PDA

View Full Version : Built-in Closet Systems

Rich Konopka
02-13-2005, 12:59 PM
Can anyone give me some recommendations on any good plans, books, systems I should use on building some adjustable shelves, cubbies, and drawers for some walkin closets?

I'm considering the Veritas 32 jig. Any Comments?

I want to go with an upscale look and would also appreciate any comments on materials.

Thanks in advance !!

Steve Cox
02-13-2005, 3:11 PM
Are you wanting to use a full 32mm system or are you just looking for adjustable shelving jigs? If the latter, try this for shelf holes if you have the tooling. You'll need a plunge router with guide bushings, a 6mm straight bit (1/4" will work but is a bit oversize) and a drill press.

Take a piece of 1/2" ply about 4"w by whatever length of shelf holes you need. Assuming a 5/8" bushing (other sizes will work as long as you have clearance for the router bit) drill a series of 5/8" holes down the middle of the plywood. The distance between the holes is up to you but 2 1/4" is about what 32mm works out to. It's not critical for function that the spacing be perfect but close as you can is best for appearance. After drilling the holes, rip the ply down the middle. Attach blocks at one end of the pieces to register them against the end of your case sides. Line up the straight (not scalloped) edge against the edge of the sides, clamp in place and then register the router bushing in each scallop and plunge as you work your way down the side. It takes me less than 5 minutes to do an 8' side and I'm not in a hurry. The reason for the two pieces is that one goes on one edge of a side and the other on the other. That way if there is any error in your shelf spacing it is transferred onto the sides at the same point everywhere and thus no error detectable. Hope this helps. Post again if you have questions. I know, a picture is worth ..... but I don't have digital camera yet.

Keith Christopher
02-13-2005, 4:25 PM
My adjustable shelf Jig couldn't be easier. I bought some of the hardboard that has holes spaced one inch on center. trimmed an edge so it was split down the middle on the first row of holes. The put a square end on it to butt against the top edge (like a T-square) and I just drill the holes (3/8") and space the how I need. works like a champ. evenly spaced holes.

Mark Singer
02-13-2005, 8:24 PM
The Veritas Jig really dosen't offer much. Find the post on my closet system...I used the Kreg to make components and even the drawers. It is similar to the workstation project. Very fast system ,very strong ,and looks great!
Here is the link.....

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=5575&highlight=closet

Joe Scarfo
02-13-2005, 8:59 PM
I use peg board for my shelf pin jig.... works great too.

Good luck
Joe in Tampa

Rich Konopka
02-15-2005, 6:40 AM
Thanks to all !!!

Mark, That is exactly what I am looking for. I want to you a dark wood with brushed aluminum pulls. What kind of wood/finish did you use?

Mark Singer
02-15-2005, 7:50 AM
Rich,

It was Daly's Ben Matte....I buy it from Daly's in Seattle and they ship it UPS. It is a special Tung Oil product

Jim Becker
02-15-2005, 9:43 AM
I've seen Mark's system up close and personal and it's one of the most effective closets I've ever witnessed. As much as our home tends to the traditional/country style, for the addtion we're planning, I may do a similar storage system for the master suite as it offers a great opportunity to minimize certain types of furniture in the bedroom, leaving the space more "expansive"...and more room for things like comfortable sitting.

Mark Singer
02-15-2005, 9:46 AM
Jim,

Thats true! we are both out of the closet now!:cool:

I've seen Mark's system up close and personal and it's one of the most effective closets I've ever witnessed. As much as our home tends to the traditional/country style, for the addtion we're planning, I may do a similar storage system for the master suite as it offers a great opportunity to minimize certain types of furniture in the bedroom, leaving the space more "expansive"...and more room for things like comfortable sitting.

Jim Becker
02-15-2005, 9:49 AM
Thats true! we are both out of the closet now!
Oy Veh!!!!!!!!!

Per Swenson
02-15-2005, 9:53 AM
If you would like a comprehensive book on finish carpentry, look

no farther then Gary Katz-Finish Carpentry. This book has a section

on closets, and everything else for fine woodwork at home.

Hope this helps , Per