PDA

View Full Version : Jet Mortiser Buy/Not Buy?

Jerry Olexa
02-13-2005, 12:36 PM
Have opportunity to buy Jet BenchTop Mortiser JBM-5 at reasonable price from friend. Ready to give him a check on Monday but have some concerns: This is the slower 6amp/1720 rpm motor, Is "hold down" system adequate? , can you do bigger mortises than 1/2", etc. What's your overall rating on this mortiser? I think some of you favor the Delta but this Jet seems to be a good value. LMK. Thanks for your input...

Jim Becker
02-13-2005, 12:42 PM
I like mine and it's served me well. For larger than 1/2" mortises, you can either adust the workpiece and use a smaller chisel set or find a cutter with a shank that has been milled down to fit the chuck. (I have a 3/4" chisel that is configured that way, but I can't remember where I got it from)

Mike Cutler
02-13-2005, 2:00 PM
Jerry. I have the Delta 14-651, but I'm sure the Jet is just fine. As a matter of fact, the feature that tipped the Delta in my favor, the taller fence, turned out to be a non issue because I took the fence off and installed an XY sliding vise on the base.Continually loosening and tightening that hold down was a drag.
I overlapped 3/8" chisel paths to do a 3/4" mortise. i didn't have many to do tho', so it wasn't too much of a hassle.
If the Jet is in good shape, and the price is fair, I say go for it. ;)

Fred Voorhees
02-13-2005, 5:12 PM
Jerry - the small number of times that I have used my Jet mortiser, I have been pretty happy with its performance. No complaints. If your getting a good buy on it, I would go for it. I can't imagine that big of a difference between the performance of the Delta and the Jet machines. JMO

Bob Flemming
02-13-2005, 7:15 PM
I have yet to find one complaint with my JET mortiser. If the one you are considering has not been abused, go for it if the price is right.

Steven Wilson
02-13-2005, 7:27 PM
Unless you're planing on getting the Powermatic, the Jet will do nicely. I don't use mine much anymore as I generally prefer to hand chop mortises.

RichMagnone
02-13-2005, 8:01 PM
Unless you're planing on getting the Powermatic, the Jet will do nicely. I don't use mine much anymore as I generally prefer to hand chop mortises.

Unfortunatly, I've gone the other way. I was staring at my Jet mortiser today in the garage thinking: "I never use that anymore" because of the Kreg Jig (I'm not making heirlooms!). I will be trying my hand at some craftsman style stuff soon, so it may get some use now that I have rediscovered it.

Don Selke
02-13-2005, 9:37 PM
Hi Jerry from a former Illinois resident:

I have the Jet mortiser and although I do not use it on a daily or sometimes on a weekly basis, when I have used it works great and has never given me any problems. I purchased mine from a local tool store that was running a sale. Have talked to several woodworkers who have the same mortising jig and they report the same results.

Jerry Olexa
02-14-2005, 10:48 PM
Bought the Jet mortiser and its now sitting in my shop ready for set up and trial!Thanks for your advice and input...Hmmm , he also has a 6" Jet Jointer cabinet style but that's another issue...Thanks, guys! Anxious to try it!:)

Steve Clardy
02-15-2005, 10:40 AM
I am well pleased with my Jet. Nice machine