PDA

View Full Version : Steve Schlumpf - We want to know the truth!!

John Keeton
06-26-2011, 8:04 AM
Steve, some of us that were in attendance at AAW know you have a "secret", but there are also some that feel you might not publicly post about it unless you are pushed a little.

So........what is the secret you need to share with us??????

Tim Thiebaut
06-26-2011, 8:13 AM
Oh this sounds like its going to be good...Steve take pity on us that couldnt attend and give us some dirt on whats going on!! Whats your secret?!!? Did you win an award??

Alan Trout
06-26-2011, 8:18 AM
I know, but can keep my mouth shut.

Alan

Scott Hackler
06-26-2011, 8:20 AM
Lol
I know the secret....I know the secret! :)

John Hart
06-26-2011, 8:55 AM
You Symposium slugs are "In The Know" while us Non-Symposium low-life scumbags are back here carrying water. It is unfair I tell ya.

C'mon Mr Schlumpf....What gives?

Nate Davey
06-26-2011, 8:58 AM
A lot of people know the "secret" so is it still a secret? Steve, your fans want to know what the "secret" is.

David E Keller
06-26-2011, 10:13 AM
I know the secret, too! Like Alan, I can keep my mouth shut. I'll let Steve spill the beans(not coffee beans, Hart... Sheesh!).

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Steve,
Get on the stick and let us know your secret so we can all share the joy. We feel like outcasts not knowing.
faust

Terry Murphy
06-26-2011, 11:51 AM
we CAN handle the truth!

philip labre
06-26-2011, 2:46 PM
What's the secret??? Is the ponytail a clip on?

Doug W Swanson
06-26-2011, 5:16 PM
Mmmm. I know the secret but I'm not going to tell....

Ed Morgano
06-26-2011, 5:58 PM
Steve, where are you? We NEED to know your secret.....please.

Rick Markham
06-26-2011, 6:05 PM
What's the secret??? Is the ponytail a clip on?

Haha, now THAT would be a secret! Come'on Steve, fill us in! Or let us know that your not going to tell so we can work over the other members until we discover "the weakest link" :D

John is a lawyer... I know there is no hope of getting any useful information from him :p

Jeff Fagen
06-26-2011, 6:16 PM
I don't know what the big secret is but Steve's ponytail is definitely real...and so is John's. A sign of a true artist!

David E Keller
06-26-2011, 6:18 PM
I don't know what the big secret is but Steve's ponytail is definitely real...and so is John's. A sign of a true artist!

That's it! I'm starting my ponytail right now! It ought to be ready about the time all the hair on top falls out...

Rick Markham
06-26-2011, 6:34 PM
That's it! I'm starting my ponytail right now! It ought to be ready about the time all the hair on top falls out...

Well when the stuff up top is gone, you better enjoy what's left over right. Not me, when the top goes, all of it is going, and I am going to use my Bealle buffing system to put a glass like sheen on my head!

Michael James
06-26-2011, 6:55 PM

Not a problem doc, get a beret or keep the Bballcap thing going on. Flowered shirt, sandals....or go the Tex / Okie route: boots and a cowboyhat....no suits allowed!
15 minutes is not a great deal of time to get emotionally invested in the whole gestalt. ;)
mj

David DeCristoforo
06-26-2011, 6:57 PM
Well, I don't have a pony tail. And who needs "the truth"? I'm not even slightly curious. Not at all. Not one little bit. Couldn't care less. Ho hum... I probably won't even read it when SS finally let's it out................

Rick Markham
06-26-2011, 7:42 PM
Uh yeah, what Double D said! I'm far too busy... up to my elbows in mesquite shavings... can't wait to show Kathy! What were we talking about again?

Doug W Swanson
06-26-2011, 8:25 PM
OK, here's the deal. I can't hold it in any longer.....

Here's what happened: I was secretly watching John and Steve look over some Big Leaf Maple and Claro Walnut in the vendor area. John was digging for his wallet when Steve scooped it up and bought it out from under John's nose.

I think that's Steve's secret. Or was it something else? I can't remember now.....

