PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm...A Low Angle Jack And 5.5?

Frank Carnevale
06-25-2011, 8:50 AM
Hello guys and gals. So I finished my basement and I am in the middle of moving all my stuff down there. I didnt even realize I have Low Angle Jack AND a 5.5 Jack. They are both LNs. So I got to thinking, how much do I actually work in the shop to justify both planes? Both ended up Christmas presents to myself! :) So, if you were me, would you keep both or would you sell one? If you would sell one, which would you choose? My building is basically some wall cabinet/shelves, jewelry boxes, and other items like that. I am not chopping down trees so most of the wood has already been well processed. And the woods I use? your typical woods, cherrys, walnuts, maples, mahoganies. Maybe someday venture into some more figured/exotic stuff.

The rest of my tools are: A LN No. 4, LN large Router, LV Plow on the way, LN tongue and Groove, LN No. 8 and of course, the low angle jack and the 5.5.

Any thoughts? I thought about making a nice storage rack for them (it would like nice with all of them) but trying to simplify things :) Its not about raising funds for something else (unless you have an opinion...haha), just simplifying.

So sorry for the rambling and the crazy talk but just looking for some thoughts

Brian Kent
06-25-2011, 11:02 AM
I would sell the 5.5 and buy a shoulder plane and a block plane.

Jim Koepke
06-25-2011, 12:41 PM
My LA Jack is mostly used for shooting end grain.

The 5-1/2 Is a good mid-sized plane that is a good short jointer for small things.

If you do not need to sell it, give it some time in the shop. Then if it is never used, then sell it.

I do agree with the idea of acquiring a block plane.

jtk

Frank Carnevale
06-25-2011, 1:02 PM
I always forget the block. I do have an adjustable block plane but was thinking over a shoulder plane (will put that on teh christmas list later this year for the little lady to surprise me :)

Archie England
06-25-2011, 2:55 PM
Wait, wait...!

Since there's no fore plane in your list, the 5.5 ought to be a keeper. Plus, it can be a great shooting board plane. For me, it's the fore planes that really are my first "go-to" planes. You've got quite an impressive stable. Congrats.

Frank Carnevale
06-25-2011, 5:27 PM
Thanks Archie. I had a bunch of user/beater Stanleys then over the last two christmas seasons I asked the family and the little lady for gift cards to LN or Craftsman Studio. Plus picked up a plane or two here with the cash from the sale of the stanleys.

Wait, wait...!

Since there's no fore plane in your list, the 5.5 ought to be a keeper. Plus, it can be a great shooting board plane. For me, it's the fore planes that really are my first "go-to" planes. You've got quite an impressive stable. Congrats.