PDA

View Full Version : My AAW goodie haul

Scott Hackler
06-27-2011, 9:55 PM
Ok, Ok.... I spent a bunch on stuff. I had a few things on my "get it" list and I bought everyone of them and a bunch that I hadn't planned on. :) The only thing I didn't get that I was really wanting was an articulated hollower or some kind of hollowing system. There were a couple unknowns on display, but missing was Monster and Kobra. :( I really wanted some "hands on" experience with both. Present was Carter's new roller system and I tried it out. Pretty nice set up but I haven't made up my mind as of yet.

I got a Burnmaster wood burner, Trent Boschs chuck holding setup for carving, a new 16" handle and small detail gouge from Doug, a bunch of sanding disc from Vince, 2 black ash burls from Cory, 3 blanks from Mike Smith, a neat little decorating tool called an Elf, 3 Red Mallee burl caps (no they weren't discounting them on Sunday :( ), a couple nice Cherry blanks from John Keaton, an over priced ($50) AAW smock, some Ren Wax, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Best idea of the show.... Keaton was wheeling his carry on suitcase around to fill it up! I did the same the next two days!! :)

OH MY!!!

Jeff Fagen
06-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Nice haul Scott,wish I'd have gotten one of those gouges.Did they embroider your name on?

David E Keller
06-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Now that's what I'm talking about! Of all the stuff you've got there, I'm most anxious to see how you like Trent's carving stand... I just got his DVDs the other day, and I really like the looks of that setup.

Oh, I almost forgot... You suck!:D

Kathy Marshall
06-27-2011, 10:40 PM
Nice haul there Scott!
Let us know how you like the Elf when you've had a chance to try it out. I watched a video on it on Craft Supplies site and have been considering getting one, would be nice to know if it works as easy as the video shows.

Baxter Smith
06-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Quite the haul Scott! Which detail gouge did you pick up? I thought about picking up one of those smocks as a souvenir, but with the way I seem to tear up the Goodwill windbreakers I get, it probably wouldn't have been a souvenir for long.

Jeff Nicol
06-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Scott, I will have to take a few pictures tomorrow of the stuff I got, the biggest part of it is a pile of Osage Orange from Mr. Hackler!!! I have the stuff to make my own carving stand and "ELF" but like many other things, they get put far down the list until I just have to get them made! I have a couple of nice air cylinders that I will use to make an air controlled one like Trent sells. I looked at them and I guess I am to cheap or as they say "Frugal", enterprising or something!

I agree on the smocks, way to much money! My buddies wife is a very wonderful seamstress and has some very expensive sewing machines, I think I can get her to make some for me. Could be another entrepenureal challenge!

Baxter, I bought a shallow flute detail from Doug Thompson and another one from Packard that was not as heavy as the Thompson. Redshaped the Packard (ASP2030 steel) and tested it out and it is definitley and asset to my collection. I will test Dougs tomorrow.

Time for bed,

Jeff

Roger Chandler
06-28-2011, 12:19 AM
Really nice goodies there Scott. Having read all your postings so far, I don't know that anyone in attendance had a better time than you did.............I would say that this one will not be your last symposium!

I like to see when people have nice things happen to them...........congratulations on all your experiences at the symposium and the nice turning related items............looks like you are building a formidable turning arsenal!

Tim Thiebaut
06-28-2011, 12:24 AM
Well first and foremost I have to say...I am so jealous!! That is a big jar of Ren wax that must have cost you a fortune....a tiny jar of amazon cost me a pretty pennie thats for sure. I was really hoping monster would be there so folks could compare with the new clark system and give a full report and comparison. Looks like you have some nice burls on that table as well!

Scott Hackler
06-28-2011, 12:43 AM
Questions gallore!

Yes Doug's helper laser etched my name onto the gouge handle. I literally tried EVERY handle available and I came back to Dougs because all the others had some kind of rubberized grip and they all felt kinda tacky to the touch (to me). Being used to smooth wood, I dont think I would like that feel. Plus did I meantion my name is LASER engraved on it!!

The carving stand has already been slipped into the banjo with a HF on a chuck and it is EXACTLY what I need to embelish future stuff. This will make life so much easier. Thumbs up to Trent!

The smock issue is wierd. I really wanted to buy the blue $40 one but they ran out of the larges and the XL's were way to big for me. So I ponied up the $50 for the light weight, over priced AAW 25th tan one. That and a 25th canvas bag were bought that day. I hadn't discovered the secret suitcase trick yet and I was just about to rip my fingers off with the plastic bag holding 40 lbs of goodies!

The detail gouge I picked up it the 1/4". I have a Sorby 1/8" and this one fills in the blank..I intend on making a small handle for it as Doug's smallest is too big for my purpose.

The Ren wax... well I didn't know it came in a smaller container. This one was something like $25. I guess I have a few years supply now. :)

Donny Lawson
06-28-2011, 6:43 AM
Those kind of places are a ton of fun to go to but if your not careful your brain will overspend your wallet. That was a little futher than I wanted to travel so maybe it will come closer to GA. one day. I really need one of those smocks. I'm tired of pulling shavings out of my pockets.

John Keeton
06-28-2011, 6:48 AM
...maybe it will come closer to GA. one day.Donny, as luck would have it, the 2013 will be in Atlanta!!

