PDA

View Full Version : Nova DVR XP remote switch is here

Bill Bolen
06-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Finallllly a remote switch for DVR XP owners. Go to the Nova site and open the new 2011 catalog. Looks like it can be worn as a wrist watch or attached to lathe with a magnet. I was surprised at the $100 price. I figured they would want 3 or more. New 2024 looks nice to boot + the return of the Comet mini.:D

Michael Ginsberg
06-25-2011, 2:01 PM
Finallllly a remote switch for DVR XP owners. Go to the Nova site and open the new 2011 catalog. Looks like it can be worn as a wrist watch or attached to lathe with a magnet. I was surprised at the $100 price. I figured they would want 3 or more. New 2024 looks nice to boot + the return of the Comet mini.:D

Bill, Can you PLEASE provide me a link to that catolog. I cannot find it. Do you know if that remote will work with my Nova 1624?
Thank you.

Mark Hubl
06-25-2011, 2:24 PM
Michael,

This switch works pretty well on the 1624. Can be bought from grizzly. Add an extension cord and a couple of jumpers and you have a remote solution. Takes a few minutes. I believe one trade off is the disabling of a secondary switch off from the motor. I think it is a thermal switch.

If you go to the Teknatool site, then woodworking section, upper left menu is a "catalogue" selection. The catalog is there in PDF format. I am guessing this is not a retrofit for the 1624.

Michael Ginsberg
06-25-2011, 2:44 PM
Thanks Mark

John McCaskill
06-25-2011, 4:19 PM
I saw that, looks nice. But how do you "upgrade" an existing DVR XP to work with the new wireless remote?

Bill Bolen
06-25-2011, 8:21 PM
John, it sounded to me as if there is and internal electronic gizmo that gets plugged into the switcth board?

Jason Silva
06-25-2011, 9:37 PM
Give that a try. The new 20" lathe is in there.

http://www.teknatool.com/products/catalogue/10182_Nova%20Catalog%20USA_2011_web.pdf

Alan Zenreich
06-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Bill,

That seems likely... question is what's the cost of "remote enabling" the motor... or is that part of the remote purchase price.
We're also assuming that existing lathes can be retrofitted.

It would be great if we can.

I wonder if some of our intrepid SMC reporters at the symposium can get some answers from the Teknatool folk in the exhibit hall.

Alan Zenreich
06-25-2011, 10:24 PM
I just noticed that they have a web page announcing it

http://www.teknatool.com/products/lathe_accessories/Remote/NOVA_Remote.htm

That page shows that it comes with an interface/receiver for the DVR circuit board

So it looks like this will work for any Nova DVR lathe... coo!

Alan Trout
06-26-2011, 12:13 AM
I got to play with it at the show today. It can be worn or has a magnet. It will ramp the speed up and down and off and on. It is a really cool switch at a very reasonable price. I was told that is should work on most of the DVR's but if you have one that is older they will send you an upgrade front panel for no charge.

Alan

Ralph Lindberg
06-26-2011, 11:07 AM
As Ive noted on a couple of other forums.... This remote operates on the same band as WIFI, so it is possible that a good WIFI sniffer program can capture the data-stream being sent from the remote to the lathe. Then a good Geek should be able to write a program that emulates this remote.

Result would be a DVR remote program that could operate from a PC, or, well, if written in Java or such, any smart device