PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail file

Mark Baldwin III
06-26-2011, 7:48 AM
I ground up a file to assist with getting into the corners of metal dovetails. This one is a fine cut. I got started on a coarse cut, but didn't finish by the time I decided to call it a night.

Terry Beadle
06-26-2011, 9:30 AM
There must be an infill plane project hiding some where in the back ground.

The dove tailed edges are smooth so I'm wondering if you considered trying to put some ridges on them to aid in the dove tail sockets side relief efforts?

BTW, good jog on the bevels. Very straight and uniform.

george wilson
06-26-2011, 9:33 AM
They actually made such files many years ago,when machinists weren't just button pushers,and actually had to tinker with parts,or rebuild machinery. I have a few NOS beveled edge files.

Mark Baldwin III
06-26-2011, 9:53 AM
There must be an infill plane project hiding some where in the back ground.

The dove tailed edges are smooth so I'm wondering if you considered trying to put some ridges on them to aid in the dove tail sockets side relief efforts?

BTW, good jog on the bevels. Very straight and uniform.

Yup, a dovetailed plane is in the plans. I have some brass and steel that I've practiced with. Results so far are horrible. Before my next attempt, I need to make a clamping block to hold the pieces better. I'm a picture geek, so as that project progresses I'll be posting. Maybe I can help get a few other DT wannabes (like myself) to give it a try! As of right now, I'm trying to "tool-up" the process.

David Weaver
06-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Looks like a single cut version of a swiss pattern barrette file, except the barrette files have nothing on the back of the file to cut.

If you keep your eyes out, the swiss made barrette files will show up on ebay for $7-$11, otherwise they are $20-$30 each depending on the size and what the retailers want at the time.

Jeff Hamilton
07-01-2011, 7:27 PM
Absolutely wonderful tool I would love to have one with 8 deg. bevel, safe on top and bottom with cutting edge on the bevel only. I could really use one to fine tune my marking gauges with. Do you know if such a file exists?