PDA

View Full Version : The AAW did not dissapoint!!

Jeff Fagen
06-26-2011, 5:23 PM
I had not been to an AAW event and didn't know exactly what to expect.
When I lived in Chicago I would attend the Chicago woodworkers show but this was much much more.The galley didn't look all that big but once you started it took forever to look through it.
The show floor was awesome with all the live demos going on and being able to put your hands on all those tools and products and even try them out was simply amazing.
It was amazing to walk past the meeting rooms and see all the great woodturners you've only seen in magazines or on video.
Although it was only an 80 mi.drive for me I would have driven farther.
It was fun dining with the Creekers and meeting the very talented people you see on here everyday.I can only hope a little of that will rub off on me.
If you think these people are engaging on this forum you should to meet them in person.Wow!
I was only there on Sat. but you really need another day or two.:D

Jeff Fagen
06-26-2011, 5:44 PM
Let's see if I have some more.

David E Keller
06-26-2011, 6:16 PM
My goodness! That's a homely lookin' bunch sitting at the table there!:eek:

A couple of handsome fellas like Hart and I would have stuck out like sore thumbs!:D

Seriously, glad to hear you had fun, and I appreciate you sharing the photos with all us poor saps who had to stay at home!

Greg Just
06-26-2011, 6:18 PM
I had a great time - 3 long days. Lots to see and many opportunities to help stimulate the economy. Best part was that my son won one of the Jet mini-lathe packages that were raffled off on Saturday. Package included the lathe, stand, tools, chuck and face shield. He was one happy boy. He also participated in 3 turning rotations in the Youth Room set up by the AAW. He asked if we were going to San Jose next year! Fellow Creeker Doug Swanson's daughter went home with a lathe too.

Tim Thiebaut
06-26-2011, 6:46 PM
Wow there are some incredible pieces of artwork there, and I am sure this is just a small sampling of that, would have loved to have gone, maybe in the future I can make one.

Rick Markham
06-26-2011, 6:54 PM
I'm totally jealous! Instead of buying multiple hollowing rigs etc. I'm saving my pennies to go next year. Great photos and thanks for posting them for us who couldn't make it. Man, I really love looking at Ray Feltz's segmented work... I only wish I had any patience for that kind of a thing. I really love those larger amphora forms, especially the red one with squares on it, very spectacular. Who's the lady turning the bowl?

I wish I could have gone... I'm hungry and dinner looks good.

Bernie Weishapl
06-26-2011, 7:41 PM
Glad to hear that ya all had fun. I had a ball during the 3 days at Richmond symposium.

Greg Just
06-26-2011, 7:55 PM
From the Creeker Dinner on Saturday night

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-26-2011, 7:56 PM
I missed the dinner but did get to meet a few Creekers. All good people. Boy do some of those large vessels look familiar.

John Keeton
06-26-2011, 8:23 PM
I just want to thank all the creekers that showed up for the dinner. I saw most of them at various times during the event, but not all. It was great getting to share some time with them!

...Who's the lady turning the bowl? ...Rick, strange that you should notice her!!;) That is Ashley Harwood, who was in the high class demo booth with Stuart Batty. Very good turner, and added a little more class to an already over the top setup that Stuart had set up in the vendor area. She was hardly noticed by all the men that were lined up standing room only to watch!!:D

Boy do some of those large vessels look familiar.Hmmmmm.......wonder why?????;):rolleyes::D Nice work, Joe, and they do look much better in person.

ray hampton
06-26-2011, 8:24 PM
wish that I were there

Doug W Swanson
06-26-2011, 8:40 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed my first symposium. It was really nice to see some of those turners in action. Each one had their own style and methods but they all made great items.

As far as the youth program goes, my daughter had a great time. She was a little reluctant to go but I finally talked her into it. We had spent all of 45 minutes Thursday night showing her my lathe before her classes on Friday. Once there, she had a blast. She was very excited to win a lathe package. While I think that's great, I'm even more excited that she enjoys my hobby of woodturning and wants to start making stuff with her new tools. Heck my 7 yr old son is now excited about it. To me, that's what it's all about! I couldn't be prouder...

The dinner was also a great time. I only wish I could have met more of the Creeker's in there but it was kind of hard with the table situation. The people I did meet were all very nice and it was great to talk to them!

Tim Thiebaut
06-26-2011, 8:52 PM
. She was hardly noticed by all the men that were lined up standing room only to watch!!:D

Hmmmmm.......wonder why?????;):rolleyes::D Nice work, Joe, and they do look much better in person.

Yea...uuhhh...I hardly even noticed her myself...."cough"....Anyone know where it will be held next year, or is it always in St Paul?

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-26-2011, 8:55 PM
It looks like a good time was had by all. Thanks for posting the pictures. It gave us all a flavor for the fellowship.
faust

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-26-2011, 9:03 PM
Next year it will be in San Jose California. It's in a different part of the country every yr.

