PDA

View Full Version : Laser question.

Fred Belknap
06-27-2011, 9:57 PM
I received my Monster and laser from Randy a few days ago and have been having a ball playing with it. I know that several here have the Monster system. My question is how do you all set the laser to get the desired thickness. I can visualize that if it is set at say 1/2 " the top and bottom of a round bowl would be thinner if the middle was 1/2". What is the standard for setting up the laser. The Monster is a terrific tool but was wondering if I was missing something on the laser. Hope I'm not asking a dumb question:D

David E Keller
06-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Congrats on your new rig, Fred!

I think I do it a little differently... I set the laser directly on the edge of the cutter and then sight down the piece to gauge wall thickness. My reasoning for doing it this way is that when the laser is set off the edge of the cutter, it needs to be adjusted frequently to maintain a correct reading.

James Combs
06-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Congrats on your new rig, Fred!

I think I do it a little differently... I set the laser directly on the edge of the cutter and then sight down the piece to gauge wall thickness. My reasoning for doing it this way is that when the laser is set off the edge of the cutter, it needs to be adjusted frequently to maintain a correct reading.

What David said. If it is not right on the point of the cutter frequent adjustment is necessary depending on whether you are cutting side wall, inside the top, or along the bottom.

Jim Burr
06-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Yup...at the farthest point of the cutter...and go a little wide to start. Then shorten the distance for a thinner wall. In other words...thicker is better to start, then go thinner. And trust us...you'll get plenty to thin;):p:o!

Fred Belknap
06-27-2011, 11:05 PM
If I follow you all correctly I just need to learn where the cutter is in relation to the dot on the outside of the bowl. The cutter is at mid point of bowl so the dot will be above that all the time. The closer the laser dot get to the middle of the form the thinner the wall will be. Thanks guys, I just need to do a little learning. I think I'm going to really like this system.

David E Keller
06-27-2011, 11:23 PM
I think you've got it, Fred. If I may make a suggestion... Try using your system on a small bowl first. You can get the 'feel' of the laser on an open form while you're directly observing the cutter. It's also a good way to get used to the various tips.