PDA

View Full Version : Blame it on Richard

Mark Hubl
06-25-2011, 4:55 PM
Well, after reading Richard Madden's tutorial on his finial making technique I was sucked in. I have not tried one of these since my initial feeble attempt. So off I went, into the twisted finial vortex. A little maple experiment. Got a little thin in a couple of spots but I am getting it. Caution, these are addictive.

Rick Markham
06-25-2011, 5:31 PM
Fantastic Mark! I like how you reversed the spiral on the tip, nice touch! I've neglected reading the article, I know I am going to be trying this after I do.

Russell Eaton
06-25-2011, 5:49 PM
Very cool, nice touch on the tip. How long did it take?

Tim Thiebaut
06-25-2011, 6:29 PM
Very nice, you did a good job on this. I dont think I have the patience for that at this point...maybe someday but not right now.

David E Keller
06-25-2011, 6:32 PM
Looks good to me! I've never tried one of these, but I've conceptually struggled with how to cleanly end the spirals at the top and bottom... You've done well with that. I love the little reverse twist at the top, too.

John Hart
06-25-2011, 7:17 PM
Wow...your execution on this is great!! I know I don't possess the patience for it. I will never try.

....unless I change my mind :)

Nice job Mark!

Richard Madden
06-25-2011, 11:13 PM
Holy cow, that's cool!! 6 bines with a reversed twist on top...very nice. I hope you keep going with these, they are fun, and as far as your "addiction", I don't feel any guilt. After all, your first one
pushed me over the edge. Call it payback. Have fun and keep showing us your results.

Mark Hubl
06-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks folks. These are a fun challenge and RM's tutorial is a good place to jump in from.

ow long did it take?
Too long. I probably have over 6 hours in this. But it really is the first one to make it this far. A couple of others gave up the ghost rather quickly. I would hope to half that time after the next couple. I really spent time developing some techniques and learning what tools worked best for me.

as far as your "addiction", I don't feel any guilt.
Spoken like a true mentor, ok, payback it is.

Jim Burr
06-26-2011, 1:46 PM
That is a great job Mark! I can't sit still for 6 hours...I'll just wait for you guys to post!

Richard Madden
06-27-2011, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=Mark Hubl;1729520]Thanks folks. These are a fun challenge and RM's tutorial is a good place to jump in from.

Too long. I probably have over 6 hours in this. But it really is the first one to make it this far. A couple of others gave up the ghost rather quickly. I would hope to half that time after the next couple. I really spent time developing some techniques and learning what tools worked best for me.

I have no idea how long the first few took me... probably more than 6 hours, but they will go faster. And as you say, developing some techniques and the best tools to use will speed things up.
I think Stuart Mortimer now uses a 50mm Arbotec cutter instead of drilling holes. I'd like to try that way, since I've heard Stuart can complete a finial in demonstrations in 45 min.!!!!