Alan Trout
06-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Yep it was a great time we had. Just finished off a fine dinner with a bunch of folks from the symposium. It was a great time as well. I will be flying back tomorrow afternoon. I am going to visit the AAW museum in the morning before heading off to the airport.

Alan

Jeff Nicol
06-26-2011, 11:15 PM
It was a lot of fun, met many SMC members, but hard to meet everyone as the venue was pretty huge! I think I walked 5 miles around,up, down and in and out of rooms! I got home and napped for 3 hours, then caught up on the newspapers and got scared when I checked my e-mails! Close to 300 of them and I will just have to look at the important ones first in the morning so I came over to SMC for a minute before I hit the hay.

Some will be telling stories of new lathes and tools and wood and on and on the were purchased at the symposium, it will be a great week of threads and pictures. So everyone who was not able to attend it will be like you were there.

Jeff, Great to see you at the dinner, John it was great to finally meet you and spend time chatting about lots of things. Alan, it was a true pleasure to see your works of art in person and they are inspirational for sure! Joe, your tall HF's were beautiful also, I took so many pictures of things my camera was just about dead when I got to the table with your pieces on it, but I got some nice ones to share with other members here in the area.

Doug, it was a highlight for me to meet your daughter and see the smile on her face telling us of her time at the symposium and winning the lathe package! You will be able to spnd many wonderful hours in the shop with both your children, precious memories will be made, congratulations to you all!

Well I am retyping more than I am typing and have rambled enough,

More tomorrow,

Jeff

Rick Markham
06-27-2011, 12:19 AM
Rick, strange that you should notice her!!;) That is Ashley Harwood, who was in the high class demo booth with Stuart Batty. Very good turner, and added a little more class to an already over the top setup that Stuart had set up in the vendor area. She was hardly noticed by all the men that were lined up standing room only to watch!!:D

:D I was just checking out her bowl :p I'm sure everyone else was too... Always have to keep your eyes out for pleasing forms ;)

Donny Lawson
06-27-2011, 6:45 AM
That is some beautiful pieces. I'm glad everyone had fun. Maybe one of these days I can attend.

John W Dixon
06-27-2011, 9:22 AM
I gotta say I'm more than a little green with envy. Glad everyone had a great time.

Jim Adkins
06-27-2011, 9:25 AM
I too had a blast meeting the creeker bunch and yes it was a busy three days. After San jose next year it will
move to Atlanta for 2013. Next up in August is SWAT in Waco, TX. It's the second largest symposeum after
the AAW. I'm planning on going, lots of talent there too including Doug Fisher with his wild Pacific Northwest turnings.
Most of all I enjoyed meeting all the Creekers. What a trip!!!!!!

Brodie Brickey
06-27-2011, 2:32 PM
Greg,

Congratulations to your son on the new lathe package. Will you now be turning side by side?

I had a great time - 3 long days. Lots to see and many opportunities to help stimulate the economy. Best part was that my son won one of the Jet mini-lathe packages that were raffled off on Saturday. Package included the lathe, stand, tools, chuck and face shield. He was one happy boy. He also participated in 3 turning rotations in the Youth Room set up by the AAW. He asked if we were going to San Jose next year! Fellow Creeker Doug Swanson's daughter went home with a lathe too.

Dan Henry
06-27-2011, 3:40 PM
I also enjoyed the symposium and the the creeks dinner, sure nice to put a face to to the name.

Thanks to every one who made the dinner possible.
Dan

Don Geiger
06-27-2011, 5:31 PM
I just want to say "Thanks!" to all the Creekers that came by the Robust booth to say "Hi". I apologize for not making it to the dinner. I was tied up at the booth until after 6 then had to take a bunch of stuff to my room. I'm sure everyone had a great time. I wish I had been there.

Don Geiger

charlie knighton
06-27-2011, 5:46 PM
thanks to Greg and Doug for setting the dinner up, glad to put some faces with names, good turn out, had a blast, hope to see more Creekers down the road

Scott Hackler
06-27-2011, 8:04 PM
Yeah, thanks to all involved in setting up the dinner. It was a good get together (even though I had to park 4 blocks away!!).

charlie knighton
06-27-2011, 8:14 PM
It was a good get together (even though I had to park 4 blocks away!!).

on the walk from hotel to river center one morning, i had a motorist and woodturner ask me where i parked, i had to answer Raleigh

Greg Just
06-27-2011, 9:28 PM
Greg,

Congratulations to your son on the new lathe package. Will you now be turning side by side?

I need to clean the shop a bit and make some room for the new lathe. I have a long weekend coming up and plan to spend one day just cleaning. I should be able to fit it in. It was nice meeting you and your wife at the show.

Baxter Smith
06-27-2011, 9:40 PM
Thanks for the pictures Jeff and thanks to Greg and Doug for setting up the dinner. The whole symposium experience was a great one but meeting so many creekers was the part that I will remember the longest. My only regret at the dinner was that I didn't get to sit at each and every table. Guess I will just have to do this again!