PDA

View Full Version : Hand crank grinder

Bobby O'Neal
06-26-2011, 12:24 AM
Anybody know where to buy a hand crank grinder like I've seen David Marks using?

Dave Lehnert
06-26-2011, 12:53 AM
They are kinda common item. I found one today at an antique mall. Another about two months ago.

Steve Branam
06-26-2011, 7:17 AM
Anybody know where to buy a hand crank grinder like I've seen David Marks using?

Heh, I had EXACTLY the same question a few years ago. It doesn't appear that anyone makes them any more; I've never found a new one for sale. I haven't found one exactly like his, but I did eventually find a fairly decent one at an antique store in Berea. It takes a 6" stone; I got a white Norton from SharpeningSupplies.com. One of these days I'll make his wooden tool rest.

I've also seen small 4" ones, but I think you're better off with a larger one, limiting the concavity of the hollow grind.

Dave Lehnert
06-26-2011, 9:55 AM
Anyone have a link to the one David Marks uses?

The ones I have take a 4 or 5" stone but a 6" fits very well.

Tony Shea
06-26-2011, 11:31 AM
I can't see where they are that common around here. I have a great antique tool source down the road, The Tool Barn, and can never seem to come up with one. I have come across a small one but was in such bad shape i passed. I've been looking for over a year now and just can't come across them.

Mark Baldwin III
06-26-2011, 11:59 AM
I have a Luther that is very similar to the one in Dave's second pic. I've seen quite a few hand crankers around my area. I imagine it may have something to do that Luther mfg was in Milwaukee.

Dave Lehnert
06-26-2011, 12:19 PM
Tony,

Not sure where you live but old tools are more common the farther east you go. I was in an antique store in northern Ohio last week and would had to pick which one I wanted. But then again I may not see one in the next year. You never know.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
06-26-2011, 9:36 PM
Tony,

Not sure where you live but old tools are more common the farther east you go.

Man, I've looked all over VT; and checked out a few places when I've been in NH. Does this mean I have to go to Maine?