PDA

View Full Version : Small Pear HF

David E Keller
06-25-2011, 1:58 PM
This is another piece of that Bradford pear that a friend brought by... It's darker with quite a bit more character than the usual pear around here.

Anyway, this little form is about 4 or 5 inches across and finished with BLO only. I kind of like the matte look on this one, but I'll probably buff it a bit at some point.

Comments, criticism, and suggestions always appreciated.

Dane Fuller
06-25-2011, 2:14 PM
Very nice David.

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-25-2011, 2:19 PM
Nice, Doc. That Brad pear has a bit of character and a lot of color. Our Bradford Pear in PA is bleached white looking with almost no grain but is a pleasure to turn. I like the form. I believe this one probably felt easy to turn after the "Round and Red". I also like the matte finish that BLO gives.
faust

John Hart
06-25-2011, 3:04 PM
The character of the wood reminds me of a cow that's outside my window now.

...ya know....not that your hollow form looks like a cow.....just the color....and the matte look....maybe the shape...

No wait....not the shape. Just the color and the matte finish.

Sheesh.

Shuttin' up.:o

Mark Hubl
06-25-2011, 3:06 PM
Your shapes are always spot on David. That pear is really nice looking. Has a leathery sort of vibe. Cool stuff.

Michael James
06-25-2011, 5:56 PM
Really nice.... now I get Hart's cow (hide) reference....!
Form looks perfect as always and I like the buckskin quality of the finish too!
mj

Kathy Marshall
06-25-2011, 6:05 PM
Very nice David! Really pretty wood, your form looks great and your curves are perfect! I also like the matte finish, I think it works.

Michelle Rich
06-26-2011, 6:06 AM
the light "splotch" is interesting as it is opposite of lower darker, with the nice "buckskin" in between.. very pleasing

Toney Robertson
06-26-2011, 7:41 AM
Nice form and some pretty wood but I agree with your thought of buffing. Maybe not to a high shine but I think a little shine would enhance the piece.

John Keeton
06-26-2011, 7:55 AM
Excellent form, David and I do like the color! Hard to say on the finish without holding it.

Jim Burr
06-26-2011, 8:03 AM
Not to bad for fruitwood doc! The form is one of my favorites! The color change is really cool!

Curt Fuller
06-26-2011, 10:16 AM
Nice pair of pears. This one is just as just as pretty as the other, maybe with a more refined look. That's really some good looking wood and I'd probably want to keep that matte look.

Stephen Walker
06-27-2011, 5:57 AM
Looks like a Guernsey to me.
I like the matte finish. It gives it a soft look, like it would make you want to pick it up to see if it was. Nice job.
Think I'll try to enroll in the "Keller School of Hollowing".

Ed Morgano
06-27-2011, 1:40 PM
David,
Everytime I see one of your HF's it make me want to get setup for them. I'm close with my articulated arm but still need to make some bent tools and probably a lot of practice and scraps. Nice job.

Tim Rinehart
06-27-2011, 2:50 PM
That really didn't sound right...but it was well intended. I gave a demo last week for one of our clubs on hollowing and talked about using sapwood as a focal point at top especially...wish I had been able to snag a copy of this ahead of time, you really did a super job with both pieces, and as said, the form is excellent. It does have a sort of leathery look, and with the cow spot reference, may just be an Oklahoma thing...which makes it kinda authentic for your region. Makes me wonder if this wouldn't be a good selling with that sort of theme out where you are?? Very nice, I like it.