PDA

View Full Version : father's day upgrade.......

Michael James
06-25-2011, 6:06 PM
I finally decided to mount the Delta on a more permanent lathe stand already in the garage from a mercy estate sale purchase eons ago. 2 bags of sand, and room for more. I cut and planed out any cupping in a 2 by 12 and have 4 bolts at either end, plus the four into the board to secure the lathe to stand. FWIW on a little lathe I got out my level and leveled it hor and vert.
In a quick PM to a friend from another site, he suggested the 1/2' Thompson's (U & V) when I mentioned I was headed over to Doug's for a purchase. Also went with the 16" handle. Nice and heavy with the bird shot in there.
I'm still in the middle of some wrap up work but hope to give the stand and the tools a shot tomorrow if possible.
I should be able to tackle larger pieces with more stability...we'll see!
mj

Lee Koepke
06-25-2011, 6:11 PM
Very nice. You'll like the Thompson too.

David DeCristoforo
06-25-2011, 6:14 PM
Humm... I don't know... those sand bags look kinda messy. You trying to get in on the messy shop contest?

Kathy Marshall
06-25-2011, 6:14 PM
And it's about time! That shop looks way too clean by far! Congrats and have fun making a mess!

David E Keller
06-25-2011, 6:37 PM
Congrats on the goodies, MJ! I like where you're going with those two pieces under the lathe... Now you don't have any excuse not to finish them.

John Hart
06-25-2011, 6:48 PM
If we were to put you on the couch, I suspect we would discover that this is the first baby-step toward kicking your car out of the garage!! ;)

Roger Chandler
06-25-2011, 6:50 PM
Nicely done MJ! Should help stabilize everything and make your turning a bit more pleasurable.

Jim Burr
06-25-2011, 7:03 PM
Holy crap!!! Would you please finish something and post it?!?! Great looking set up. Now get to work Brah!!!

Steve bellinger
06-25-2011, 7:54 PM
Great looking set up you have there. Like everyones saying now it's time to get them pieces done.:)

Michael James
06-25-2011, 7:56 PM
If we were to put you on the couch, I suspect we would discover that this is the first baby-step toward kicking your car out of the garage!! ;)

Good intuition there Mr Hart! The lathe came in last (which is bad sequencing) and the only rule is the car HAS to go back in. Basically, my understanding of lil missie's position on this is, if the car's out....so am I. :eek: With the kids grown and moved away, I'm pretty spoiled in this setup. I'm not sure car-no car is worth giving all my $$ to divorce attorneys and trying to find some ghetto apt I can get all my toys in......:p

David E Keller
06-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Good intuition there Mr Hart! The lathe came in last (which is bad sequencing) and the only rule is the car HAS to go back in. Basically, my understanding of lil missie's position on this is, if the car's out....so am I. :eek: With the kids grown and moved away, I'm pretty spoiled in this setup. I'm not sure car-no car is worth giving all my $$ to divorce attorneys and trying to find some ghetto apt I can get all my toys in......:p

She's bluffing!

John Hart
06-26-2011, 6:55 AM
Well, I don't want to cause any problems. Life is difficult enough. It's nice that you have your little corner where you can express yourself. :)

However....perhaps an addition to the house could provide a solution to both?

Build your wife her own garage. Just a little at a time, using materials that you have on hand. 15 minutes here and there can go a long way.

Like this fine addition could be built during those times when epoxy is curing...using materials that you find on your neighbor's tree lawn on trash day!!

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-26-2011, 7:19 AM
Hart,
You are a sick puppy! That shed if not worth the beautiful workshop you showed next to it. Actually Michael, Maybe the best tact is to put your wife's car in the garage then turn a nice dry piece of walnut. If you're lucky, you're Better Half will tell you to take the car out to keep it clean. By the way, close the windows. If the plan backfires and you end up having to remove the dust, at least you will limit your work to the exterior.
Meanwhile, good bench and nice partially finished hollow forms.
faust