PDA

View Full Version : nailing crown moulding through stucco

aurelio alarcon
02-13-2005, 1:48 AM
does anyone have any suggestions on how to nail crown moulding through an old stucco wall? Thanks.

Tyler Howell
02-13-2005, 7:31 AM
Glue and screw some nailers to the stucco and and then nail your molding to that, You may have to use cement anchors of some sort (lead, plastic or red heads). The nailers can be as simple as triangular blocks.

Kelly C. Hanna
02-13-2005, 8:57 AM
I use nailers....you can use a mortar bit to get through the stucco to nail or screw the nailers in.

aurelio alarcon
02-13-2005, 9:40 AM
Excellent idea! I think that I'll do just what you guys are recommending. I'll cut some blocks and mark where they are so I'll know where to nail once the crown moulding goes over it. I'll probably use some type of anchor and screw the nailers into the stucco. Then I can just shoot some nails into these blocks right through the moulding. Again, thanks Tyler and Kelly.

Jim McCarty
02-13-2005, 9:59 AM
Instead of blocks, use long rippings . Each one should end about 4" short of the adjoining wall. You will probably need a helper to help you put these up, but you'll have no lack of nailing area that way.

aurelio alarcon
02-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Instead of blocks, use long rippings . Each one should end about 4" short of the adjoining wall. You will probably need a helper to help you put these up, but you'll have no lack of nailing area that way.Excellent idea! I might just rip a long piece at a diagonal. This way I'll get two nailers from one piece, and it will fit nice and snug into the corner between the ceiling and the wall.