PDA

View Full Version : Got a little shop time today

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Got to get a little time in the shop and needed to make some give-backs, thank-yous, and a gift.

The first two pictures are of a giveback. Some friends gave me two big chunks of wood they thought might be Walnut, however it turned out to be Cedar.

http://www.spaltedboard.com/images/uploads/Cedar_Goblet_1.JPG

http://www.spaltedboard.com/images/uploads/Cedar_Goblet_2.JPG

This is of three Cherry pens I'm sending to three gentlemen who donated items we will be able to auction off with the proceeds going to Central Illinois Childrens Hospital.

http://www.spaltedboard.com/images/uploads/Three_Cherry_Gift_Pens.jpg

The final Picture is my first try at a no band slimline. I have a sister-in-law in Philly who is involved with opening a deli/ lunchroom at the V.A. Center. The name of the Deli is "The Purpleheart Cafe'" so I thought this pen was appropriate.

http://www.spaltedboard.com/images/uploads/Purpleheart_pen_for_Cathy.jpg

Hope they all like them and thanks for lookin',

Bruce ;)

Dawn Sunkle
02-13-2005, 9:51 AM
Bruce, Your work is stunning. I know your friends will love the gifts.
Dawn

Dick Parr
02-13-2005, 10:11 AM
Very nice Bruce. I have only turned one piece of cedar but it was fun. :)

Jim Becker
02-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Nice job, Bruce. Cedar always has an interesting character about it in turnings. I really did laugh, however, when you said that the folks thought the cedar was walnut!! ;)

Michael Stafford
02-13-2005, 11:32 AM
Very nice, Bruce! :) Also nice of you to contribute to the charity auction! :)

Jim Dunn
02-13-2005, 5:51 PM
Bruce,
I like your pen and the goblet also. But I have a question and it regards your method of posting pictures. How is it you can post without your post indicating that there are pictures included? It seems to me that you would want people to know that pics are attached. I'm sure that you want people to look at your work as it is very nice, but there isn't any indication that there are pics without opening the thread.

Jim

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-13-2005, 11:04 PM
Interesting point, Jim. This is the first time I posted to multiple sites, copying my original post. When I pasted it here, it accepted the whole post, includung pictures.

I don't normally say anything about pictures. Since thare are "Picture Police" at almost every site, I always include pictures in my post. I also felt that, when I stated that "I got some shop time", turners woud realize that it meant turning something.

Not meaning to be egotistical or anything, but there have already been 133 views of this post, so I don't see a problem with getting people to look.

Bruce ;)

Jim Dunn
02-14-2005, 7:13 AM
Bruce,
I agree, but I seem to look at those posts first that have that little paper clip thinggy attached. Then I look at the rest of the posts.
It is nice to have presented a post with pictures, or without, that garners a lot of responce and views.
Jim

Jim Becker
02-14-2005, 9:02 AM
The pictures in Bruce's original post have links to pictures that are hosted at another site. Since they are not attachments to SMC, they will not trigger the "paper clip" on the thread listing. Folks who post pics this way should consider tagging the thread title with something like "(pics)". But do remember, if you link to a photo it will not be archived at SMC and should the remote site go down or the picture get removed, it will no longer be displayed in the thread for folks looking back to previous material in the forums.

Bruce...nice work!

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-14-2005, 6:36 PM
As I said earlier, This is the first time I ended up posting the pictures with the text. I didn't do it on purpose, they showed up when I posted the text.

One thing I would say is that I like the ability to show pictures with text directly above or below the picture. It seems to make more sense to me than having all the pictures at the end. My memory is not that good, I have to keep going back and forth from text to pictures and back.

With Jim's information about the pictures disappearing, I guess I will be posting them with the paperclip, for this site.

Bruce