PDA

View Full Version : Party at Kathy's!

Kathy Marshall
06-25-2011, 6:34 PM
This was last nights project. Got out the chainsaw and cut off a slab of mesquite to make another chip and dip bowl. Being eyeball measurements challenged, the slab I thought I cut about 4" thick turned out to be about 6 1/2" thick :eek:. When I took it to the bandsaw to cut it round I had to get out a chisel to shave a little off the top so it would fit. Needless to say, at 11 1/2" diameter and 6 1/2" thick and being green mesquite, this was a pretty heavy blank.
The initial hollowing wasn't bad, but once I got in about 3" it got a little challenging. The inner bowl kinda gets in the way especially when turning the bottom, you can put the tool rest inside but that really only works for the sides. So I finally went for my Easy Rougher with the 4 radius blade. I was able to get the inner bowl undercut and get the inside bottom turned even with 4" of overhang, then I used me Easy Finisher to smooth everything out.
10 1/2" wide 5 1/2" tall 3/8" walls (about 1/2" at the bottom) and the inner bowl is 4 1/2" wide. Just the 1st coat of walnut oil, additional coats will darken it up and even out the color. As the 1st coat gets absorbed the surface dries to a lighter color, but with more coats it should finish up to a nice color.

And of course I had to test it out! I'll need to find a smaller bowl for the center (or just use the inner bowl naked and let the stains add character). Took almost a full bag of chips to fill it!

Time to get back to the shop, daylights burning and I have another little project in mind!

Thanks for looking!
As always comments and critiques are welcome.

Bernie Weishapl
06-25-2011, 6:37 PM
Kathy that is a cool piece. I have made a lot of chip and dip platters but hadn't thought of a bowl.

David E Keller
06-25-2011, 6:39 PM
That looks great, Kathy! What time should we arrive? Can we bring anything?

I think the extra depth is a real plus for something like this... More time to mingle and less time restocking the chips!

Harvey M. Taylor
06-25-2011, 6:40 PM
My stars, that sure looks yummy. Pass the cheese pleez. Max

John Hart
06-25-2011, 7:15 PM
I was planning on having a "People who didn't get to go to the symposium" party, but nobody showed up. :rolleyes:
Guess I'll have to drive to Arizona to get some chips!!

Cool piece Ma'am. :)

Nate Davey
06-25-2011, 7:41 PM
Very nice Kathy, and that looks delicious.....functional and delicious

Michael James
06-25-2011, 8:02 PM
Great bowl! I love that mesquite!!! :) I just got off the phone with my sis, and she says it's 114 there today...only 102 here. I'm gonna have to pass cuz that's just too dang hot for me, but thanks for thinking of us!
mj

Donny Lawson
06-25-2011, 9:38 PM
I really like the way you made the bowl. I thought of one like that a while back but never got around to making it. I'm glad to see what it will look like when I get to it. Thanks for sharing.

Ed Morgano
06-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Nice job kathy. What time was the party again? I need to pack.

Tim Thiebaut
06-26-2011, 12:45 AM
What would you like me to bring?!?! Nice bowl Kathy, and you did it so fast to!! That mesquite sure is pretty wood.

Rick Markham
06-26-2011, 1:44 AM
Now that's a chips and dip bowl! That's awesome Kathy, I'm gonna have to make me one of these!

Sounds like it is time to buy a bigger bandsaw!

Doug W Swanson
06-26-2011, 7:18 AM
Party at Kathy's? Awesome! I'll bring the beer!

Nice looking bowl. I like the concept and it turned out great!

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-26-2011, 7:27 AM
Kathy,
Don't tease. By the time I read past the heading my bags were already packed and the car was gassed. Then I read about the chip and dip bowl. That's really a unique idea and had to be a bit difficult. Working the outside of the inner bowl must have been liking milking a mouse, not much room to work. When you live in PA, people travel to Arizona for the warm weather. I don't mind the cold but I will drive there one of these days just to bring home a bunch of Mesquite.
Another project well done!!
faust

Mark Hubl
06-26-2011, 1:01 PM
Very nice. Now I am getting hungry, need to see if we have some salsa and chips around here.

