PDA

View Full Version : Just a Wee Gloat! (I think)

Belinda Barfield
06-24-2011, 10:09 AM
For over a year a friend has been telling us there was an old "saw" in his mom's garage that he wanted us to pick up and get out of his way. So this morning we did. Look what we got for FREEEeee! I still have a lot of cleaning and rehab to do, but all in all a pretty good haul. We couldn't fit the mini scroll saw in the truck so that's one for the next trip.

There's also a shop building that's locked. As soon has he finds the key I get whatever is in there, too! Can't wait . .

Ed Morgano
06-24-2011, 10:14 AM
That is more than a "pretty good" haul. A lot of work but you have some nice things there....well worth the effort. Congrats!

Paul Douglass
06-24-2011, 10:26 AM
What is this thing in the picture?

Roger Chandler
06-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Belinda,

Looks like some restoration work is in your future.............I think these do have some potential..........for a small space the shop smith can be a versatile tool for someone..............good luck!

Belinda Barfield
06-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Paul, you're probably asking the wrong person, but I'll take a stab at it. It is a small plane that swivels. That's my best guess.

Belinda Barfield
06-24-2011, 10:42 AM
I think one of the first things I should do once everything is cleaned up, etc., is find someone to finish the piece Pops was working on and give it to our friend, Big Mike. I'm guessing Pops had Mike in mind when he started it.

Jim Underwood
06-24-2011, 10:54 AM
That's quite the gloat Belinda.

Looks like a chuck or two under that pile of tools...

And was that a drawing board arm I saw under there?

Don't throw any weird looking things away. Could be they fit that ShopSmith. That thing has more attachments than Carter has peanuts... I turned a coupla things on my Dad's ShopSmith last summer, and found all kinds of things for it in the drawers....

Belinda Barfield
06-24-2011, 11:06 AM
That's quite the gloat Belinda.

Looks like a chuck or two under that pile of tools...

And was that a drawing board arm I saw under there?

Don't throw any weird looking things away. Could be they fit that ShopSmith. That thing has more attachments than Carter has peanuts... I turned a coupla things on my Dad's ShopSmith last summer, and found all kinds of things for it in the drawers....

Yep, that's a drawing board arm. I also got a box full of packs of mechanical pencil leads, erasers, grease pencils, Exacto knives. I'm telling you, it's better than Christmas around here. Pops was an engineer. I also have, in the original sleeve envelope, a "slide rule calculator".

Fortunately for me, one of my shop guys is very familiar with the ShopSmith.

Pops lost an arm in an accident so everything in his shop was set up so that he could operate one armed.

Jim Underwood
06-24-2011, 11:11 AM
Well our father's had something in common then... My Dad lost a leg because of a failed artery bypass, so he used a prothsesis and crutched around in his blacksmith shop, until recently when he had a stroke and doesn't get out much anymore. Unfortunately, his shop is a few thousand miles away... too far to pick up any tools...

George Guadiane
06-24-2011, 11:19 AM
That item is called a Box Scraper. Stanley/Baley made some, along with others. They were intended to take rough edges off of packing crates.

Belinda Barfield
06-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the info George. Why does it swivel?

John Hart
06-24-2011, 11:28 AM
I like the box scraper a lot!! And the lathe. What a fun project.

Oh...and I like this hollowing tool

This tool proves that the owner is just like me :)

Great score Belinda!! You rock!:)

John Hart
06-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Oh...and I'm jealous of the clamps.

Clamp envy :)

Belinda Barfield
06-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Thanks John! It's all your fault, you know. Remember when I was lurking around and you suggested that the turners feed the stray and maybe I'd get a lathe? Well, I guess I did.

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Belinda,
They look like old Stanley or Millers Falls Scrapers. They are used in a pulling action. I own a couple from who knows where but never attempted to use them. I believe they will make great decoration in your shop.
faust

Belinda Barfield
06-24-2011, 11:37 AM
I walked out to the shop a few minutes ago and two of the guys were going through the pile of goodies and trying to figure out what we actually have for the ShopSmith. So far they are most excited about the horizontal drill press capability.

