PDA

View Full Version : Laser engraving a MagPul magazine for firearms

Mark Conde
06-27-2011, 11:13 PM
I am reaching out to the Creek to see if anyone can share info on laser engraving Mag Pul magazines for firearms. I have a potential to gain several customers if it can be done. I am not sure if the material is laser friendly (say no PVC content). As always, any info would be appreciated. I did search the Creek and came up empty. Hopefully, there is some new info to share.

Thanks,

Mark

Mike Null
06-28-2011, 7:10 AM
First, they're polymer and should engrave with no problem. Second, they're cheap, buy one, engrave it, and use it as a sample.

I would use my engravers plastic laminate settings as a starting point.

Steven Wallace
06-28-2011, 7:30 AM
Mark I engraved a Plum Crazy brand AR lower and will not do it again. I hope the Mag Pull is a different composition than that of the Plum Crazy. My issue was that I was trying to engrave the background to leave raised letters as the customer requested. When I got done the raised letters just rubbed off. I finally just had to tell the customer that the only way I could do it was to just engrave the letters into the material. I would follow Mike's lead and do a test piece and if it works, great sample. If it doesn't, well it is a cheap but useable lesson learned.

James McMulllian
06-28-2011, 12:48 PM
I asked Magpul tech support the PVC question (I am a Magpul dealer). They state that there is no PVC in their magazines.

I attached a picture of a one of the sample charts I made a while back. This one was done on a 50w Epilog at 400 dpi. Text does good enough, graphics not so great. Anything with a large engraved area will look like it was done with a handheld engraver. I do magazines for the competition guys that just want to identify the magazines as theirs. They also number them to keep track of them. This group is very happy with them. The customers that are looking for decoration will be disappointed.

James McMulllian
06-28-2011, 1:04 PM
Mark I engraved a Plum Crazy brand AR lower and will not do it again. I hope the Mag Pull is a different composition than that of the Plum Crazy. My issue was that I was trying to engrave the background to leave raised letters as the customer requested. When I got done the raised letters just rubbed off. I finally just had to tell the customer that the only way I could do it was to just engrave the letters into the material. I would follow Mike's lead and do a test piece and if it works, great sample. If it doesn't, well it is a cheap but useable lesson learned.

If the customer was doing this to Form 1 a lower (build a short barreled rifle). Then you actually saved them because the first method would have not met ATF spec. Each letter must be engraved to a depth of .003.

Mike Null
06-28-2011, 1:42 PM
Besides the laser, which appears to do a good job, these can be engraved with a mechanical engraver without difficulty.

Mark Conde
06-28-2011, 5:11 PM
Thanks Creekers! I appreciate the support. I am buying some samples today and will test tomorrow. Thanks again.

Mark

Bill Cunningham
06-28-2011, 11:14 PM
I've done a bunch of 9mm mags for RockRiver Arms.. These ones were darn hard plastic.. I put a light coat of wax on the top, then engraved through it so the customer could colour fill them without a lot of cleanup.. I don't seem to have taken any pictures of the engraving itself.. hmmm I hate it when I miss something like that!