John Keeton
06-26-2011, 8:30 PM
Not even close, Doug!! It did involve a wallet, but it wasn't mine!!!!!;):D:D:D And, it didn't involve Claro or BLM!

Steve Schlumpf
06-26-2011, 8:53 PM
John... you are funny...

First off... the Ponytail is real and I highly suggest all you art types out there to try it... Berets are optional!

As far as a big secret ... nothing really to tell. I know that the standard policy here is "No Pictures, Didn't Happen!" So, seeing as how I won't have any photos for 10 to 12 weeks... then I guess nothing really happened. BUT, I did meet some really great folks, spent a TON of money and am totally exhausted! For all you driving home.... be safe!

Tim Thiebaut
06-26-2011, 8:59 PM
John... you are funny...

First off... the Ponytail is real and I highly suggest all you art types out there to try it... Berets are optional!

As far as a big secret ... nothing really to tell. I know that the standard policy here is "No Pictures, Didn't Happen!" So, seeing as how I won't have any photos for 10 to 12 weeks... then I guess nothing really happened. BUT, I did meet some really great folks, spent a TON of money and am totally exhausted! For all you driving home.... be safe!

Tease...!!!

Josh Bowman
06-26-2011, 9:08 PM
As far as a big secret ... nothing really to tell. I know that the standard policy here is "No Pictures, Didn't Happen!" So, seeing as how I won't have any photos for 10 to 12 weeks... then I guess nothing really happened.

OK.....we'll make an exception.......what is it!!!

Steve Kubien
06-26-2011, 9:27 PM
What kind of lathe did you order?

Rick Markham
06-26-2011, 9:42 PM
Yeah, what type of lathe did you get? Going to search manufacturers now to see who has a backlog... Hmmmm Robust or stubby... We have to wait 10 to 12 weeks to find out... Your trying to kill us! Or I mean... uh just going back to my turning... nothing to see here ;)

Pete Jordan
06-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Congrats Buddy!

I couldn't be happier for you!

David DeCristoforo
06-26-2011, 10:43 PM
What? A new lathe? That's the seceret?!?! I knew this was going to be a let down as soon as I read it. A guy gets a new lathe that he doesn't even have yet and no pictures of it and he still wants to keep secret what kind it is? Well I'm not gonna lose any sleep over this one. I couldn't care less. Not even slightly interested. Ho hum... zzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Kathy Marshall
06-26-2011, 11:29 PM
I know a secret that Steve doesn't know yet :D

Ed Morgano
06-26-2011, 11:34 PM

Kathy, I believe I can make an educated guess at that secret.

Rick Markham
06-26-2011, 11:40 PM

Kathy has the best secrets!

Jeff Fagen
06-26-2011, 11:53 PM
Funny isn't it Steve how more people are interested in this thread than the news about the symposium.They must be board with Lindsey Lohan and Casey Anthony.

Matt Hutchinson
06-27-2011, 7:45 AM
Well I'm not gonna lose any sleep over this one. I couldn't care less. Not even slightly interested. Ho hum... zzzzzzzzzzzz.....

I believe reverse psychology will work,
I believe reverse psychology will work,
I believe reverse psychology will work,...............

:D

John W Dixon
06-27-2011, 9:21 AM
C'mon Steve, Inquiring minds want to know!

Dick Wilson
06-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Steve, If you want to tell us what the "BIG" secret is that's fine. If not, I could care less. I am so in the hole trying to get work done this week for next weekend show (after having a great show this last weekend) that I don't have the time or brain power to bite on this whole thing. Of course being from the UP and hitting the huge city of St. Paul there may be some personal behavior issues. I would be interested in those:D:D:D:D Hope you had a great time at the show.

David DeCristoforo
06-27-2011, 12:14 PM
OK... this Steve Schlumpf guy must have been an inquisitor in a previous life. How else could he hold out in the face of such pressure? Not that I care what his secret is... not at all... no, no... not one little bit. And his cohort, Keeton who knows but will not say either? Another tormentor. No? Ha! Just look at who started this... not that I want to know.

