PDA

View Full Version : Have you waxed your clamps lately ??????

Bill Huber
06-27-2011, 10:17 AM
I know most everyone knows to wax their clamps, it just one of those things you some times forget about.

Today I noticed I had some glue on my clamps, I like to put wax paper on them but I forget to do it a lot. So I thought it was time to clean them up and get that glue off.

Took about a minute a clamp, they had been waxed, just used my glue scraper and the glue just popped right off.

Then I pulled down the last clamp and started to clean it, I had not waxed it, just must have missed it. So after about 20 minutes of work had it nice and clean. Then I did a quick wax on all of them, takes no time at all.

So what I am saying is you need to make sure you get those clamps waxed. I put the wax on and do not buff it, just leave it like it is and that has worked out very well for me. It sure is a time saver when you go to clean them.

Prashun Patel
06-27-2011, 10:43 AM
I've learned this the hard way.

Bob Riefer
06-27-2011, 10:54 AM
thanks for the tip, I hadn't heard that one yet and am too new to have learned the hard way yet. I'll wax the clamps tonight when I do my monthly table coating. Thanks!

David Nelson1
06-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Nope Never thought about it. Good idea11

Kent A Bathurst
06-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Nope. Never did that. Instead, I use hardwood scraps for cauls - helps spread the load - wrapped with cello packing tape.

Steve Griffin
06-27-2011, 1:38 PM
never once waxed my set of clamps. Just zip the sliding part of the clamp up and down and glue be gone!

The last thing I want on my aging clamps with tangs reluctantly gripping is something slippery.

-Steve

David Giles
06-27-2011, 2:06 PM
After waxing some of those orange clamps, the jaws would not grab the bar anymore. (Brain freeze on the manufacturer.) Had to clean them up with mineral spirits to keep them from slipping. No problem with the Besseys, but they have larger teeth. Another example of "a little is good, but a lot can be bad".

johnny means
06-27-2011, 2:25 PM
I got to agree with Steve and David. Clamps are best kept clean. A little thought and planning before gluing up will keep glue off of clamps better than waxing ever will.

glenn bradley
06-27-2011, 4:46 PM
thanks for the tip, I hadn't heard that one yet and am too new to have learned the hard way yet. I'll wax the clamps tonight when I do my monthly table coating. Thanks!

This is definitely one to learn from others mistakes. Simple, quick and so less painful that trying to get that stuff off. I wax 'em and still use wax paper or blue painter's tape. When I am doing the dry run for the glue-up I just look where gravity will land any squeeze-out should it occur and if its not covered, cover it ;-)

Zahid Naqvi
06-27-2011, 5:16 PM
hmm! it never occurred to me to put wax in clamps, I thought the chrome on the metal parts will not allow any glue to stick, unless we are talking wooden clamps.

Neil Brooks
06-27-2011, 5:46 PM
I thought the chrome on the metal parts will not allow any glue to stick,

Neither my glue NOR my clamps ... got that memo ;)

When I remember ... I use paraffin or painter's tape on the "teeth."

When I don't remember ... I have some scraping to do :o

Harvey Pascoe
06-27-2011, 7:53 PM
I'm careful, I don't get any glue on my clamps . . . well, of course a little but I always wipe it off. Not a believer in over-glueing, I spread it out evenly thin so I rarely get waterfalls of squeeze out. Gad, I hate that! Stuff ends up everywhere.

Now, any advice about those ugly screw handles that are all crapped up from you gluey hands?

Gilbert Vega
06-27-2011, 8:14 PM
I used to wax mind when I first started collecting K-body but now that I have over 120 of them it's just too much to keep track of. I just wipe them off as I use them.

Gilbert Vega
06-27-2011, 8:17 PM
Someone (Besssey?) Used to sell slip-on rubber sleeves that would aid in tightening
Should hide the glue as well.

phil harold
06-28-2011, 11:11 AM
never once waxed my set of clamps. Just zip the sliding part of the clamp up and down and glue be gone!

The last thing I want on my aging clamps with tangs reluctantly gripping is something slippery.

-Steve
+1 on this
some clamps I have owned for over 25 years and have not waxed

David Giles
06-28-2011, 2:27 PM
I used to wax mind when I first started collecting K-body but now that I have over 120 of them it's just too much to keep track of. I just wipe them off as I use them.

Pics, please!

Neil Brooks
06-28-2011, 2:49 PM
Pics, please!

Amen.

I'd bet a buck he STILL doesn't have enough clamps, though ;)

Gilbert Vega
06-28-2011, 5:22 PM
Pics, please!

I should have clarified my statement. Some of the larger clamps are Jorgenson Cabinet Masters. This pic is several years old and I have added aproximately 30 more Bessey K-bodys as well as about 30 some tradesman clamps.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/00lightning/home/030.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/00lightning/home/032.jpg

Jim Finn
06-28-2011, 6:42 PM
First I have heard of waxing clamps! Any glue sticking to them just pops off when I slide the clamp open and closed. I use only kwick clamps.

Craig Hunt
06-29-2011, 1:29 AM
I've read before that waxing clamps keeps the glue away, but no one ever says what type of wax they're using.
I have two kinds in my shop; bees wax and paste wax. Which one would work better?

Bill Huber
06-29-2011, 1:45 AM
I've read before that waxing clamps keeps the glue away, but no one ever says what type of wax their using.
I have two kinds in my shop; bees wax and paste wax. Which one would work better?

I just use good old Johnson Paste wax, use it on everything, table saw, band saw, drill press, router table, bottom of my cross cut sled, the Ridgid sander. If it moves I wax it, if it doesn't I vacuum the dust off of it.

Paul Wunder
06-29-2011, 7:30 AM
Bill,

As always, your posts are educational and on point. Thanks.

David Giles
06-29-2011, 9:00 AM
Now we know the answer that recurring question, "What is the best wall covering for my shop?" !