PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Nicol's shop - Inspection Report!!

John Keeton
06-27-2011, 9:38 PM
Well, I am happy to report that the "shop police" inspection resulted in a favorable report!! Jeff had gone to great lengths to ready his shop for the pre-announced visit, and everything appeared to be in order.....well, that really isn't true!!

He had swept up the shavings -

And, he had spent a good bit of time sorting stuff - and "arranging.";)

199536 199539

Last, but not least, he did not score well on the "ponytail" chart - :rolleyes:

But, quite honestly, Jeff's mind runs in high gear 24/7, and "order" for him means having 10 new ideas to work on!! He has dozens of beautiful turnings in near finished state, various projects in progress, and a list of things he wants to build that would take most folks a lifetime.

I thoroughly enjoyed the visit with him, and the times we shared at the symposium. Jeff is a brilliant man, with more innate abilities than one man should have! He is a caring, multi-talented individual that is good to the core. We should hope all humans share his traits.

Thanks, Jeff!!

As a side note, this was the total haul from the symposium -

a bunch of wood (the front half was from Jeff!!), and a few tools, including a new CBN 180 grit wheel for my grinder. I am excited to try out the new tools, and the CBN. The wood - it will take a while!!

David E Keller
06-27-2011, 9:48 PM
Thanks for the inspection report! It looks like you two had a good time, and I'm happy to hear that you didn't have to 'shut him down'. I love shops like Jeff's... All those drawers and shelves must hold treasures beyond imagination.

I'm anxious to hear your report on the CBN wheel... I've been eyeballing a wheel upgrade for a while.

Perhaps the most amazing thing about this post... You hauled wood halfway across America in your trunk, and yet, it's SPOTLESS!

David Warkentin
06-27-2011, 9:54 PM
Wow. Looking good Jeff. Next time I come visit my sister up there I need to stop. Besides, don't I owe you a load of wood?

Jeff Fagen
06-27-2011, 9:59 PM
Good thing you got pictures,that's the cleanest I've ever seen his shop.

David DeCristoforo
06-27-2011, 10:01 PM
Ahh... another one bites the dust.. so to speak. And that car trunk... it's not "spotless", it's "speckless". I'm sure everything was thoroughly sanitized before being placed therein.

charlie knighton
06-27-2011, 10:01 PM
nice haul, nice shop

Michael James
06-27-2011, 10:05 PM
I'm truly sorry I missed that party! I'll bet it got deep and got deep fast... but if either of you tires of your introverted ways, I can help!!! :eek::D:cool:
mj

Doug W Swanson
06-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Look at all that room in your trunk. You could have bought A LOT more stuff!

Baxter Smith
06-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Not being able to visit Jeff in his shop was my only regret to flying rather than driving the 3200 miles round trip. He would be a great neighbor to have, I could imagine picking his brain on a regular basis!
I did check out those wheels after you suggested them but when I started thinking why not get both grits, it got a little overwhelming! Sort of glad I only had a carryon.
It was kind of amusing watching John pull his rolling suitcase of wood behind him as he walked through the vendors area. I am sure it was just as spotless inside!

Jeff Nicol
06-27-2011, 10:49 PM
John, You are too kind with your description of me and my never ending flow of thought processes, I think I designed and redesigned 10 different things while walking through the trade show and in the instant gallery the wheels got turning on form, finish and embellishments that I will have to tweak for my own style!

I have to say it was a true pleasure to finally get to meet you John, the personality that goes with the charming smile we see each day on the creek are a great combination, it feels like we have been freinds for 30 years! This goes for just about everyone I got to meet at the symposium. Creekers are some of the greatest folks around, and I talked to many others just in passing from all over the world, woodturners are a great group of people!

Thanks again John for the very kind words,

Jeff

Jim Burr
06-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Well it's clear who stole Jeff's hair!!!! Well done to both of you! We should all have those visits!!

Steve Mawson
06-27-2011, 10:59 PM
Wow, you guys just make me GREEN, envy you know!!

Mike Svoma
06-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Wow, John. He never cleans his shop for me. I have to echo Jeff Fagan's statement "Good thing you got pictures,that's the cleanest I've ever seen his shop." You are truly.........royalty. :):):)

Dick Wilson
06-28-2011, 11:54 AM
John, I am really disappointed in you. That trunk is a total failure. It needed to be filled up so you would have to spend half a day moving this here and moving that there so you could get the dang lid down:rolleyes::rolleyes::mad:. Being I have never met you in person.....only see your picture when you post....................YOU HAVE A PONY TAIL?????
We in the wood turning world are doomed!!!!! Who let that elderly hippy in the symposium??:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2011, 9:18 PM
I have to echo the sentiments... that's the cleanest I have ever seen Jeff's shop! Must have just caught him at a weak moment!

Dick... John does have sort of a hippie look going on - never really noticed that till now! I think it nurtures his creative side... artist that he is!

John Keeton
06-28-2011, 9:20 PM
Hey, Dick - would a beret help?????:rolleyes::D:D:D

Just so all will know, the ponytail is Steve's fault!! I had always said when I got to the point I just didn't care what people thought, I was letting my hair grow out. Well, I thought that point was about 2-3 years from now, but Schlumpf pulled me across the line. I ain't takin' the full blame!

Rick Markham
06-28-2011, 9:52 PM
Don't take the blame Steve! (We all know it's because Mrs. Keeton likes it):D

John Keeton
06-28-2011, 10:04 PM
Don't take the blame Steve! (We all know it's because Mrs. Keeton likes it):DTolerate might be the better word!!

Dick Wilson
06-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Hey, Dick - would a beret help?????:rolleyes::D:D:D

Just so all will know, the ponytail is Steve's fault!! I had always said when I got to the point I just didn't care what people thought, I was letting my hair grow out. Well, I thought that point was about 2-3 years from now, but Schlumpf pulled me across the line. I ain't takin' the full blame!

Yup, a black beret. Small round dark glasses with a pack of rolling papers sticking out of your pocket:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Rick Markham
06-29-2011, 3:58 AM
Tolerate might be the better word!!

hehe, I think I can relate to that! I'm not the easiest person to be around the LOML is a saint for putting up with me. Y'all are a bunch of saints for putting up with my ribbing too ;)

Tim Thiebaut
06-29-2011, 4:01 AM
hehe, I think I can relate to that! I'm not the easiest person to be around the LOML is a saint for putting up with me. Y'all are a bunch of saints for putting up with my ribbing too ;)

Rick do you ever sleep?!?!? Asks the person who is also up every night at 2am....I think I saw Kathy hanging around this late as well....

Rick Markham
06-29-2011, 4:05 AM
Rick do you ever sleep?!?!? Asks the person who is also up every night at 2am....I think I saw Kathy hanging around this late as well....

I like to creep around here at the wee hours. I'm largely an insomniac. I actually do almost all of my turning late at night :) It's nice to know there are other night owls out there too!