Steve Kubien
06-27-2011, 1:17 PM
Just to clarify, a new lathe is only a guess on my part, backed up by 100% pure, factual speculation.

Justin Stephen
06-27-2011, 1:21 PM
I was at the symposium and the dinner and I have no idea what the secret is. :(

Ronald Nelson
06-27-2011, 1:58 PM
I have a photo, so it did happen. I won't spoil Steve's surprise though.

Brodie Brickey
06-27-2011, 2:45 PM
I saw Steve on Sunday morning. Despite his acquisition he looked kinda down. John was more excited than he was.

Steve: Were you questioning your choices? Or was it a release from the pent up tension of a tough decision?

David Gilbert
06-27-2011, 3:02 PM
I saw Steve at the symposium and he told me what he did. I didn't know that it was a secret at the time. Since there aren't any photos, I will just go with the assumption that it hasn't happened (yet).....

By the way, the symposium was great!

Cheers,
David

Don Geiger
06-27-2011, 3:08 PM
Savor the mystery!!

Gary Conklin
06-27-2011, 3:45 PM
I am guessing you have some AB in your future...eh?

John Beaver
06-27-2011, 4:21 PM
I could tell you..... but I'm not gonna.
Lets just say it will be worth the wait.

Ed Morgano
06-27-2011, 5:44 PM
The way this is going down, it is obvious that there are two groups of people here.....the "haves and the have nots". The Haves want to play important by keeping the secret a secret...... FINE!!!! :confused::confused::confused::eek::D

John Keeton
06-27-2011, 8:01 PM
Let's just say - it is a BIG secret!!!!!!

Roger Chandler
06-27-2011, 8:05 PM
Perhaps it is a "Serious" secret.................hummmmn..........:confused:

Scott Hackler
06-27-2011, 8:05 PM
You can say that AGAIN!

Dick Wilson
06-27-2011, 8:09 PM
Let's just say - it is a BIG secret!!!!!!

John, I now see what your game is. All this "big secret" crap is payback for all the razzing you have taken about your clean shop.;););) You are going to have to do much, much better than that. So he got a lathe........so what??? So did I:D:D:D:D:D

John Keeton
06-27-2011, 8:09 PM
Roger, I don't think it is a "serious" secret, but it certainly is a dark secret.

John Hart
06-27-2011, 8:10 PM
I knew it. He bought the Brooklyn Bridge.

I told him not to do that.:rolleyes:

Roger Chandler
06-27-2011, 8:11 PM
Roger, I don't think it is a "serious" secret, but it certainly is a dark secret.

Well John, I'm sure the secret is still a "beautiful" thing.............well I am not really sure, but you know speculations! :rolleyes:;)

Mark Levitski
06-27-2011, 8:13 PM
Envy!!!! Those American Beauty's are very nice. My wife and I stopped at Brent's shop on the way down to th Dubuque show a few weeks ago. He had one on the floor ready to ship. After seeing it up close, I can see why there are such rave reviews and endorsements. Steve, there ARE pictures online that you can post. They will suffice to end this thread of great mystery. Again, envy, and you beat me to my choice of lathe upgrade.

Roger Chandler
06-27-2011, 8:15 PM
Envy!!!! Those American Beauty's are very nice. My wife and I stopped at Brent's shop on the way down to th Dubuque show a few weeks ago. He had one on the floor ready to ship. After seeing it up close, I can see why there are such rave reviews and endorsements. Steve, there ARE pictures online that you can post. They will suffice to end this thread of great mystery. Again, envy, and you beat me to my choice of lathe upgrade.

Mark,

Why end all the suspense..............besides, It keeps SMCreekers coming back in droves!! :eek::D;)

Jeff Nicol
06-27-2011, 9:05 PM
Blue Eyes cryin in the rain.....Willie Nelson ON WISCONSIN!!!! Go Bucky!! For purple mountains majesty.....God shed his light on Steve!!! Guiness Stout has a very __________ flavor. (fill in the blank) and if that won't do it well time is on our side!

