PDA

View Full Version : Rockler forstner bits?

Greg Urwiller
06-27-2011, 8:55 AM
Has anyone used Rockler's forstner bits? They've got a 22 pc set on sale for $60, that's half off normal price. I've just got a few odd sizes from the local box store and could use a better set. Thanks. Greg

Chris Kennedy
06-27-2011, 9:24 AM
I have the 8 piece HSS set, and they are good. I don't use them a lot, and I only use them in handheld drills but they have always done a perfectly fine job. No complaints.

Cheers,

Chris

Bill Huber
06-27-2011, 9:57 AM
I have that set and they have worked ok for me. I will say that some are not the sharpest bits I have ever used. A small file and a few min. and you can fix that.

It is nice to have that many to choose from when doing different projects and you didn't have to spend an arm and a leg.

Neil Brooks
06-27-2011, 10:12 AM
FYI: I bought an awfully complete set from Grizzly ... very reasonably priced ... and they've held up extremely well.

Dan Hintz
06-27-2011, 10:27 AM
I have that set and they have worked ok for me. I will say that some are not the sharpest bits I have ever used. A small file and a few min. and you can fix that.
I have a set from Harbor Freight... out of the box they barely cut (dust is what I was getting), but like you, a few minutes with a file and they cut pretty well (6" long curls, which surprised me).

john bateman
06-27-2011, 10:33 AM
I bought that set last time they were on sale. At first I was disappointed, because they just did not look that good...or sharp. But I used a couple to bore some test holes, and they drilled easily, and the hole size was within a few thousandths of the nominal value.

Larry Anderson
06-27-2011, 7:37 PM
FYI: I bought an awfully complete set from Grizzly ... very reasonably priced ... and they've held up extremely well.

Which set do you have? I've looked at their sets and got confused with the large variety of prices and set sizes.

Karl Card
06-27-2011, 11:42 PM
I think I have the 22 piece set and I got mine for 40 bux on sale about a year ago. I just started using mine to make salt and pepper grinders and I really do like them. They seem to really throw the shaving back out of the grinders when I drill the holes in the center.

Neil Brooks
06-28-2011, 9:09 AM
Which set do you have? I've looked at their sets and got confused with the large variety of prices and set sizes.

Er ... um ... well ... this one:

LINK (http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H7694-Master-Forstner-Bit/dp/B000E34BUI)

Discontinued :(

I tried to glance at the Grizzly site, to see what might be similar, the the site was throwing errors _all over the place_.

glenn bradley
06-28-2011, 9:19 AM
I got the 16 piece set back when it was on clearance. The fit and finish is rough but I have not found one that is not true. I sharpen my own Forstners so I just touch up whichever one I am gong to use prior to the first use and they have been fine. Absolutely no comparison to a quality bit but the 16 piece set cost about what I paid for one Freud 1-1/8" bit so what do you expect. A fair set for the sale price IMHO.

Thom Porterfield
06-28-2011, 2:38 PM
My daughter gave me this Woodcraft 10 bit set (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000774/17707/Forstner-10-Piece-Bit-Set.aspx) for Christmas. I think it was on sale then for less than $40. The bits cut nicely (I use them primarily in my drill press) without burning or tear out. Yeah, they're imported from China, but are a vast improvement over the Harbor Freight ones that cost half as much. (But then we all know: Harbor Freight is the only store that makes "tool" a four-letter word.)

Dan Hintz
06-28-2011, 8:51 PM
As I said, with a little filing, my HF kit does just fine making long curlies like a quality hand plane. I just bored out some holes in a Maple butcher block top night before last and the only time the curlies broke is when I stopped applying pressure. One of these days I'll get around to filing the teeth around the edge.

Ed Edwards
06-29-2011, 12:26 AM
Take a look: H7694 Master Forstner Bit 31 pc. Set

Ed

.productThumbnail { width: 32px; height: 32px; border: 1px solid #990000; text-align: center; } .productThumbnail table { width: 32px; height: 32px; } .productThumbnail table td { text-align: center; } table.productImageGrid { margin: 0px 15px 15px 0px; background-color: #FFFFFF; text-align: center; } .productThumbnail { width: 32px; height: 32px; border: 1px solid #990000; text-align: center; } .productThumbnail table { width: 32px; height: 32px; } .productThumbnail table td { text-align: center; } table.productImageGrid { margin: 0px 15px 15px 0px; background-color: #FFFFFF; text-align: center; }

Kurt Cady
06-29-2011, 7:35 AM
Take a look: H7694 Master Forstner Bit 31 pc. Set

FYI - I received this set as a gift for Xmas 2010. It's basically July 2011. Every month I call and every month they tell me the estimated shipped date is 'next month.' Hopefully I will get it before Xmas 2011. Maybe.

David Hostetler
06-29-2011, 4:11 PM
FYI - I received this set as a gift for Xmas 2010. It's basically July 2011. Every month I call and every month they tell me the estimated shipped date is 'next month.' Hopefully I will get it before Xmas 2011. Maybe.

While I have done well with Grizzly, and indeed do have that set which shipped on time, I would think that by now, you would have either the merchandise, or a refund either from Grizzly, or the card issuer. It seems like Grizzly is having some serious supply chain issues...