Tim Thiebaut
06-24-2011, 11:40 AM
That is a nice gloat Belinda, congrats on this, hope you all have a lot of fun with these!

John Hart
06-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Thanks John! It's all your fault, you know. Remember when I was lurking around and you suggested that the turners feed the stray and maybe I'd get a lathe? Well, I guess I did.

Heeeere kitty kitty kitty. I gots a yummy for ya. It's a 3/8ths bowl gouge......mmmmmmm....c'mon now....heeeere kitty kitty :)

Belinda Barfield
06-24-2011, 12:08 PM
I just discovered I also got a Zyliss vice. Apparently that's pretty a big deal.

David E Keller
06-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Looks like an interesting haul... It'll be nice to see that stuff all layed out and derusted. I'd send the whole pile to David DeCristoforo for clean up... He does great work!

Mike Cruz
06-24-2011, 1:50 PM
Belinda, congrats on your haul. Lots of great things hidden in there, I'm sure. And welcome to the world of turning. The group around here usually tells newbies to be careful...what you spend on your lathe is the least expensive part of turning. In your case, they CAN'T be wrong. But then again, you got so many accessories, that you might not end up spending too much on extras. Just fall into the "Mike" trap...clean it up, get it all running properly, and use it. Try to avoid that itch calling you to completely restore it all...ugh. Have fun!

Michael James
06-24-2011, 6:43 PM
Nice haul! That should be enough to get you hooked and moving over to the round side! ;)
mj

Lee Koepke
06-24-2011, 8:47 PM
well, well, well .... You are dangerously close to never getting out of here !!! I have 'derusted' and cleaned up a few machines before, its pretty fun. Get to work, and if you need help, let us know!

mickey cassiba
06-24-2011, 9:14 PM
BW... I'm sure it's not polite to tell a Southern Lady Y S so i won't , but you do. Have fun with the new toys!!!

Mike Wenman
06-24-2011, 9:30 PM
What is this thing in the picture?

a prototype potato peeler?

Ray Mighells
06-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Belinda, I think your new guardian angel is incognito.

Donny Lawson
06-25-2011, 6:58 AM
Look like you have some nice looking tools there in the rough but with a little elbow greese you will have them working like new again. Please post more pics as you get them cleaned up.

Steve Schlumpf
07-01-2011, 5:50 PM
WOW! Go out of town for a few days and look what I miss!

Congrats Belinda! Welcome to the wonderful world of turning!

Dave Lehnert
07-01-2011, 6:05 PM
Just FYI- That is not a USA made Shopsmith but a clone made overseas called a total Shop. They went under long ago. Some Shopsmith parts fit other don't. The inside of the power headstock is the most different vs the Shopsmith.

Belinda Barfield
07-02-2011, 6:40 AM
Just FYI- That is not a USA made Shopsmith but a clone made overseas called a total Shop. They went under long ago. Some Shopsmith parts fit other don't. The inside of the power headstock is the most different vs the Shopsmith.

Yeah, Dave, I noted the name on the side but everyone kept referring to it as a Shopsmith so I did too. Sort of like all tissues seemed to be called Kleenex. If I understand things correctly Shopsmith's patent expired and Total Shop starting making virtually the same machine. However, there was one interior component that still had a current patent and in the end Shopsmith won in court. At least that what I've been told, not sure if that is actually the case or not.

Keith Westfall
07-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Belinda,

Congrats on the tool haul!!

It's too bad that they got to the stage they are presently in, but with time and effort you will have some great tools. And the history of them is a bonus...

Look forward like everyone else to see you "getting at it!"

charlie knighton
07-02-2011, 1:01 PM
great gloat, i had recently been trying to buy some all wood clamps on ebay, those things are pricey, and useful.