PDA

View Full Version : Turners choice

robert raess
06-25-2011, 2:48 PM
As a turner would you recommend the Grex R.O. sander for $100 or the mini R.O. by harbor freight.If you have either one i'd app. you're feedback.Also whats the best price on the Grex. Thanks Rob

Fred Belknap
06-25-2011, 6:01 PM
Rob I have the Grex and it works, however it is noisy, takes a lot of air "read air compressor runs a lot", it is to fast and will throw the soft pad extension off. I use a corless drill and I like it better. The Grex seems to work better with the pressure turned down to about 45psi.

Alan Zenreich
06-25-2011, 10:14 PM
I have both the Harbor Freight sander and later got the Grex.
I prefer the Grex and run it using a HF 8 gallon compressor.
Also, I loosened the screw adjustment on the Grex, that slows it down considerably.

Robert McGowen
06-26-2011, 2:04 PM
I have the Grex and use it on a 26 gallon compressor with no problems at all. Like Alan said, there is a screw on the side of the Grex that adjusts the air and therefore the speed. Got mine off of Amazon. I mostly use it to finish off the bottoms of turnings.

Jim Burr
06-26-2011, 2:08 PM
I have a Mutabo 3" electric ROS that I'm very fond of. Might be work looking into.

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-26-2011, 9:05 PM
I have the Chicago Pneumatic sander with 2" and 3" pads. I also have a close quarters drill. The pneumatic sander leaves marks if I use it with the lathe turning. I use the drill to sand with the lathe and keep the pneumatic sander when I am holding the bowl in my lap.
faust