PDA

View Full Version : Stack dado blades

Jeffery L Smith
06-25-2011, 4:20 PM
Looking to buy 8" dado blades for my craftman 1 1/2 hp tablesaw . want to spend $100 to $125 dollars. I like the freud sd208 and the delta 7670. Eny help appreciated. thanks

Jerome Stanek
06-25-2011, 4:44 PM
be care full using them I needed 11 stitches from a kick back using a set.

Jeffery L Smith
06-25-2011, 5:02 PM
They can get you.

Cary Falk
06-25-2011, 5:16 PM
I have the Delta and am very happy with it.

Gene Howe
06-25-2011, 5:16 PM
My 8" set is from Tenryu. Excellent dado set.
Although, I wonder at the wisdom of an 8" instead of 6". After using mine, I don't see any advantage over a 6".
Do you have a special reason for wanting an 8"?

Mike Heidrick
06-25-2011, 5:34 PM
SD208 works good. If you have a Farm and Fleet close they go on sale their regularly.

scott spencer
06-25-2011, 5:48 PM
Looking to buy 8" dado blades for my craftman 1 1/2 hp tablesaw . want to spend $100 to $125 dollars. I like the freud sd208 and the delta 7670. Eny help appreciated. thanks

I've owned both, and think both are good, but the 7670 cuts cleaner IME. It also has a great carrying case and nice shim stock that's stamped with the thickness on each shim.

Greg Hines, MD
06-25-2011, 6:10 PM
I have the Freud, and while I have not used it very much, it is rock solid and a fine piece of work, significantly better than my old set up.

glenn bradley
06-25-2011, 6:50 PM
I have the SD-508 and like it very much. Given the performance jump with the higher tooth-count on the outer plates, I would pick the Delta from the two you mention. Scott has a pretty keen eye and I notice he prefers the Delta as well. Cool case too. As to 6" dado stacks, they are fine if you don't do deep cuts; I do. If you will mostly be doing dados for shelves and such, a 6" should do fine.

Gordon Eyre
06-25-2011, 8:22 PM
Woodworkers Journal tested many of the current list of stacked dado blades and gave top marks to Amana, Freud and Infinity when all things were considered (including price). The Forrest dado king would come out on top if price were no object; however, it sells for close to $300 where the others are closer to $200. I do own the Forrest set and have nothing but praise for it.

Jeffery L Smith
06-25-2011, 9:31 PM
I have a cheap 6" set thought i would like the 8" better. The delta only comes in 8" as for as i can tell.

Bruce Wrenn
06-25-2011, 9:43 PM
I own several dado sets. (Freud SD 208, Freud Safety dado, Freud dial a width dado, Forrest Dado King) The 208 gets the most use.

Chip Lindley
06-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Freud's SD208 has only 12 teeth on the outside plates. SD508 has 24 teeth. More teeth take a smaller bite and self feeding or kickback is less likely. I bought SD508 used off eBay for around $100. It has served me very well for the small amount of dado work I need to do on TS or RAS with 5/8" arbor.

Tom Ewell
06-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Oshlun sets are highly regarded for their performance and value by many and has become my primary set over a venerable Freud DS 308 set that I picked up in the late 80's

My Freud 208 set gets used for "rough stuff" like deck furnishings.

http://www.oshlun.com/stack_dado_sets.html

Bobby O'Neal
06-25-2011, 11:17 PM
I've got an Oshlun and love it. 40 tooth count on the blades with full 8" chippers that have 6 teeth. Flat bottomed, square cuts every time. I'm running it on a 2hp Craftsman and it has plenty of power. Tough to beat for 80 bones.

Dave Cav
06-25-2011, 11:31 PM
Oshlun sets are highly regarded for their performance and value by many and has become my primary set over a venerable Freud DS 308 set that I picked up in the late 80's

My Freud 208 set gets used for "rough stuff" like deck furnishings.

http://www.oshlun.com/stack_dado_sets.html

My experience exactly. I got a Freud 208 from Home Depot and it's OK, but for furniture work I use the Oshlun. I have a number of Oshlun blades and they are all good blades, especially considering the cost.

David Kumm
06-25-2011, 11:49 PM
If you watch used you can find nearly or new freud or forrest in the $125 to $250 range. Dados are usually not used much so the odds of finding a good one are high. I bought several that way and they are as good s new. I use them for cutting tenons and bridle joints on a shaper so I have a bunch. Dave

Rich Engelhardt
06-26-2011, 8:00 AM
I've got the Freud SD208.
I'm pretty happy with it.

I do plan on picking up one of the Oshlun sets though. My Freud isn't always real good at leaving a nice flat bottom.

Jeffery L Smith
06-26-2011, 2:06 PM
I have bid on a freud sd506 on ebay. Hope to get it but i like the delta 7670 Thanks guys for all the help. I'm new to posting hope i'm doing this right.

Kent A Bathurst
06-26-2011, 2:30 PM
You're doing fine, Jeffery L. Don't use cusswords, don't bash a vendor until after your attempts to work their resolution systems have failed, and never start a Sawstop thread :D, and life is easy around here.

I gotta agree with Gordon re: Forrest. My dado king set is > 10 years old. Forrest has sharpened them a half-dozen times. I have no experience with any other brand, because every Forrest blade has done such a great job - I'm not objective. But, I prefer the "cry once" approach to tools and stuff, and when I find safe harbor somewhere, I always run to that place. There's enough stuff I learn - and screw up - on a daily basis, that I don't want to spend time screwing up stuff I already figured out.

I am sure there are other solid products out there. Find something you like, and have fun.

I don't "get" the posts about kickback on a dado set, though. That's about the safest thing I do, or can think of doing, on the TS. Hold it down, and push it through. To create kickback with a straight board or ply piece must require not holding it down, or having the fence misaligned with the blade, I guess.

Greg Peterson
06-26-2011, 2:32 PM
I am very happy with the Oshlun dado set. Perhaps the high end sets are much better, but I think the Oshlun set packs a lot of performance for the dollar. I don't doubt that a three hundred dollar dado set is as near perfect as possible, but I feel the Oshlun set gets me as close to perfect as I need to get.