Jeff

David E Keller
06-27-2011, 9:10 PM
Blue Eyes cryin in the rain.....Willie Nelson ON WISCONSIN!!!! Go Bucky!! For purple mountains majesty.....God shed his light on Steve!!! Guiness Stout has a very __________ flavor. (fill in the blank) and if that won't do it well time is on our side!

Jeff

Willie Nelson? Did Steve buy a marijuana farm?

Scott Hackler
06-27-2011, 9:13 PM
lol, that got an out loud laugh!

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-27-2011, 9:18 PM
Steve,
If someone guesses, don't validate it. Following this is too much fun. I would hate to see it end. "marijuana farm !!!!!!"
faust

Baxter Smith
06-27-2011, 10:06 PM
...... spent a TON of money and am totally exhausted! ....
It was probably closer to 3/4's of a ton if my calculations are correct. Would have loved to see their faces when you showed up with that many nickles! No wonder your exhausted!:D

Bob Bergstrom
06-27-2011, 11:49 PM
I'm pretty sure I know what it is because he was talking about making a big decision at the symposium while in a discussion on Facebook.

Steve Schlumpf
06-27-2011, 11:51 PM
Wow! What a long day of driving! Been home for a little bit, unpacked everything and moved my few purchases to the shop and have to admit that the symposium really exhausted me! Loved talking to everyone, seeing all the vendors but standing on hard concrete for all that time just seemed to wear me out!

Anyway... I'm home now. Plan on getting some much needed rest and then will try to figure out what all this 'secret' stuff John was talking about...

Tim Thiebaut
06-28-2011, 12:20 AM
Very glad you made it home safely Steve! I see so many posts about the weekend here tonight I cant wait to go read it all!

kenneth walker
06-28-2011, 12:35 PM
My guess it is big and white and has to be made so it will go down into steves basement.
Just my guess.
KW

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2011, 1:16 PM
Well, I did spend some money while at the symposium... but only for those things I absolutely had to had in order to turn.

I bought the Oneway Live Center because the original Jet live center I got with my lathe has seen better days. One problem I had with it was I could never get the center pin out of it. One of the Creekers there told me that they do indeed come out - just have to whack hard a few times to break it loose. Well, I had already bought the new live center, but once home I whacked the dickens out of the original and sure enough, the center pin finally did come out! Who knew???

Next thing I bought that I absolutely had to have to turn was one of Dave Schweitzer's 180 grit CBN sharpening wheels. Expensive for sure, but takes forever to wear out and I am right at that time where both of my grinding wheels need to be replaced. We let everyone know how well I like it after using it for a bit.

AND... the big secret? No real secret.... I went lathe shopping. John and I checked out all of these brands so I could see what each model had to offer and see if it fit in with my style of turning.

Powermatic models 3520B and the 4224

Vega lathes

Oneway 2436

Robust American Beauty

Stubby 750

Gave all the models a good going-over and a couple of the lathes would work OK for what I do but one really stood out and that is the one I ordered. I was given a 10 to 12 week time frame before the lathe would be ready for pickup. I know.... no photos... didn't happen! Sorry. I was going to wait to post about this but everyone knows John is just a big gossip.

This is a photo from their website that shows what I ordered. Should be pretty cool to turn on!

Tim Rinehart
06-28-2011, 1:25 PM
I know you'll enjoy that 'beauty'. Congrats. I expect you ordered the 3 HP version...any other bells/whistles?

Scott Hackler
06-28-2011, 1:29 PM
Whew! Glad you spilled the beans and I am really glad I don't live within reasonable driving distance to help you carry that big boy down the stairs!!

I like your style Steve, GO BIG OR GO HOME! (or buy big and go home without it for 10-12 weeks....) :)

Bruce Page
06-28-2011, 1:31 PM
SaaWeeeet!
Congrats Steve. You should be all set with that Beauty!

Reed Gray
06-28-2011, 1:34 PM
You will love it!!!!!!!!!!! I do mine. You won't believe how much of a step up it is from what you have now.

