PDA

View Full Version : Making an eight sided veneered tray

Mike Henderson
06-25-2011, 3:47 PM
My tutorial on the rectangular tray didn't seem to stir a whole lot of interest but I'll post this one anyway.

This is a tutorial (http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/EightSidedTray.htm)on how to make an eight sided serving tray with a sunburst of walnut burl and a back with a sunburst of walnut. It's significantly more complex than the rectangular tray and should not be attempted as a first veneering project.

I haven't added the part about making the sides yet but will next week.

Mike

Philip Duffy
06-26-2011, 5:19 AM
Mike, Incredible achievement! Such precision - - it takes a special set of skills and determination to create such a beautiful piece of work. BZ! - - -any chance there is a link missing at the end where the backing is done but the ---"continues ________ has no "here" word? Phil

Carroll Courtney
06-26-2011, 8:20 AM
Mike,thanks for continuing to post turtorials on how to accomplish such task that seems to be out of reach for most.Your able to take these task,break it down to where I can understand.Its because of you that I read over and over your turtorial on carving the 5 leaf flower which I incorporated into this rocking chair for the daughter, and new to me grandson.I visit your website often for some inspiration and alittle day dreaming.Mike,its craftsmen like yourself that makes Sawmill Creek educational and a success.Your post always generate interest,and Creeker's if you have never visited Mikes website just check it out.http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/mikes_projects.htm
So keep the turtorials coming and thanks----Carroll

Mike Henderson
06-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Mike, Incredible achievement! Such precision - - it takes a special set of skills and determination to create such a beautiful piece of work. BZ! - - -any chance there is a link missing at the end where the backing is done but the ---"continues ________ has no "here" word? Phil
Yep, I haven't finished it yet. I should get the rest done this week. Stay tuned...

Mike

Mike Henderson
06-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Mike,thanks for continuing to post turtorials on how to accomplish such task that seems to be out of reach for most.You're able to take these task,break it down to where I can understand.Its because of you that I read over and over your turtorial on carving the 5 leaf flower which I incorporated into this rocking chair for the daughter, and new to me grandson.I visit your website often for some inspiration and alittle day dreaming.Mike,its craftsmen like yourself that makes Sawmill Creek educational and a success.Your post always generate interest,and Creeker's if you have never visited Mikes website just check it out.http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/mikes_projects.htm
So keep the turtorials coming and thanks----Carroll
Thanks for the kind words, Carroll. Nice flower carving. How about showing the whole chair? Or did I miss your posting about it?

Mike

Ben Rivenbark
06-26-2011, 4:54 PM
Mike, I don't comment often, but I've read every page on your site and really admire your work. I've enjoyed all of your tutorials, and take your shop as example of the fact that I don't need a gigantic shop to be able to put out fantastic work. Thank your for your time and documentation of your work; for me personally it is inspirational and has given me a much better understanding of veneer work :)

gary Zimmel
06-26-2011, 7:25 PM
Real nice tutorial Mike. Thanks for taking the time.

Karl Card
06-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Mike I am kind of speechless. That one round table that appears to be a burl is just gorgeous. It is funny that when I was younger I loved to look at expensive cars. The Jaguars in the 70's really caught my eye, well, back then I had no ideal of what burled wood was. I just knew it was the trim work in a Jag and was pretty...

Mike Henderson
06-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Mike I am kind of speechless. That one round table that appears to be a burl is just gorgeous. It is funny that when I was younger I loved to look at expensive cars. The Jaguars in the 70's really caught my eye, well, back then I had no ideal of what burled wood was. I just knew it was the trim work in a Jag and was pretty...
Thanks, Carl. That round table is waterfall bubinga laid in a 16 segment sunburst (it's on my web site, not in the tutorial). That one was pretty hard because I couldn't use water based glue - the bubinga would absorb the water and expand. And since there's more wood around the outside than on the inside, it becomes impossible to lay once it gets wet. So I had to use a non-water-based glue.

Then, the problem is that bubinga is porous so the glue will come through if you use too much. Of course, if you use too little, the veneer is not glued down. So a tough job. I actually failed the first time I laid it and had to buy more bubinga to do it a second time. But the second time it came out well.

Mike

Bob Riefer
06-27-2011, 1:56 PM
Wow, thank you for the tutorial. I haven't even finished my first adirondack chair yet, so I really had no idea about this type of process. I find your writing and tutorial style to be very easy to understand and follow. Thank you for taking the time (and holy cow, nice work that you do!)

Mike Henderson
07-08-2011, 8:24 PM
I finally finished the rest of the tutorial, which consists mostly of how to make the sides of the tray. You can pick up the tutorial where you left off, here (http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/EightSidedTray5.htm), which is first new page, or go back to the beginning by clicking here (http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/EightSidedTray.htm).

This is not a beginning veneer project but it may be of interest to those who work with veneer. I think the jig for cutting the biscuit slots is a nice feature.

Mike

richard poitras
07-11-2011, 8:25 AM
My tutorial on the rectangular tray didn't seem to stir a whole lot of interest but I'll post this one anyway.

Mike

Mike I found it very interesting keep them coming!

Thanks Richard