Kathy Marshall
06-27-2011, 12:03 AM
Kathy that is a cool piece. I have made a lot of chip and dip platters but hadn't thought of a bowl.
Thanks Bernie! I actually had a shallower bowl in mind, but the depth on this one works well!

That looks great, Kathy! What time should we arrive? Can we bring anything?

I think the extra depth is a real plus for something like this... More time to mingle and less time restocking the chips!
Thanks David! Yep, I think the depth actually works better than what I had in mind.

My stars, that sure looks yummy. Pass the cheese pleez. Max
Thank Harvey!

I was planning on having a "People who didn't get to go to the symposium" party, but nobody showed up. :rolleyes:
Guess I'll have to drive to Arizona to get some chips!!

Cool piece Ma'am. :)
That would be quite a drive for chips, but you're welcome to drop in anytime!

Very nice Kathy, and that looks delicious.....functional and delicious
Thanks Nate!

Great bowl! I love that mesquite!!! :) I just got off the phone with my sis, and she says it's 114 there today...only 102 here. I'm gonna have to pass cuz that's just too dang hot for me, but thanks for thinking of us!
mj
Thanks Michael! 112 today, but it's a dry heat lol. Crank up your oven, then stick your head inside.....that's what a dry heat feels like.

I really like the way you made the bowl. I thought of one like that a while back but never got around to making it. I'm glad to see what it will look like when I get to it. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Donny!

Nice job kathy. What time was the party again? I need to pack.
Thanks Ed! Party starts when the 1st person arrives lol.

What would you like me to bring?!?! Nice bowl Kathy, and you did it so fast to!! That mesquite sure is pretty wood.
Thanks Tim! Just bring more chips lol.

Now that's a chips and dip bowl! That's awesome Kathy, I'm gonna have to make me one of these!

Sounds like it is time to buy a bigger bandsaw!
Thanks Rick! I actually have a 4" riser kit for the bandsaw but it's stuck in a cabinet thats blocked by my jointer. The jointer was tough enough to move around when the shop was spic and span (it's kinda wedged partly behind the planer), but with all the ummm stuff on the floor now, moving it would take a herculean effort, so I guess I'll just make do for now lol.

Party at Kathy's? Awesome! I'll bring the beer!

Nice looking bowl. I like the concept and it turned out great!
Thanks Doug!

Kathy,
Don't tease. By the time I read past the heading my bags were already packed and the car was gassed. Then I read about the chip and dip bowl. That's really a unique idea and had to be a bit difficult. Working the outside of the inner bowl must have been liking milking a mouse, not much room to work. When you live in PA, people travel to Arizona for the warm weather. I don't mind the cold but I will drive there one of these days just to bring home a bunch of Mesquite.
Another project well done!!
faust
Thanks Faust! The outside of the inner bowl was a little bit tricky, but I persevered! If you ever make it down here, I'll send you home with all the mesquite you can carry!

Rick Markham
06-27-2011, 12:26 AM
Don't feel bad Kathy, all of my flatwork tools are "just in the way" too! Funny how that works.... can't bear to part with them, can't bear to use them anymore either :D

John Keeton
06-27-2011, 7:03 AM
Great work, Kathy, on a challenging turning. Beautiful color in that mesquite, too. I was able to pick up a piece of mesquite burl at AAW and I am really looking forward to turning it.

David Warkentin
06-27-2011, 7:30 PM
Hey did I miss the party? Looks great, just needs to be guacamole in that little bowl...

Don Orr
06-27-2011, 9:43 PM
Awesome Kathy!

Chris Burgess
06-28-2011, 2:52 PM
Awesome Bowl Kathy. If I was not 1000 miles away you would hear me crunching right there beside you :D. Once I get my outboard turning solution in place I hope to be able to make some larger bowls and platters and hopefully one of these. A Chip and Dip bowl is a must in the South:cool:. My only concern would by the spicy salsa eating through the wood. Better fit it for a glass bowl. Thanks for sharing.

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2011, 9:46 PM
Very nice work on this Kathy! I like the deeper bowl idea as far as form and functionally it makes sense as well. You seem to be getting these Chip & Dip bowls figured out! Nice work!

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-28-2011, 9:53 PM
Kathy,
If I ever come to AZ, I will make you the first to know. Thanks.
faust