PDA

View Full Version : First casting

Jim Burr
06-25-2011, 7:09 PM
Made the blank last night and had to tolerate PR stink for 3 hours. Friend on another forum gave me a mix and I added to it so I wasn't a total slim. Lots of air bubbles but I was able to hide the big one with the clip...working on getting those out. Polished to 12k wet and finished with renwax. I'll carry this one for a while:cool:

John Hart
06-25-2011, 7:12 PM
Wow...First one? Sheesh man, that's some dazzling color you've achieved and a fine pattern. Nicely done, sir. :)

James Combs
06-25-2011, 8:33 PM
Looks nicer then a lot of the acrylic blanks I see for sale on some of the commercial sites. I think you got a winner.

Michael James
06-25-2011, 8:34 PM
Methinks you're on to something there, amigo! Quite the color goin on there. My head hurts with all the physics and chemistry lessons I get exposed to... I trust you'll work out the minor kinks and just show me the goods.....:cool::D:rolleyes:

Jerry Wright
06-25-2011, 9:30 PM
Jim - Nicely done. To minimize the bubbles, try placing under some sort of vacuum. It is an old trick with acrylic mounts for metallurgical specimens. If you have a pump for a vacuum chuck or even the pump on a "meat saver" with a small bell jar, flat plate and some sort of grease (vaseline) for a seal, you may see a big improvement. Lightly pump - non laboratory bell jars are pretty thin, and can implode!!

Donny Lawson
06-25-2011, 9:32 PM
Looks good. What is the process you go through to get the blanks? I've though about trying this myself but so far just bought them.

Jim Burr
06-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks for taking the time guys!! Almost put beans in there Hart....maybe later!
Jerry, I have a pressure pot, 2gal, on the way...that should help...if not, I'll shake the crap out of it!
Donny, by the book...4oz pour, 2 in the mold (silver) and bronze in a 2 oz cup. Went overboard on cat so it was a bit chippy, but not bad at all. On reaction I made the usual mistakes. Next one will be better!!!
Thanks again!!

David E Keller
06-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Looks good, Jim! I wish I had the set up for casting stuff. PM sent!

Dave Bell
06-26-2011, 8:34 AM
Great looking cast there Jim.......try placing the container of PR in really warm water before you pour it next time. This thins the PR and when you pour the PR into the mold the bubbles should raise to the top of the cast. No vacuum required for this method either, just warm the mixture or degas and warm it in an ultrasonic cleaner. They are available at Harbor Freight, but I'm not sure which one people are purchasing.

Dave

Andrew Kertesz
06-26-2011, 10:09 AM
If you are just going to pour PR with no additives other than color use 1/2" or 3/4" PVC. Spray the inside with PAM for a release agent, mix your PR in paper cups, add your color, (I use acrylic paint and Pearl-Ex powders), add your hardener and pour. I took a length of 2 x 4 and drilled appropraite sized holes with a Forstner bit for a stand. You can use duct tape to tape off one end of the mold. If you do a slow pour you don't get any air bubbles, if you want to add other items then you need the horizontal molds, and either vacuum or pressure. Go to the IAP website and check things out over there.