So great to meet every one. Wish I could remember all the names to connect with the faces. Information over load.

Wish I had enough hair to grow a pony tail.

Only tool that stirred really stirred up my tool lust was the Stewart Batty belt set up. I don't know if he has any pics up on his web site, but well thought out and designed. He tool the knife grinding sharpening station up a notch or two. Only $1800 for the 2 belt set up, when others 1 belt ones are about $1800.

Must go back into info digestion mode for another month or so.

robo hippy

Joe Meirhaeghe
06-28-2011, 1:58 PM
Steve
Your going to love this lathe. Although I don't own one I've got to use one a couple of times a week for over 3 1/2 yrs now. I'd buy one in a minute if I could only afford one. It's what I call a must have before retirement.
Congrats.

Tim Thiebaut
06-28-2011, 2:35 PM
Oh now that is NICE!! Congrats on this Steve, hope you get many years of service out of this.

Alan Trout
06-28-2011, 2:38 PM
Steve,

I was hoping it would go over 100 post before the reveal :) But heck it is going to be one hard 12 week wait.

Alan

Rick Markham
06-28-2011, 3:39 PM
Good on you Steve! You certainly have earned it! That is one sweet Lathe, out of all of the choices you had, I would have made the same decision you did, that is a gorgeous machine! I'm super excited for you, that is super cool! The only thing it is missing is a red banjo. (sorry DD, I couldn't resist ;))

John Keeton
06-28-2011, 3:44 PM
FINALLY!!!!!! I thought I was going to have to make another trip north to drag it out of you!!!:D:D:D

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2011, 3:47 PM
BOLD talk!

Was going to talk about it earlier but had to run to town. Always something!

Toney Robertson
06-28-2011, 3:50 PM
Congrats Steve, that is a beauty all right.

I can't imagine how sweet it would be to turn on something like that one.

Dick Wilson
06-28-2011, 4:02 PM
I knew it was a lathe:(:(:(:( What a let down. I was expecting much, much more;):D:D Don't let that beast get away from you.

charlie knighton
06-28-2011, 4:30 PM
Steve......Wow!!!!!!!!! How can you sleep???????? you say you are exhausted, anticipation can do that, congratulations.

Bob Bergstrom
06-28-2011, 4:41 PM
John, what ever happen to lawyer client privilege??? At least you didn't go public on him. And Steve congratulations.

Ed Morgano
06-28-2011, 5:01 PM
Congratulations Steve. That is a beauty.

David E Keller
06-28-2011, 5:45 PM
John, what ever happen to lawyer client privilege?...

That is only for paying customers!

Just out of curiosity, Steve, what tipped you to the Robust over the others? I realize that they're all good lathes, but I'm interested in your thought process and how you chose one over another.

Nate Davey
06-28-2011, 5:52 PM
Congratulations Steve, I am truly envious. I'm hoping that will be my retirement gift for myself next year. I, also, would be interested in the things you considered before buying the Robust.

Jeff Fagen
06-28-2011, 7:10 PM
Step aside all you woodturning celebrities! Inquiring minds want to know what Steve Schlumpf is turning on these days.
The next thing you'll hear is Robust announcing it's "Steve Schlumpf" signature series lathes!;)

Bernie Weishapl
06-28-2011, 7:26 PM
Steve congrats. I can't wait to see the real pic's and what comes off it.

philip labre
06-28-2011, 8:18 PM
Congratulations Steve!!! Good for you and if you need a hand getting it down the stairs, give me a call. A little work is worth it to check that baby out up close.

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2011, 8:18 PM
Thanks for all the Congrats everyone - I appreciate it!

A couple of you asked why the Robust when there are so many big lathes to choose from?

Well, presently I turn on a 2 hp Jet 1642, so with the Powermatic 3520B, I would gain 4" of swing but nothing in hp and the bed is shorter than what I am used to. The Powermatic 4224 is a heavy duty lathe and has the swing but it doesn't have a sliding headstock - so that means you end up bending over the ways for any bowls, platters, etc. Not real fond of bending anymore....

