your fork before it wriggles off the plate?"

Also that trip - haggis, and Loch Fine kippers. great eats.

Belinda Barfield
06-30-2011, 9:50 AM
Kent, I have to be honest and tell you that I hated you for about five minutes for going on my dream vacation. Ever had liver pudding? Another family fav. I was going to post a recipe (I don't personally have one) so that folks could toss up their breakfast while reading it, but decided not to. When I googled for a recipe I discovered that it is also known as livermush according to Wiki and found this interesting tidbit. Learn something new every day.

Livermush is a Southern United States food product composed of pig liver, head parts, and cornmeal. It is commonly spiced with pepper and sage. Vaguely similar to scrapple (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple), livermush was most likely brought south through the Appalachian mountains by German settlers from Philadelphia.

ray hampton
06-30-2011, 1:30 PM
LOL . . . wish you could have met my grandparents. There is no part of a pig that is inedible. This is why I have actually eaten blood sausage. I would like to say I've never eaten head cheese or brains and eggs, but I probably did when I was too young to say NO. My paternal grandmother was also famous for her chicken feet and rice, topped by cooked egg yolks from the egg sac of the freshly killed chicked that donated the feet.:eek:
pig brains and a side orders of EGGS went south for me after the mad-cow phase but they WERE GOOD

Kent A Bathurst
06-30-2011, 1:58 PM
Kent, I have to be honest and tell you that I hated you for about five minutes....

Belinda - don't waste your time....that line is soooo long, you'll never even get close enough to pee on the casket................:D