View Full Version : In a pickle, need some advice

Dave Aronson
06-25-2011, 6:51 PM
OK, I am trying to put the final pieces to my pergola that I have been working on for a year now. I made some corner braces and I need to attach them with lag bolts. The problem is that I need to pre-drill two holes per corner brace for the 3/8" lag bolts and I only have a space of 6" between the two headers. I have a right angle drill but that alone takes up all but 1". The shortest stubby bits I've found are 2.3" which even when seated in the chuck I think will be just barely too big for the space.

Any other ideas about how I can pre-drill 5/16" pilot holes in cedar about 1" deep?

Kent A Bathurst
06-25-2011, 6:58 PM
Lag bolts implies through-holes. If they are through holes, I assume you have the same problem coming from the other side.

Lag screws, though, don't use through-holes. I'm going to guess that you are using screws, not bolts.

Can you remove a header? Could you use bolts instead, and then come from the other side for through-holes?

Or - get the cheapest drill bit you can find - not HSS - and get out Mr Hacksaw and shorten the sucker as needed to fit. Drill as far as you can, then change bits - insert a longer bit into the hole, then mount the drill to the bit, not the other way around - and finish the hole.

Lee Ludden
06-25-2011, 7:50 PM
If you are using lag screws, you can try some of the SPAX brand, they are grade 5 steel and don't need to be pre-drilled. They are available at Home Depot

Dave Aronson
06-25-2011, 8:19 PM
you are correct the are lag screws. I can't remove the header :-(

Maybe I should go to harbor freight and hack away.

What is special about the SPAX brand? are they galvanized?

Jamie Buxton
06-25-2011, 8:43 PM
This right-angle adapter takes considerably less depth than you cite for your right-angle drill: http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-49-22-8510-Right-Angle-Attachment/dp/B000BYEJ02

It wants hex-shank bits. Here's a stubby 5/16" hex-shank: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2021175/30802/Milescraft-516-1Piece-HSS-Twist-Hex-Drive-StubbyBit.aspx

Chris Parks
06-25-2011, 9:22 PM
you are correct the are lag screws. I can't remove the header :-(

Maybe I should go to harbor freight and hack away.

What is special about the SPAX brand? are they galvanized?

A review on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3309WQG3A0BT2/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R3309WQG3A0BT2

You can see the serations on this page

http://www.spax.com/usa/

I have never used them but they look like a good thing.

Karl Card
06-25-2011, 9:26 PM
My comment is that if you just screw a lag thru cedar will it not make the cedar split? I was under the impression that cedar would split fairly easy.... Just a thought.

Dave Aronson
06-25-2011, 9:44 PM
My comment is that if you just screw a lag thru cedar will it not make the cedar split? I was under the impression that cedar would split fairly easy.... Just a thought.

yeah, I'd prefer to pre-drill it.

Lee Schierer
06-25-2011, 9:48 PM
Unless you design won't allow it I would use 3/8 carriage bolts and drill through from the out side. Carriage bolts will give you superior strength and will have less tendency to split the wood.

If lag screws are your only option use Timber Loc screws. They are high strength steel and you can use a much smaller size for equal or greater strength. Put a washer under the head to keep them from pulling into the timber. They can be used with or without a pilot hole in most woods.
http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/XjLsltVJLMO1W7OlSREzDgMHaZs04ryTwPILDUJGKy-yLI3YVYKO6KkP8577v0hPGOMH_9iwq6Db9c6WQkd000UJBo5sq TAJ8ahv_j0StW_6U1tH4eLpsu9rC1GkAOg23NK-zV8dRXTEevmYgLtrEUPKVkAd5DtKo9TuWPTN1AAykR3cCY4DJX TC27o

My cordless Dewalt right angle drill is only 4-1/4 long so you would have more drill bit to work with.
http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/UgB5GP1Euj9PiZF7WTRmJzoQ-4QCgu-RAkzW-NUDRu3UzlFw8vqQ3KR6vIodCQAEjd8CXxUWDvIstbI_2SWl2rh elaKFvszyMW3KixvpyyPc2d7seGK5YYkJ0hdKcLwL7rTPM1yoZ CE91hV9nVNS5gxP11xRj0siPolRmnDsnKelDbAENI9Hr17DxbK Z5swE77K9CmwHtSkjBfl9ADVyEdbGZfM

Perhaps you can borrow one or buy another tool that will have future uses. Add a location to your profile and perhaps someone near you has one.

Bob Wingard
06-25-2011, 10:20 PM
One possibility ... get a couple of drill bits of the required diameter ... cut one JUST long enough to get it in place while chucked up in the right-angle drill ... sharpen it (it's NOT THAT hard to learn) ... chuck it up ... drill as deep as possible. Do the same thing with the next bit, but leave it somewhat longer ... do the same routine, BUT ... put the tip IN the hole from the first bit before chucking it up. Drill to the depth as allowed by the bit. By now, you should be able to slip a full length bit into the existing hole ... chuck it up ... drill the rest of the way. Sounds like a lot of work, but it's really not that bad to do ... AND you get to learn how to properly sharpen a drill bit ... again ... it's not at all hard once you get the hang of it, and this is a perfect place to practice.

Tom Ewell
06-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Consider the use of cedar plugs as a decorative element in your design and bore anyway you need to to get the structure done.

Dave Aronson
06-25-2011, 11:10 PM
thanks for all the good advice. I'm going to see what I can get done tomorrow.

Dave Aronson
06-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Well, I went to Woodcraft today and found stubby bits that are 2.3" long from milescraft. That in my right angle drill fit with no room to spare. But it worked and the angle braces look great and add a huge amount of stability to the Pergola. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Jim Matthews
06-27-2011, 10:54 AM
So, size does matter?

Smaller, being better?

Dave Aronson
06-27-2011, 1:08 PM
So, size does matter?

Smaller, being better?

ROFL in this case yes

phil harold
06-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Timber lock or spax are the way to go
there are other brands available at hardware and big box stores

Kent A Bathurst
06-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Ya know, Dave........I'd think its about time you knuckled under and posted a photo or two on this here pergola, after all you've been through.

Just sayin................

Dave Aronson
06-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Ya know, Dave........I'd think its about time you knuckled under and posted a photo or two on this here pergola, after all you've been through.

Just sayin................

ok, tomorrow I promise

Myk Rian
06-29-2011, 6:38 AM
Ya know, Dave........I'd think its about time you knuckled under and posted a photo or two on this here pergola, after all you've been through..
Yeah. We want pichers

Dave Aronson
06-29-2011, 2:57 PM
OK, here they are:199864199865199866

Kent A Bathurst
06-29-2011, 4:31 PM
Nicely done.

Now I understand the short drill-bit question.

What's next? :D

Dave Aronson
06-29-2011, 7:28 PM
Nicely done.

Now I understand the short drill-bit question.

What's next? :D

Next is to make a light box and hang a ceiling fan. After that I'm building an outdoor kitchen. Then just relax and enjoy.

Caspar Hauser
06-29-2011, 7:35 PM
.... Then just relax and enjoy.

Good luck with that part!