The Oneway 2436 is a great looking lathe and I am sure it would be a dream to use... but... it has a fixed headstock and that means at some point you will end up bending over the ways!

The Vega lathe looked pretty nice and would be a great bowl lathe - which is what it is designed to do. However, that doesn't quite fit in with what I want to turn; hollow forms.

Checked out the Stubby 750 and it does have a lot of versatility but I noticed that no matter where you move the bed... you still have to lean over the rear foot of the lathe. Again... leaning is not one of my favorite things to do when turning.

The Robust.... stainless ways (so no rust), sliding headstock (no leaning), 3 hp motor (power upgrade), gas assisted tilt away for the 50 pound tailstock (makes it easy on an aging guy!) and a 25" swing. Well, that gave me a lot to think about! They were running a 10% off special during the symposium and I found out they were increasing prices $400 later this week. Another thing to my advantage, they are located in Southern Wisconsin - so I can drive down and pick the lathe up myself and save about $700 in shipping costs!

Believe me... it wasn't a snap decision. I've been checking out all the lathes online for about a year, knew their specs but had been waiting for the symposium to get actual hands-on and see what fit.

I am not promoting one lathe over another... but for me... Robust fit in with what I do now as well as having the versatility to allow me to turn just about anything I can imagine. One other point... I know of a few folks who were turning on Stubbys and Oneway 2436s and they upgraded to an American Beauty. Just me... but I have not heard of anyone upgrading from the big Robust.

When it gets time to head down and pick up the lathe... I will try and take some photos of the event. I think it is going to be a lot of fun and look forward to sharing it with everyone!

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2011, 8:21 PM
Thanks Phil! Appreciate the offer and may take you up on it! At present, I plan on taking the lathe apart and then reassemble in the basement. Should be an exciting time... maybe if I start working out now I will be in shape when the lathe is ready for pickup!

No matter... once the lathe is here, stop in any time if you want to check it out

Michael James
06-28-2011, 9:29 PM
Cool, but I was thinking you won the Bihn Pho paint job at the conference. Free is better, but I'm sure you know what you're doing and will get yrs of use and enjoyment out of it! Can't keep what you don't give away - you have a lot coming back your way.
Congratulations,
mj

Rich Aldrich
06-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Steve - Congrats! That is quite a lathe. One thing is for sure, you will not need to upgrade from this one.

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2011, 10:23 PM
Rich - this is going to be my one and only upgrade. Can't imagine outgrowing the Robust! Once I have it home and set up - you'll have to come over and give it a try.

Russell Eaton
06-29-2011, 7:55 AM
That is a MEGA GLOAT. Congratulations on a sweet lathe.

Baxter Smith
06-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Congrats again Steve! Its about the only lathe I would love to upgrade too!

Rick Markham
06-29-2011, 1:28 PM
Steve, I'm a "young" (er) guy and I get tired of bending over the ways. As you know I spent a long time looking at lathes before I bought mine, All the reason you liked the Robust are the same ones that I liked. The mustard monster won out due to budget (I figured I could get the Robust, but no tools or wood, and what fun is that lol) Plus, I'm still young and have a few more years of bending left in me. I love the tilt away tailstock. Several Robust owners here told me they have no regrets with their purchases and that it one of the smoothest lathes available. Your going to love it, I'm sure. (If you can keep all of us from coming over and trying it out, and you actually get to use it) Good choice on the Stainless Steel ways too, that pretty much ensures that it's gonna be around for several generations worth of turning. Super cool, I can't wait to see the pics, and to see where this takes on this adventure.

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-29-2011, 1:35 PM
Steve,
Good luck with the new lathe and stay healthy for the next 100 years to enjoy it.
faust

Don Orr
06-30-2011, 10:35 AM
That'll do nicely Steve. I hope you enjoy many happy years of turning with the "Beauty".

Steve Schlumpf
06-30-2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks a lot for all the kind words everyone - I sure do appreciate it! In 10 to 12 weeks, or whenever the lathe is ready for pickup, I plan on taking photos and sharing the experience with everyone. Should be a fun trip!

