PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Kurt & Karen

Karl Laustrup
02-13-2005, 1:01 PM
A while back I offered up some maple and cherry scrap pieces to anyone that wanted them for pens.

After shipping the maple scraps to Kurt Aebi he asked if he could do something for me. I said sure, use some of the wood for the FPP, some for whatever you want, but make one pen for my wife if he would. He obliged and the pen came Friday.

Kurt had also taken the time to make a very nice case out of some poplar that came from his dad's place in PA.

I just wanted to publically say THANK YOU! Kurt. My wife loved both the pen and the case and the pen will be a user for her. She really likes the way it feels.
The case is a wonderful plus.

Thanks again.

P.S. The cherry is still available.

John Miliunas
02-13-2005, 1:27 PM
Hey, that Kurt guy does nice work!:) I've been meaning to try making some cases for pens/pencils, but that's way down on my list of "to-do's". Anyhow, seems like you guys struck up a nice "deal" there!:) :cool:

Michael Stafford
02-13-2005, 1:35 PM
Very nice gesture, Kurt! :) As the old saying goes one good turn deserves another. :D

Kurt Aebi
02-18-2005, 2:13 PM
Karl,

I am really glad you like it, or should I say that your wife like's it!

I really like the boards you sent, they each have some real nice character. Karen has already turned 2 pens with it for the FPP and she says that it turns real nice. And I have cut some of it up to make pens with and I've cut a few blanks for boxes for pen & pencil sets.

Thanks again for the wood and it was a pleasure making the pen and box and I hope both will be in use for many a year.

Karl, I will be going through your childhood neighboehood tomorrow as I travel over to the new Harbor Freight retail store in Colonie. I am hoping to bring home a new lathe so that I don't have to fight with Karen for time on the mini!

Again, thanks for the kind words.

Kurt

christopher webb
02-18-2005, 2:20 PM
thats a wonderful gift .....but might i say that the box is for more than a piece of popular....that looks to me to be box elder , you can tell by the reddish streak in it....it is a rare and beautiful wood....enjoy you have a wonder thing there.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-18-2005, 2:32 PM
I love how all of the members of this forum give back to one another. It is the norm to give back to those who donate supplies, not the exception.

Also, Kurt, great job on the pen and box! They look great!

Kurt Aebi
02-18-2005, 4:18 PM
Chris,

It is definitely Poplar, I helped cut down the tree. It has marvelous mineral staining in it, brilliant shades of green, yellow, pink and violet to deep purple. I made this pen & pencil set & Pen Boxes from the same slab of wood. The guy with the bandsaw mill wasn't going to cut it up because in his opinion, it is "junk" wood and good for nothing! Boy, was he wrong, huh?

Anyway, I wish it was box elder - still very pretty nonetheless!

Joe Melton
02-18-2005, 5:02 PM
Very nice boxes! Where do you fellas get the clasps and hinges?
Joe

Karl Laustrup
02-19-2005, 8:27 AM
You probably won't get this before you head to Colonie, but I'm guessing you are going via Route 7.

We lived on Route 7 just east of Center Brunswick. Still have a couple of friends living there. Just wave as you go through. ;) :D

I have a bunch of box elder. I will save pieces big enough for turning and ship 'em to you.