PDA

View Full Version : Keep Present 3-1/4HP Router or change to MLCS Lift with Smaller Router

Alan Lightstone
06-27-2011, 8:04 AM
Having a dilemma. I'm kinda annoyed using my Woodpecker PRL-V2 lift. It's just a pain to set the height it overshoots up, then down, until I can get it close enough to use the dial.

I've been seriously thinking about buying an MLCS PowerLift, but I would have to change to a smaller router (2-1/4HP max). This is for a router table in my table saw extension. The PowerLift is compatible with a Porter Cable 890 series or a Bosch 1618EVS which are 2-1/4HP Routers, but I've got a Porter Cable 7518 in my present table which is a 3-1/4HP router. I do cabinetry, and do use large horizontal frame and panel bits on occasion.

What do you guys think I should do? I would likely put the old equipment on CL (take a bath, but it's really annoying me).

Dave Gaul
06-27-2011, 8:20 AM
Have you contacted woodpeckers to troubleshoot the problem with the lift?

I wouldn't down size the router in your case.

glenn bradley
06-27-2011, 8:24 AM
This is interesting. What is the range of the fine adjustment? Are you saying that it is awkward to use the quick-lift feature to get close enough to the rough setting to then dial it in to final height? I run the PRL-v1's at 16TPI and use a cheap Costco lithium screwdriver to make the rough adjustments. It is not as fast as the QR feature of the v2 but I can get to bit changing height with a squeeze of the trigger for about 10 seconds.

Does the Side-Winder override the fine adjustment limitations? I would keep the more powerful router and add a Side-Winder before going to a smaller motor. I think MCLS's choice to go with a 3.5" motor selection in their motorized lift was a real mistake but, in fairness, many folks own routers that fit this form factor. Until I knew of this limitation I was in a "purchase ready" state. I have run tables with 2+ HP motors and they do a good job. I am just spoiled form running the 3-1/2HP locomotives for the past several years ;-) A flexible motor optioned lift chassis with a motorized foot pedal and a decent scale system would be about as close to perfect as I could hope for in a router table. JMHO.

Alan Lightstone
06-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Are you saying that it is awkward to use the quick-lift feature to get close enough to the rough setting to then dial it in to final height?

Yes, that's exactly the issue.

I don't have the Side-Winder. I've heard some negatives about it. I need to look at it more closely.

I'm hoping to have my cake and eat it too. I also don't know why MLCS chose the smaller router route. This would be a no-brainer for me if my router was compatible.

Jerome Hanby
06-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Does seem odd that they didn't accommodate what seems to be the go to router for table use...

Mike Wilkins
06-27-2011, 11:38 AM
I also have a Woodpecker and love the robust construction of the unit. Don't like the number of turns it takes to make coarse adjustments, but I got it used at a great price so I just live with it. It would be hard to produce a reasonably priced unit that adjusts with micrometer-like accuracy, unless you have the cash to spring for a high-dollar Martin shaper. I would stick with the current set-up with more power.
Just my nickel's worth.

Cyrus Brewster 7
06-27-2011, 12:59 PM
I don't have the Side-Winder. I've heard some negatives about it. I need to look at it more closely.

I have the Side-Winder on my PRL-v1 and love it. However, I did have to do some work to it. It bound up almost immediately (like others have said). Instead of retuning it - because of the design flaw (stamped, not machined) - I took the crank apart and hit the shaft and bore with 200 grit. I then put a small bit of high quality machine oil on it. The crank has worked flawlessly since.

I believe the crank does overcome the fine bit adjustments of the wheel on the V2.

glenn bradley
06-27-2011, 4:49 PM
[QUOTE=Mike Wilkins;1730018Don't like the number of turns it takes to make coarse adjustments[/QUOTE]

$15 at Costco = 199495

Alan Lightstone
06-27-2011, 6:03 PM
I can't see how that can work on a PRL-V2. Am I missing something?

I do use that trick with my Laguna Jointer/Planar. Love it.

Ray DuBose
06-28-2011, 10:49 AM
I have a PRL V1 and a V2. I did the same thing on the V1 since I purchased it with fine threads (Drill and Bit). I had issues with the V2 at first with using the quick lift part on my PC 7518. I called woodpeckers and they had me back the screws off the pad a little and it moved up and down easy. Apparently overtightning the Pad screws causes the quick lift portion to bind and not move smooth.

Alan Lightstone
06-28-2011, 1:29 PM
I have a PRL V1 and a V2. I did the same thing on the V1 since I purchased it with fine threads (Drill and Bit). I had issues with the V2 at first with using the quick lift part on my PC 7518. I called woodpeckers and they had me back the screws off the pad a little and it moved up and down easy. Apparently overtightning the Pad screws causes the quick lift portion to bind and not move smooth.

Which are the screws that you are referring to? There's a few of them.

Ray DuBose
06-28-2011, 2:14 PM
Which are the screws that you are referring to? There's a few of them.

There are I think 3 pads that hold the motor and this would be the ones in the front that have the 2 set screws to compress the pads on the motor.