Latetly I have been have more and more inconsitancy in product quality
and specifications.

Here is my last issue.

I switched from buying these pen cases from Laser Bits as when I needed
them they were always back ordered.

I found Penn States Inds had them and at a better price. (LB $5.69
PSI $4.25) I started ordering from them. The last order was suddenly
different than the previous ones I have been ordering, about 1/3 less
engraving space. (see photo, on left prev on right recent)

Anyone know other vendors selling these pen cases?

Quality customer service is driving me crazy lately.

I have been having issues with my cell phone, I call up my provider,
he asks for my number and calls me, my phone rings so his response
was it rang it seems fine too me! :eek:

ARRRGGGGGG!!!!!!

Emma austin
06-24-2011, 7:36 PM
Can't help sorry but that is annoying! They are nice pen boxes, I had been looking at them on laserbits. I wonder if Lasrbits now has the smaller size instead

Martin Boekers
06-24-2011, 7:43 PM
I guess the problem lies that they order these from another country
through an agent that is given "general" specifics. One time the agent
orders from one factory and one time he orders from a different factory.

I have had this with a fair amount of products through the years and it is
really frustrating.

The bulk of my business is awards, qtr and annual for over 300 units and organizations.
So they (and I) expect the same product each time unless other wise notified.

So now I am scrambling a bit as we are starting our 2nd qtr awards :-(

Just been a frustrating couple days!

I sell a few hundred of these a year so time to find a conistant supplier...

Rodne Gold
06-24-2011, 9:38 PM
Perhaps it's time for you to do your own importing from aforementioned other country? Especially if you use a few 100 of a product - you will find it imminently worth your while in many respects, stockholding , consistency and will almost be guaranteed to find it EXCEEDINGLY profitable...who knows , maybe you can also become a supplier? The best moves I have made in my business have always been when suppliers start jerking me around and I have then bypassed em and have gone to source.

Chuck Stone
06-24-2011, 9:39 PM
I know there are some PSI resellers out there (woodturningz comes to mind)
and they may have some in stock. Woodnwhimsies is another reseller.

Martin Boekers
06-24-2011, 9:49 PM
I know there are some PSI resellers out there (woodturningz comes to mind)
and they may have some in stock. Woodnwhimsies is another reseller.

Thanks, I hadn't thought about the resellers, cost a bit more but will get me out of a bind!

The problem lies that when a company such as PSI places an order with their agent
evidentlly the latitude on the product they resieve can very considerably.

That just seems strange to me but that's the way it was explained.

Rodne Gold
06-24-2011, 10:06 PM
That is rubbish , there is no such lattitude in terms of production unless you have implemented no QC at all or are sourcing from the cheapest mnfgr and dont care about what they supply , that answer is a cop out....

Martin Boekers
06-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Rodne, I know your onto something. Right now I'm so busy at the shop it's hard to get a focus on expanding in that area.

I have 2 new hires on board with limited experience and teaching the aspects will take time. I have a handful of new products I'm
starting to promote, I have started a newsletter that I sending to other Air Force Bases on engraving tech, ideas and products.
I have photographed our inventoried product line need to finish the final layout then I can print and bind catalogs on demand right in shop. Yes, there is a call for that here!
I started an awards program for a unit in Afgahanistan and last week sent their first set out. I do get a bit ragged at times, so I do get frustrated when suppliers don't understand my concerns.

PSI said no one ever engraves these cases!!!
I emailed them back and said you are missing a LARGE market and explained what we do, probably won't here back from them.

This year is shaping up to be the best in my 5 years managing this shop. Someday I may venture in that territory. I may need a guide when that happens...hint hint

You advice is well taken!

Martin Boekers
06-24-2011, 10:16 PM
That is rubbish , there is no such lattitude in terms of production unless you have implemented no QC at all or are sourcing from the cheapest mnfgr and dont care about what they supply , that answer is a cop out....

The cases are nice don't get me wrong on that. PSI evidently focuses on penturners so their issues are different than ours. They don't
go through volumes and structured repeat business like we do and if one is different from the next so be it as long as it looks nice.
These guys (PSI) are missing a whole market, evidently that they aren't aware of. Or they do it through resellers.

I strongly agree with you, if I buy items I expect them to be made exactly the way I want them. I don't understand why some companies
settle for less.

Chuck Stone
06-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Martin, it sounds like you got one of those reps who talks out his butt.
People have been engraving their boxes for years, they know this. I order
30 or 40 at a time and engrave them. Nothing new there.
Inconsistent product sounds to me like they changed their supplier
in China, probably got a lower price.

ps .. their resellers are often less expensive .. and more responsive.

Martin Boekers
06-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Chuck,

Thanks for the idea about rellers I will call them Monday and see what they got.

Time to get back to work or I never will get outta here!

Mike Null
06-25-2011, 5:12 AM
Martin

I think you may be underestimating PSI. I guarantee you they have sold 100's of thousands of pen boxes and they know who they're selling to. I suspect you were talking to somebody who wasn't aware of the situation.

Nevertheless, your point is well taken. Changes do occur without notice on imported items and I have noticed that on pen boxes for some time. At least the quality on those seems to be consistent. The quality has steadily gone backwards on the standard bubinga (rosewood) boxes.