PDA

View Full Version : Best outdoor finish?

Randall Clark
06-27-2011, 5:01 PM
I am making a "garden" type bench out of pine for my wife to put on the front porch from spring through fall. What is the best way to finish this bench after the initial staining process. And while I have your attention, what is the best outdoor project paint options for a bench like this? Thank you in advance for your help.

Harvey Pascoe
06-27-2011, 5:32 PM
I think the best outdoor finish is stainless steel. Not to be a smart-ass but I really don't know of a good outdoor finish for wood where I live and I've tried just about everything. No matter how good a job I do, somehow water gets into the wood and swells and the finish lifts off, crack, peels, mildew eats it, sun oxidizes it. I have even finished the inside of joints before assembly. No go. Even tried raw teak but that went to pot in no time, oiled teak, varnished teak, all the same. Don't know where you live but I"m in Florida and I think wood outside is hopeless. Perhaps your climate is less harsh.

Steve Friedman
06-27-2011, 5:47 PM
Make sense that boat owners would have the best answer for this:

First, a couple of coats of Smith's CPES Epoxy

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=1268&familyName=Smiths+Warm+CPES+Epoxy

Next, either:

1. If you want clear, then seven (I think) coats of Epifanes varinish (I like the matte finish the best); or

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=4123&familyName=Epifanes+Wood+Finish+Matte+Varnish

2. If you want color, then Epifanes Yacht Enamel

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=1175&familyName=Epifanes+-+Yacht+Enamel

Steve

Scott Holmes
06-27-2011, 7:29 PM
Not to rain on your parade; the pine is as much if not more of a problem as the type of finish. Pine will not do well outside unless it's pressure treated landscape type pine.

A quility marine varnish as mentioned or a quality EXTERIOR oil based paint or enamel would be the best protection from the sun and weather.

An all stainless steel bench would be best, but it would get very hot.

Randall Clark
06-27-2011, 9:42 PM
The bench will be on a porch under a roof--no walls. It will have a bit of a chance to last longer.

Steve Schoene
06-28-2011, 4:29 AM
Pine is a poor choice--I agree with Scott about that. To compensate for that you should give up any sort of clear finish. Paint--high quality oil based exterior enamel. The roof will only help it last longer to the extent it shields the bench from the sun--rain isn't the enemy.

Bob Direso
06-28-2011, 4:26 PM
If you have to go with Pine, and want a natural wood finish, I would get a quality outdoor oil paint base only, no tint added. The base will dry clear. Bob.

Kent A Bathurst
06-28-2011, 6:12 PM
If you want clear, then seven (I think) coats of Epifanes varinish (I like the matte finish the best)

FWIW - I used Epifanes on Western Red Cedar gates that are part of a big arbor/entrance. Zero sign of deterioration in the Atlanta sun after two summers. I used the standard product for 6 coats, then matte for the final coat [client change "his" - ie her - mind at the last minute.

Harvey Pascoe
06-29-2011, 6:04 AM
Not to rain on your parade; the pine is as much if not more of a problem as the type of finish. Pine will not do well outside unless it's pressure treated landscape type pine.

A quility marine varnish as mentioned or a quality EXTERIOR oil based paint or enamel would be the best protection from the sun and weather.

An all stainless steel bench would be best, but it would get very hot.

Yes, any of the catalized marine products will do well if you want to go that far. Marine varnishes will do okay so long as water doesn't enter through joints or fasteners, and they will minimize the mildew problem but not eliminate it. I used to have marine spar finished French doors - almost never got wet - but the finish started lifting off in no time anyway due to all the joints and crevices. A bench with mechanical fasteners rather than glue joints will work better if you seal the joints before finishing. For outdoor stuff, I put the joint together with 3M 5200 adhesive - which acts as a bedding compound along with mechanical fasteners, stainless bolts or screws. This will go a long way toward keeping moisture out and the finish on.

Stainless sure would get hot! I was joking of course.