PDA

View Full Version : Driving from Connecticut to Denver

Daniel Thompson
06-23-2011, 11:49 PM
I will be driving from Conneticut to Denver the week of July 4th. I will probably take I80 through Pennsylvania etc. I expect to have some extra space in the 16ft rental truck and am wondering if there are any good lumber sources along that route that I should visit. I don't think I'm going to have time to get too far off the route but I would sure like to pick up some lumber along the way since sources are lacking here in the Denver area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dan

John Coloccia
06-24-2011, 12:17 AM
I will be driving from Conneticut to Denver the week of July 4th. I will probably take I80 through Pennsylvania etc. I expect to have some extra space in the 16ft rental truck and am wondering if there are any good lumber sources along that route that I should visit. I don't think I'm going to have time to get too far off the route but I would sure like to pick up some lumber along the way since sources are lacking here in the Denver area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dan

Where in Connecticut, and what are you looking for? There's some decent lumber sources in the Hartford, CT area. The Manchester Woodcraft usually has a decent supply of exotics plus stuff like Cherry, Khaya, Honduron Mahogany, etc. Berkshire wood products has an amazing selection of really spectacular pieces (it will take you a couple of hours out of your way if you're in the Hartford are). Connecticut Wood Group in Enfield and Parkerville in Manchester also have a good selection. Closer to NY, there's Condon lumber in White Plains.

tim vadas
06-24-2011, 7:51 AM
I used to stop at Polley Woodworking (they have a website) near Scranton, PA. If you're heading to Rt 80 via 84, it's not far off the highway at all. They have a nice selection of domestics at very reasonable prices. He once gave me a 12" wide, 10' long, 3" thick piece of walnut for $40.

Shawn Bergman
06-24-2011, 10:09 AM
You could stop at Horizon Wood Products, http://www.horizonevolutions.com/. There are just north of I-80 in prime cherry country. Never purchased from them, but drool each month looking at their newsletter.

Neil Brooks
06-24-2011, 10:39 AM
I drove (back) from Boston area to Northern Colorado, last year.

I stopped in the Ohio Amish country, and pretty well filled the back of my Subaru with boards bought from an Amish mill/sawyer.

I could probably figure out which one, or which town, if you needed, but ... my advice would be just to Google it. It wasn't far off my route, and ... GREAT boards at GREAT prices !

Travel safely !!

Carl Beckett
06-25-2011, 7:42 AM
Some time ago, I purchased some nice figured maple from curlymaple.com (in mid PA). I think the pricing has come up a bit and the focus has shifted more to luthier grade, but at the time I was able to get some very nice material at a 'reasonalbe' price.

In southeast Ohio there are a number of sawmills that have a great selection and good prices. Wolf Timber (somewhere south of Lancaster). Perhaps the best deals I have ever gotten have been from a mill in McAuthor OH - dont know if they are still in business but I always got top grade material at great prices.

Another option you might try is perusing the craiglist ads for individuals along the route that have a stack they are wanting to sell.

Daniel Thompson
06-25-2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded with suggestions. I appreciate the information. Hopefully I will arrive home with a nice load of lumber.