Rob Cunningham
06-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Congrats Steve. That's a fine looking lathe and a great gloat.
I'm sure the next 10 - 12 weeks will just fly by ;)

Jack Mincey
06-30-2011, 6:47 PM
Looks like a fine machine going to a fine turner. I'm sure you will enjoy it for many years to come. I think not only is the Robust lathe a great lathe, but being made in the USA makes them even better with so many of our jobs being sourced out to other countries. I can't wait to see what you create with it.
May the next few weeks go by quickly.
Jack

Mark Levitski
06-30-2011, 6:58 PM
Steve, watch out for the lathe banditos on the way home from Mt. Horeb! :)

Jim Becker
06-30-2011, 8:11 PM
Congratulations, Steve! While I'm very partial to my beloved Stubbalina (Stubby 750) despite the fact that I've been neglecting her too much, that's a really nice machine you ordered. You are going to have a lot of fun using it and a move up to that level will really open up more turning opportunities for you!

Dave Schweitzer
07-01-2011, 1:01 PM
Steve,
I gave that lathe a good work out in the trade show, and I think you made a good choice. Good to meet you and John and a ton of other turners.
Dave.

Mike Svoma
07-01-2011, 1:27 PM
Step aside all you woodturning celebrities! Inquiring minds want to know what Steve Schlumpf is turning on these days.
The next thing you'll hear is Robust announcing it's "Steve Schlumpf" signature series lathes!;)

I am just honored to be able to say the I met Steve before he became a "rich and famous" Robust lathe owner. LOL

Cathy Schaewe
07-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Nice! I enjoyed reading this thread and getting to the surprise! I turned on one of these for a couple of hours - I love my jet, but wow, what a lathe the AB is! Congrats!!!

Steve Schlumpf
07-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Thank you Cathy! I plan on keeping my Jet as it will be nice to have a small lathe to turn finials on! :D

Roger Chandler
07-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Thank you Cathy! I plan on keeping my Jet as it will be nice to have a small lathe to turn finials on! :D

That ought to be the new sales slogan for the Jet 16/42.........."Just the lathe you need for turning finials!" That'll work for sure! :D

Ken Fitzgerald
07-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Congrats Steve! Unless you start doing architectural turnings I can't imagine you'll out grow the American Beauty!

Cathy Schaewe
07-09-2011, 6:26 PM
That ought to be the new sales slogan for the Jet 16/42.........."Just the lathe you need for turning finials!" That'll work for sure! :D
Hey, with John and Steve turning finials on it, it just might be a selling point!!

Bill Bolen
07-09-2011, 6:49 PM
I thought long and hard about the same upgrade a few years ago but the fear of tearing down and trying to get it in the basement stopped me. I'm really looking forward to your photo essay on moving that big girl to you basement shop. May just inspire me to re consider ...I hope...I hope...I hope. Congtat's Steve!

Bill Wyko
07-09-2011, 7:06 PM
Congrats Steve. I must confess, I've been looking at the American Beauty. I have a really nasty Banshee quad I'm considering selling to get one. I was considering the VB36 but I'm not sure the extra money would be justifiable. I look forward to your review of your new Hot rod.

John Keeton
07-09-2011, 8:43 PM
I thought long and hard about the same upgrade a few years ago but the fear of tearing down and trying to get it in the basement stopped me.But, Bill - the whole thing breaks down and there is only ONE heavy part at about 150# if I recall correctly!!;) You have no excuse now!:D

Bill Bolen
07-09-2011, 9:15 PM
Ahh Gee thanks a lot John. As if I reallllly need a gentel nudge...

Roland Martin
07-11-2011, 8:32 AM
Steve, I lost track of this thread, haven't had the time to get on here much these past couple of months. I could'nt be happier for you, WOW, what great news!!! I really wanted to be able to make it to St. Paul to meet all you guys, just wasn't able to pull it off this year. Looks like you'll have the lathe set up just as the weather starts cooling off, what more can you ask for:). A "BIG" Congrats to you Steve.