PDA

View Full Version : Got Better Color Penetration...

James Combs
06-25-2011, 8:45 PM
... this time. My previous pen only showed a hint of color penetration using red Alumilite dye in Cactus Juice. This time I added triple the amount of dye and as you can see it is much better. I want to do a series of these in all the Alumilite colors that I have except black:rolleyes:.

Stats:
Material = very punky Spalted Maple stabilized with red Cactus Juice.
Hardware = Bear Tooth Woods Chrome SlimLine
Finish = Several coats of CA and polished.

Teaser::D

David E Keller
06-25-2011, 10:56 PM
Definitely more red, JD! I'll admit I had a vision of more red... RED!

Dave Bell
06-26-2011, 8:24 AM
Great looking pen James. I see you also did the same with the bowl as well.....nice!!!

I talked to Curtis last night about this because I have ordered some juice myself for making my own version of worthless wood blanks. I'm already casting the alumilite now I just need the juice to make the punky woods a little nicer. The alumilite will penetrate punky woods on it's own.

Dave

James Combs
06-26-2011, 8:34 AM
Great looking pen James. I see you also did the same with the bowl as well.....nice!!!

I talked to Curtis last night about this because I have ordered some juice myself for making my own version of worthless wood blanks. I'm already casting the alumilite now I just need the juice to make the punky woods a little nicer. The alumilite will penetrate punky woods on it's own.

Dave

Dave I am just curious but are you using both Alumilite resin and Cactus juice in the same blank? The reason I am asking is that I don't find that Cactus Juice is good as a void filler such as in "worthless wood" void filling. It may work OK to stabilize punky areas first then go back and fill any voids with Alumilite or PR resin but not by its self, at least that is my experience so far although that experience is very limited.