PDA

View Full Version : Mission credenza joinery help

Dave Cav
06-26-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm building a pair of mission style credenzas. The first one, below, will have drawers in the center section. The second, to be started later, will have a kneehole where the drawers are, but both will have the end doors and upper drawers.

I'm using QSWO for the bulk of the piece, with alder being used for the internal parts. I don't plan to use any plywood or manufactured panels, and I'm using traditional joinery as much as possible. The end panels are shiplapped and set into rabbets in the legs and stiles, and all of the face frame joints are M&T, with the exception of the front, back and end top stiles which are set into the legs with sliding dovetails. The photos show construction to date with everything dry fitted. Final tuning of the joints hasn't been done yet although the tenon shoulders have been cleaned up.

Here's the problem- I need to put a bottom in it, make internal framework for the drawer supports, and put panels between the end cabinets and center drawers. I have some ideas, but I would like to hear how you folks would construct the internals. I don't have a problem using wood screws for the internals where necessary, but I don't plan to use pocket hole screws, bisquits, Dominos or any other newfangled work arounds. As mentioned above, I plan to use alder for all the internals, and can glue up and plane panels up to 18" wide with my PM 180 if necessary.

Front

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/sunshinenight/Credenza/Credenzafront.jpg

Back:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/sunshinenight/Credenza/Credenzaback.jpg

End

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/sunshinenight/Credenza/credenzaend.jpg

Thanks

Dave

michael case
06-26-2011, 10:34 PM
Since you don't want to use ply, and feel dominos are a work around, I suggest you use a traditional web system

Dave Cav
06-26-2011, 10:48 PM
I'm thinking of something along those lines, but need a little help in the details of how and where to build and connect the webs.

glenn bradley
06-26-2011, 11:47 PM
+1 on webframe construction. I normally make the front part of the webframe with "for show" material and it serves as the divider as well as the frame. Your front is already framed so I would be tempted to pocket hole to it. Not for primary support, just for added rigidity.

You will want vertical stiles at the rear so support the webframes ( I would dado them into the stiles as yours are stand-alone) and the sides can connect to the panels you use to separate your doored area from the drawers. Here's a construction method that I find reliable although I often use bridal joints for web frames (this one is M&T). Since it is not part of your original design, there will be things that won't work but, maybe it will give you some ideas.

Dave Cav
06-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks, Glenn. I'm going to use web frames as suggested, and your drawing helps firm up some details. I'm working through the details of how to connect the frames to the sides/ends, and I'm getting a better idea of how to do it. Probably going to have to add internal stiles between the front and back legs to connect the panels to.

michael case
06-29-2011, 6:11 PM
Dave,
what are you thinking of for drawer runners? I was at the Stickley store a while back and the sales people were very nice about showing me around and telling about the products. Stickley does not use center runners, but grooves the sides of the drawers and uses side mouted runners. I was told the company has done this almost from the beginning. I was told in fact that they were offered a very large contract to do Williamsburg reproductions which called for center rails and would not budge on this one point. They got the contract after some argument and did it the Stickley way with the side mounted glides. Personally I have found this simple method produces a smoother working drawer. If Stickley does it, its certainly in the tradition your currently working in. It would also possibly save you trouble since all you would need are frames to which to attach the horizontal runners. P.S. that's looking like one nice piece of furniture

Dave Cav
06-30-2011, 2:07 PM
Thanks Michael, that's good information. Although center guides are easier to build, I have found they can also let the drawer bind. Since I'm refining the design for my internal web frames right now, I'll incorporate side guides into my plans.