PDA

View Full Version : Are These of Any Value?

John Altberg
06-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Met a young man over the weekend who is looking to sell the two sets of Sorby tools pictured below. They are not HSS, so may not be of interest or value as a usable tool, but was wondering if they have any value to a collector. They look to be mostly unused. Is old Sorby carbon steel worth trying to use? Have not been able to find much on-line regarding these old tools, either. Any information would be appreciated.

John

Jim Burr
06-27-2011, 1:23 PM
Depending on the price and condition...I think all tools have value! You may have to spend a bit more time sharpening, but it may not be a bad idea.

Dan Hintz
06-27-2011, 1:24 PM
You'll have to be a little more careful during sharpening not to overheat them, and maybe sharpen a bit more often, but other than that they should be perfectly usable tools. If you can get them for a good price, I'd take them.

John Hart
06-27-2011, 2:07 PM
I bought an old set of tools like that a few years ago. I was a bit leary about whether they were "worthy" as well. I was told that they were "spindle" tools and that I should be careful.

Well, now that I am old and wise (and bent a few of them into pretzels) I know what "spindle" tools are. But I still use them. They sharpen really really fast :eek:

David DeCristoforo
06-27-2011, 2:27 PM
I have a "set" of Sorbys just like the one in the pic on the left. I use them with no issues. There is nothing "collectable" about them. They are not that old. But they are decent tools.

John Altberg
06-27-2011, 3:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Anyone care to venture an opinion regarding the fair market value of these tools? The seller is asking $250 per box. Please tell me that he is way off the mark!

Jamie Donaldson
06-27-2011, 4:01 PM
$250 is WAY off the reasonable price for carbon steel tools! You can buy only the new ones you will use in HSS for just about the same amount! They might be a bargain buy at $50 per box!

Jim Burr
06-27-2011, 4:16 PM
Ouch!!! Run away or offer him a lot less!!

Keith E Byrd
06-27-2011, 5:17 PM
I have some very old carbon steel tools - sharpen fast and sharp and have to be sharpened more often - don't overheat!
$250 is way over the top!

John Hart
06-27-2011, 6:05 PM
The ones that I discussed earlier....$10

Bill Bulloch
06-27-2011, 6:43 PM
They have sold on ebay form less than $50.00. But, even at that price, I would have to be tool starved to buy them.

Dan Hintz
06-28-2011, 6:47 AM
As an example, I picked up a set of 6 Sorby turning tools, normally $300, for $150 during a recent sale... and those were HSS. As others have said, a set of 7 HCS brand new would probably be in the $150 range, so I would offer $50-$75.

William Bachtel
06-28-2011, 7:52 AM
I wood not pay more than $lOO for all of them. Go spent more and get better, like Doug Thomspon. You got some real good advice on the selling price of these tools from creekers.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-28-2011, 11:51 AM
I'd rather spend 40 or 50 bucks at Harbor Freight for one of their HSS tool sets. They are a good deal. Not the best, but at 50 bucks shipped to your door, can't complain about that. I still use most of mine. The ones you don't use, you can grind into a shape that you can use. And they are some form of HSS, and much better than plain carbon steel. As mentioned, CS requires much sharpening. Sharpening = time not turning.