Greg Bender
06-28-2011, 6:56 AM
I guess after reading about everybodie's Excellent Adventure at the symposium I can't possibly miss the Atlanta event. Thanx John for making me aware of
the upcoming Atlanta event.
Greg

Bob Haverstock
06-28-2011, 7:38 AM
Ok, Ok.... I spent a bunch on stuff. I had a few things on my "get it" list and I bought everyone of them and a bunch that I hadn't planned on. :) The only thing I didn't get that I was really wanting was an articulated hollower or some kind of hollowing system. There were a couple unknowns on display, but missing was Monster and Kobra. :( I really wanted some "hands on" experience with both. Present was Carter's new roller system and I tried it out. Pretty nice set up but I haven't made up my mind as of yet.

Scott,

I would like to read your thoughts on the Carter roller system. Could you post more on it?

Bob Haverstock

Tim Rinehart
06-28-2011, 9:41 AM
Wow, you did it right Scott...great haul there. I like the suitcase idea...will keep that in mind...though it may worry LOML.

David Reed
06-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Way to go Scott. The burner caught my eye as this is a technique I soon wish to explore.

Scott Hackler
06-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Bob,

The Carter Roller Hollower is a nice setup. The boring bar is flattened on the bottom side and with this and the top roller "pinching" it, there is no real way that the tool could rotate from a catch. They had a Hunter type bit installed and this was my first time experiencing that. I really like the way it cut and with a gentle touch the bit left a pretty smooth surface. The laser wiring is contained within the upper tube, making a real clean look. I didn't "hollow" the wood out far enough to use the laser, but I am sure that is would work as you would expect. The super large handle on the back end seemed a little over kill to me, but remember that you can take the bar off and insert it into the handle for hand work (at least that it the impression I got), so the large handle would be handy for that. As demo'd, the handle doesn't need to be that big. Very well built and a quality looking product.

There was only one other articulated hollower that bolts to the ways, at the show. After I played around with it, I can say that I think the articulated models operate a little smoother. Meaning the motion in and out is very similar, but the Carter system doesn't have a "roller" or bearing to smooth out the motion going away from you and pulling towards you. The polished bars just slide against each other in this motion. It is very smooth, but the articulated hollower, with all its bearings was just that much smoother in all directions.

Overall the package was something like $500 without the hunter bit, so they are on par with others. The only ways bolted articulated setup on sight was $500+ and honestly the build quality wasn't up to the same standard as Carter's. I haven't seen a Monster or Kobra in person, but from the pictures I think this particular articulated hollower was NOT as well built. Except their boring bar was square with an articulated tip, so the need to change the tip for undercutting was eliminated. I really thought that was a decent idea.

One thing, also, about the Carter system, it is pretty long. The long boring bar and long handle really seem to add up to the overall length.

Keith Burns and Ron Campbell and I talked about the Carter system quite a bit and and I think that it is all going to be up to individual turning preferences and if the feel of a captured system or an articulated is your favorite. I know Keith really likes it and he and Ron were both demo-ing it and it works pretty good.

For myself, I am leaning towards an articulated system after feeling the smoothness of the elbo jointed system. I just dont know what the life expectancy on the bearings are like.

Scott Hackler
06-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Way to go Scott. The burner caught my eye as this is a technique I soon wish to explore.

David, I had a pen style burner already and have used it on a few projects....BUT the Burnmaster is a REAL pyro system. Holy Moly does this thin get hot fast and it cools down just as fast. I played around a little with the heat set at 8 on a piece of Cherry and its an instant burn. I can see myself using pyro a lot, expecially after I get some nichrome wire to make myself a custom looking tip to do background fills.

I had a long talk with Molly Winton about the single vs the dual pen versions and she said that unless your turning out production level quanities, the single would do well for most people. They are the exact same unit, except for the number of pens. She uses the dual so she doesnt have to swap between her usual basket weave tip and a fine point to draw her animals.

David Reed
06-28-2011, 11:29 AM
David, I had a pen style burner already and have used it on a few projects....BUT the Burnmaster is a REAL pyro system. Holy Moly does this thin get hot fast and it cools down just as fast. I played around a little with the heat set at 8 on a piece of Cherry and its an instant burn. I can see myself using pyro a lot, expecially after I get some nichrome wire to make myself a custom looking tip to do background fills.

I will be waiting for a post production report.

charlie knighton
06-28-2011, 11:40 AM
For myself, I am leaning towards an articulated system after feeling the smoothness of the elbo jointed system. I just dont know what the life expectancy on the bearings are like.

Scott, i have had the elbo tool of Stan Townsend for over 5 years. i have not had any trouble with the bearings. i did have to have a square tool rest made at local metal shop because my lathes tool rest did not go low enough. Stan has additional cutters if needed, i bought some just for backup, still using orginal ones. you can get a flat top turning if that is your design.

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2011, 8:52 PM
Yup - sure was fun! Glad to see you picked up some stuff that will be useful! Ren wax is expensive but I think you will really like using it!

Bernie Weishapl
06-28-2011, 9:06 PM
Great haul Scott. You are going to love the burner. Makes pyro a lot of fun.