PDA

View Full Version : How slow is to slow

Bruce Dorworth
06-26-2011, 4:37 PM
I was trying to cut letters out of a 1/2" Corian yesterday with my 80 watt laser. I had it down to speed of 1 and 100% power. Is ther such a thing of .5 power? I am almost there, I even tried focusing a little closer. Any other tricks?

Bruce

Frank Corker
06-26-2011, 6:52 PM
It depends on what type of laser you have. Some have extra settings to reduce below the acknowledged lowest speed of 1. Maybe you should update your profile and tag the type of laser and wattage that you have, that way someone who has the same might be able to help you out.

Bruce Dorworth
06-26-2011, 7:26 PM
That was going to be my next question. Just how do change your profile/tag?

Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce Volden
06-26-2011, 8:09 PM
At the top of the page click settings-edit signature-save... 1/2" Corian, in my opinion, would be out of the laser realm (for me anyway). I couldn't imagine the focus thing even with a 4" lens. Were it me I'd have to farm it out to the CNC router folks--Dan, chime in here.

Bruce

Scott Shepherd
06-26-2011, 8:19 PM
1/2" Corian with this laser is not going to give pretty results. Time or finish. You need a spinning tool to cut it efficiently and clean, in my opinion.

Rodne Gold
06-26-2011, 8:20 PM
You should be able to input fractional speeds , like 0.3 , your speeds are mm/s generally and not a % figure if you using one of the chinese machines. 12mm corian is really asking a bit much of the machine , maybe you can try do it in multiple passes adjusting th focus further into the material as you go.
Check that the machine itself has not had a minimum speed set that will perhaps override any user set minimum speed.

Bruce Dorworth
06-26-2011, 8:25 PM
I cut 1/2" acrylic on a speed of 4 and power of 100.

Bruce

Frank Corker
06-27-2011, 5:34 AM
To change your details, go to the top right of the page on SMC click on settings and view all the options there. You will be able to change your settings - you just need to 'EDIT SIGNATURE'

Rodne Gold
06-27-2011, 6:01 AM
Bruce , cutting perspex is not the same as corian , the perspex itself acts like a waveguide to the beam and you can cut much thicker stuff than the lens or power suggests. Once you get to solids like corian , the power density of the beam as it converges and diverges from the focal point will be low and the laser will struggle.

Keith Outten
06-27-2011, 7:04 AM
I cut some letters from half inch thick Corian awhile back with a 60 watt machine. It took about five very slow passes and there was a lot of charing but the letters cleaned up fine. As mentioned before this is a task best suited for a router but if the project calls for very small letters a laser can do the job. If you use quarter inch thick Corian the quality is much better.

Bruce Dorworth
06-27-2011, 11:16 AM
THANKS everyone, that answers my questions.

Bruce